LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 10:20 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration??

does any 570 owner notice any intermittent short lived vibration?? Only occurs when gas pedal pressed. It only lasts a couple seconds and goes away...occurs quite frequently. Feel it in gas pedal and steering wheel. It might be normal operation. Wondering what others find.
Old 05-10-08, 12:49 PM
mikeivan
Driver

I have this same vibration in my steering wheel. It sort of reminds me of the vibration in the transfer case lever on my old 470 (about the same frequency, not as pronounced and only on acceleration). I took my 570 back to my dealer about it and they balanced the tires and "roadforce", even though I told them it was in the drive line. I don't think it is as strong now as when brand new but it is still there. Any other owners with this vibration and any ideas about a cause or fix?
Old 05-10-08, 01:51 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I have not noticed it. Just got back from golfing and driving about a half hour.
Drove well, golfed poorly...
Old 05-10-08, 09:21 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be the torsen differential. The 4runner/GX are know to have a slight vibration at arout 1200-1500 RPMs upon acceleration.

Most like the Torsen diff.
Old 05-11-08, 06:05 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Yes. At a particular rpm and load, I feel it in my steering wheel. I can make it go away by pressing a little harder or less hard on the gas pedal.

It does not bother me that much, I mark it up to this being the first year for the 570 and with a vehical with so much going on, there has got to be something minor to fix in the 2009 model.
Old 05-12-08, 10:02 AM
trusso
Pole Position

I do feel a vibration but only under heavy acceleration.
I feel it in any (higher horsepower) car though so it didnt strike me as odd.
Old 05-12-08, 10:39 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Mine seems worse by far when car shifts into another gear at about 35-40mph range...when its in that gear, it is most evident.

Mine is also not worsened with hard acceleration.

But it does completely cease to exist when i take my foot off the gas.
Old 05-12-08, 06:21 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Sounds like we all are feeling the same "vibration". To me, it is annoying in an $80000+ vehicle. Any ideas about how to correct this? I never felt this in my 470. I will be addressing this with my service rep at 1000 miles but any suggestions would be appreciated. I love this SUV but this vibration is bugging me supremely.
Old 05-12-08, 09:06 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Mine doesnt bother me. It just feels like a torque vibration from a powerful car. (I first thought of driving the old Mustang GT's, that kind of vibration (...Ice, Ice, Baby......sorry)
Old 05-13-08, 02:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Sounds like we all are feeling the same "vibration". To me, it is annoying in an $80000+ vehicle. Any ideas about how to correct this? I never felt this in my 470. I will be addressing this with my service rep at 1000 miles but any suggestions would be appreciated. I love this SUV but this vibration is bugging me supremely.
Feels more to me like a sympathetic vibration from the motor to the steering column. These things are surposed to be taken care of with dampening technology. Considering the vehicle is new, I am betting that it will be taken care of in the next years model.

Asking us if we have "any ideas about how to correct this" is a question for the service department. They will report to Lexus and they might, in time, come up with a solution.

Unless your vibration is WAY worst than mine you are going be "bugged" till you no longer enjoy your vehicle. The LX570 is NOT and never will be as smooth as the LX470. There are penalties to be paid for a larger displacement and more powerful engine.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 05-13-08 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:10 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Feels more to me like a sympathetic vibration from the motor to the steering column. These things are surposed to be taken care of with dampening technology.
Well, maybe your vibration is different from mine. Mine is a steady frequency and does not change frequency with the changing engine RPM. The intensity varies but the frequency remains constant, leading me to suspect the front differential or transfer case (like my 470). The problem is I feel it in the steering wheel, not the transfer case lever (which never bothered me). Thanks for the feedback, I will take it up with Lexus (again) at my 1000 mile service.
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeivan
Well, maybe your vibration is different from mine. Mine is a steady frequency and does not change frequency with the changing engine RPM. The intensity varies but the frequency remains constant, leading me to suspect the front differential or transfer case (like my 470). The problem is I feel it in the steering wheel, not the transfer case lever (which never bothered me). Thanks for the feedback, I will take it up with Lexus (again) at my 1000 mile service.
Sorry Mike.

Mine is intermittent. In fact I have not felt it in a while now that I think about it. It happened occasionally and now at 6000 miles, I can not say I have felt it in a while. My LX470 transfer case lever would vibrate but you would never know it unless you touched it, so it did not bother me either.

If yours is constant and steady I would be upset, too.
Old 05-13-08, 12:33 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I tried so hard to get it to vibrate today and couldnt..
Old 05-13-08, 04:18 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I would guess the torsion diff, too. If it's that, there's nothing you can do about it...part of the design. The 470 has a lockable open center diff. Supposedly, the car is less likely to get stuck w/o having to lock the center diff when you have a torsion diff, but I was able to get a 4runner (in 4wd mode) stuck despite it having a torsion diff. Both front tires were in soft dirt (actually crossing tire tracks left by a much larger vehicle in the bush in flat Florida). I had to lock up the center diff to get out. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed w/ my first experience w/ the torsion center diff and don't see what it offers over the lockable open diff other than vibration.
Old 05-13-08, 06:39 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torsion diff = Torsen diff I think (Torgue Sense)

Torsen is great to have, it benefits light-duty vehicles as it works great on slippery etc road conditions. It is NO substitute for a lockable diff off-road.

Quick Reply: vibration??