LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

Old 05-18-13, 09:54 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

If you want to extend your time between oil changes, running a great full synthetic oil such as Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower, German Castrol, etc. is not enough, you still have that wimpy little oil filter than doesn't have the capacity to go 12 or 15K miles! - Even if you are very conservative in your oil change frequency and change it every 3000 or 5000, a larger and better made oil filter is never a bad thing!

So here is a list of the most premium oil filters that work great on all LS models from 1990-2006 and give you ~60% more volume as well as premium features on the inside of the filter such as a silicon anti-drainback valve and high quality bypass valve of the same PSI setting as the stock Toyota filter.

here is the list of the world's most premium oil filters, in oversize, which I can expand if I have missed your favorite brand:

Motorcraft --- FL-400S
WIX XP --- 51516XP
Fram Ultra --- XG3600
K&N --- HP-2009
Mobil 1 --- M1-209
Bosch Premium --- D3422
Purolator PureONE --- PL20195
NAPA Platinum --- PFL 41516
Amsoil --- EAO34
Royal Purple --- 20-400
Toyota (NipponDenso) --- 90915-20004 (made in Japan) - this is the filter than came on your car when new, hard to find now
TRD (Toyota Racing Design) --- PTR43-00080 .....Note: this is not an oversize filter

PS - the K&N and Mobil 1 filters are the same filter internally, and with minute differences the Royal Purple and Toyota Racing Design (TRD) are as well, all 4 made on the same assembly line by Fram subsidiary FRAM Filtration (aka Champion) although the filter media on these 4 is not identical.

the Amsoil and NAPA platinum are essentially the same internally as the Wix XP who manufacturers them, although Amsoil is transitioning to Champion (FRAM Filtration) for their manufacturing.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-02-13 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 09:59 AM
diamondave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a mobile 1 m1-209 now. I always research what bigger oil filters will fit with any car i buy.
Old 05-18-13, 06:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

surprised there are not 50 comments in this thread

is everyone already doing this?
Old 05-18-13, 07:11 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not. But I think I will start. I've been running full synthetic since I bought the car, but didn't think about a bigger filter. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-18-13, 07:48 PM
diamondave
Driver

i think it was something good to bring up. thumbs up!
Old 05-18-13, 08:28 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using the bosch distance plus filter from walmart and mobil 1. One stop.. for oil and filter. I've put on nearly 30k since last march. used mobil 1 0w-20 a twice. The car has been on normal mobil 1 all its life.
Old 05-18-13, 08:29 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

It would be good if installed after filling the engine oil before start to use. Also it should have a valve which prevents the draining.

The empty oil filter needs to be filled with oil when start to use. The engine runs without the oil while this. The bigger capacity needs additional time to be filled and the engine is thirsty while this.

The genuine Porsche oil filter has a valve inside to keep the oil not to drain while engine is off. I always was in use of the genuine oil filters for my Porsche. I am doing the same for my Celsior.
Old 05-18-13, 08:59 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dengman
I've been using the bosch distance plus filter from walmart and mobil 1. One stop.. for oil and filter. I've put on nearly 30k since last march. used mobil 1 0w-20 a twice. The car has been on normal mobil 1 all its life.
but are you using the oversize filters that I mentioned or standard size?
Old 05-18-13, 09:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
It would be good if installed after filling the engine oil before start to use. Also it should have a valve which prevents the draining.

The empty oil filter needs to be filled with oil when start to use. The engine runs without the oil while this. The bigger capacity needs additional time to be filled and the engine is thirsty while this.

The genuine Porsche oil filter has a valve inside to keep the oil not to drain while engine is off. I always was in use of the genuine oil filters for my Porsche. I am doing the same for my Celsior.
all of the filters I listed have an anti-drainback valve

the orientation of the filter (upside down like RX-7 or rightside up as some other cars are, or sideways) determines whether it can prefilled, most cars can't - on a car with a filter oriented with the hole upwards, it is easy and probably not a bad idea!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-02-13 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 09:58 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
but are you using the oversize filters that I mentioned or standard size?
standard size. If walmart carries the oversized filter i might give it a try. If not I wont go out of my way to use a larger filter.
Old 05-18-13, 10:11 PM
diamondave
Driver

another advantage of using a larger filter is you will have more oil in the system which means more lubrication and oil also acts as a coolant which means your engine will run a few degrees cooler
Old 05-18-13, 10:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dengman
standard size. If walmart carries the oversized filter i might give it a try. If not I wont go out of my way to use a larger filter.
Walmart carries my favorite oversize LS400 filter, the Fram XG3600 ($8), which the crazy oil geeks at the world's largest oil & oil filter forum, Bob is the Oil Guy, seem to feel is the best oil filter money can buy.

I think Walmart may also carry a couple of the others on my list, I will check next time I am there.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-11-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 10:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diamondave
another advantage of using a larger filter is you will have more oil in the system which means more lubrication and oil also acts as a coolant which means your engine will run a few degrees cooler
you engine internal temp is controlled by the thermostat, the ECU, the engine coolant temperature sensor, etc. - it will not run cooler, nor should it.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-02-13 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 11:24 PM
diamondave
Driver

i Run Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything i own. It is the #1 rated oil in the world. Amsoil use to be the best but Mobil 1 passed them a few years back. LS i usually agree with everything you say. I follow your posts like they are scripture but i have to disagree with you on this one. I personally cant stand fram anything. I have done alot of research on fram and they have had several lawsuits due to their faulty filters.
Old 05-19-13, 12:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

As well, do an oil analysis. If this isn't done the discussion is academic, then you can determine the results on your own car. $35/per with TBN from Blackstone but if you do a pre-pay on 6+, you get a nice price break.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!