IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would you buy this? Custom IS250

Old 07-07-14, 12:39 AM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy this? Custom IS250

Hey guys I just need some advice. I could potentially be buying this car I just want other peoples input. It is an custom AWD is250.

I talked him down to $15,500. I want to know what u guys think. Here is the link for pics.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4553312950.html

Last edited by Zen470; 07-07-14 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 12:52 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks good, and for 15k doesnt seem to bad... Now hopefully the paint is in great condition sometimes the wrap could be to cover up things. But what else is done to the car? Kbb says it should go for 16k so you may have a good deal
Old 07-07-14, 01:01 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, after modding my car, I would never buy a modded car seeing how so many problems can go wrong while modding. I would only buy it if they're truly known around the community as there is a higher chance of them baby-ing their car. The guy doesn't even specify what kind of exhaust it is. It looks like a Megan or HKS one though. I'm from Cali and I bought my 08 IS250 with 60k miles for 16.5k Pearl White on black. If you like the matte look then it may be a plus for you though. Just got to consider maybe he got keyed or something.
Old 07-07-14, 01:02 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

One more thing, didn't notice you said AWD. So it could be a good deal. Except if you're trying to lower the car or get an aftermarket midpipe, I suggest you get a RWD one. If you don't care for VIP or slammed, you can get a slight drop without vibration or go on bags.
Old 07-07-14, 01:52 AM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

I looked at it and test drove it today. I have never drove another IS so I had nothing to compare it to.

I asked him what exhaust it was and he didn't know. It does sound mean though ! It is lowered on Eibach springs. Yes it is AWD. It also has F sport intake.

As far as driving and handling.. It felt pretty solid. I guess I expected it to be faster.. Seems like my old es300 is quicker due to the 3.0 liter v6.

He said it also comes with the original exhaust and wheels which I could resell for more $$
Old 07-07-14, 01:54 AM
Zen470
Driver School Candidate

There is a lot he didn't know about work done to the car which makes me kind of skeptical. Definately want some more feedback from you guys though !
Old 07-07-14, 04:44 AM
MrBalistic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try getting a car fax on it, it might give you some insight on the vehicle and help you make a decision that your happy with. If it has previous accident then it could be worth a lot less that he is selling for and you maybe able to by it a lot cheaper.
Old 07-07-14, 07:18 AM
Flium10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zen470
There is a lot he didn't know about work done to the car which makes me kind of skeptical. Definately want some more feedback from you guys though !
Is he a 2nd owner? Personally, I could tell you every single modification I've done so far due to the fact it's such an engaging process.
Old 07-07-14, 09:33 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Be careful with the matte blue like everyone said. It looks like the car is plastidipped and I would assume that either the car has gotten into an accident (without a car incident history check) because starfire pearl is very hard and expensive to match. You can tell it's dipped because the edges of the doors are free of any color, meaning vinyl was probably not used to wrap the exterior. Also with vinyl you can usually spot paint imperfections under the wrap, with dip it fills the scratches and imperfections.

I would also ask the owner when was the last time he checked the is250 of carbon build up within the engine.
Old 07-07-14, 10:48 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally wouldnt because of the plastidip. Who knows what happened to the car underneath. Ive seen people plastidip to cover unpainted panels from an accident. If it was OEM white, i would jump all over it but not that plastidip crap...

The interior seems fine and find out what kind of suspension it is on. Honestly, at that mileage, you can find a few stock ones for cheaper. I got mine with 78k for only $14.5

EDIT: Also that is an aftermarket NAV so don't let him price you out at a car WITH navigation if its not the OEM. The gap under the vent is a dead give away
Old 07-07-14, 06:30 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Have him agree to a price, but then tell him you'll take the car only AFTER the matte blue is removed. If he says no deal, then walk. He's hiding something.

Did anyone else notice there was an orange matte "IS-F" In the driveway?
Old 07-07-14, 09:48 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

have him lower the price for putting on that plastidip and remove it
Old 07-08-14, 06:19 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I personally wouldnt because of the plastidip. Who knows what happened to the car underneath. Ive seen people plastidip to cover unpainted panels from an accident. If it was OEM white, i would jump all over it but not that plastidip crap...
^This.....I would never buy a plastidipped car just because you don't know. Paint could be flawless.....but who knows.

Originally Posted by Gville350
Have him agree to a price, but then tell him you'll take the car only AFTER the matte blue is removed. If he says no deal, then walk. He's hiding something.

Did anyone else notice there was an orange matte "IS-F" In the driveway?
Just because it is dipped doesn't mean he is hiding something. I know plenty of people that dip their cars just because. And the other dipped car in the drivewaty leads me to believe that he may be like that too. It's not an ISF though....I may be wrong but it doesn't even look like an IS.

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
have him lower the price for putting on that plastidip and remove it
That's ridiculous.....plastidip isn't permanent. that would be like telling someone to come down in price because they have tail light tint or decals on their window.
Old 07-08-14, 06:39 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

whether it is plastidip or not...i would still buy it quickly after an inspection report done by Lexus.
whatever Lexus finds wrong with it...subtract that amount from price or tell him to get it fixed.
bring it to atlanta...i will buy it
trust me, it will be sold quickly.
Good Luck
Old 07-08-14, 06:43 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how much does it cost to plastidip a whole car like this and how long will it last?
looks great...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy this? Custom IS250