Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS300 Trunk Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 11:37 AM
tevieray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Trunk Won't Open

I recently purchased a used '03 GS300. It's in excellent condition and I believe it has been well maintained. I've had it for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden, the trunk won't open! If I push the button on the key, I can hear a click as if it's trying to open, but it doesn't open. Same with the release on the dash... I hear a click, but the trunk doesn't open. When I try the key in the lock, I can't turn it. I know there's a button (with keyed lock) next to the release on the dash, and I've tried locking and unlocking that, but it still won't open. Is there another switch somewhere that I'm missing? Or is there a way into the trunk to oil the latch? (assuming it's a mechanical problem.) Any other thoughts? Any help would be appreciatted...

Thanks!
Tom
Old 03-28-09, 07:38 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. I think there is another switch inside the glove box that can cancel the trunk opener. You just have to open the glove box and look for the trunk switch.
The following users liked this post:
paulnaude0 (05-09-21)
Old 03-28-09, 07:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

There's a second switch in the glovebox on a 2nd gen GS? Didn't know that! Thought the only valet swich is below the steering wheel on the right. Here's a thread with a similar problem and pics of the valet lock and some member descriptions on how to pop it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=valet

Old 03-29-09, 07:00 AM
tevieray
Driver School Candidate

Yeah - this is the arrangement my GS has. (I also have a '96 ES with the release in the glove box). But this picture shows how my GS is (the one with the problem). Problem is, when I release that "Valet" button with the key, it STILL won't let me open the trunk... by any method!

I've been so happy with my older ES over the years that I decided to buy another Lexus this time... (my wife is now driving the ES) So I bought this GS and I have to say, I love this car! But this one silly little problem is gonna drive me crazy! I bought the car used, but I think I may take it into a Lexus dealer before I screw something up!

Thanks for the help guys! If you can think of anything else, I'd appreciatte it!
Tom
Old 03-29-09, 02:43 PM
tevieray
Driver School Candidate

So - does anyone know how to take the back seat out? ...and is that a way into the trunk?
Old 03-29-09, 05:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Once you get the seats fully out, this is what it looks like (so not easy to get through still)
Old 10-14-11, 10:03 AM
TexCandi
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem and went to look for a switch/button in the glove box. I did not find it. I have not been able to open my trunk for about 4 months. I thought the guys that did my oil change had done something to it since I asked them to take a look at why my back light indicator was on. Well, they killed my battery in the process...ugh. But I digress...I finally asked my husband to come out and see if he could find the switch that was referred to in this thread and he figured it out, apparently the oil change guys had indeed put it on valet lock, but the switch/button is under the gas lock and trunk lever and it takes the key to unlock it. It works now. I have a 2002 GS300.
Old 07-17-14, 06:03 PM
jg09
Driver School Candidate

Default Joe

My remote control truck lock on a 2006, GS300, has quit twice on me for no apparent reason. The only way I have found to regain control with the remote or the button in the control box lower left on the dash, is to disconnect the battery cables. For some reason this will reset the truck lock and you will be able to open the truck with the remote again. The bad news is, when you disconnect the battery, it messes up the electric windows and moon roof, but they can be reset.

Last edited by jg09; 07-17-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 03:06 PM
Treebones
2nd gear

Default '04 GS 300 Trunk Inoperative

I'm having g this issues with my 04 lexus gs300. Trunk worked when I first got it then accidentally pressed in the valet lock. Unlocked it with master key nut the Trunk still won't open. Went in through the back seat to pull emergency latch but still won't open. Key cylinder on outside of Trunk wont turn. Key fob doesn't open Trunk either. Now here the kicker... when I pull the Trunk release button under the steering wheel I hear the latch operating. When I press the Trunk open button on both Key fobs the latch operates but does not open Trunk. There is No override switch in the glove compartment either. I've tried everything. NEED HELP!