Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tampa Bay SC400 needs help - have an hour of time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 08:06 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tampa Bay SC400 needs help - have an hour of time?

Hello all - I've been on the boards since 2006, learned a LOT in this time, watched the rise and fall of OLT, contributed a few bits of knoledge to the community along way the myself... and now I'm up against a repair that's finally driven me to ask for a bit of assistance.

I've been talking with another member on here named randal - who's made up one of the most comprehensive 1UZ-FE Timing Belt replacement tutorials on the net. His tut (as most are) is based on the 98+ VVT-i "interference" version of of this motor... but for the most part the basics hold tru across the model years.

This said, something is up with my 93 that isn't making sense - and rather than go get into it all here (again) - I live in Tampa FL, I have the entire front of the engine torn down, crank and cam gears off, tensioner removed and belt in hand - all I need is someone to go "put that there, do this, move that... ok, your timing is set" and that's it.

So, who has done this job, can help me set the timing correctly, and wants $100 (maybe more) for their time? I'll also supply the beers and food - and the work space is fairly comfortable to boot

Please PM me - after working in the evenings after the day thing or in between weekend yard work and *life* for nearly 2 months on this (and three separate tear downs to try it over each time.... Yeah - I'm FAAAST at it now!) - I'm giving up and asking for assistance.

Last edited by CLRH2O; 06-24-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-24-14, 09:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

get a hold of the manual, its much easier on a 93 shouldn't be that bad just follow all the steps in the right order.
Old 06-24-14, 03:37 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an excellent tutorial http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html for the pre-VVT-i SC400 engines. Same engine as the LS-400. Very good pictures and step by step I found this very helpful. Also just so you know I've been where you are and done that as I'm sure many others here can attest. Don't give up. Also found this very helpful to identify the correct timing marks http://www.lextreme.com/timing2.html I hope this is helpful and if you have time post specific problems and others can help. There are some extremely talented people on this forum, Good Luck
Old 06-26-14, 07:15 AM
stevegrizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check ur pm's
Old 07-01-14, 02:09 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys - those two sites were what I've been using - and couldn't have made it as far as I had without them honestly.

@Stevegrizz and Ali SC3:

-The guy who's previously worked on this car for me (and who used to do a small amount of performance work in Tampa) got up with me last Thursday, and by Sunday night it was sorted out. Apparently there was slop in my left side CAM from loose & worn out shaft bearings!.. which combined with a not fully extending hydraulic belt tensioner was the double whammy of pain my timing was having. Regardless - it's done.... WHEW~!

BUT - now I'm back to the task of the hesitation and idle / stalling issues. My IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) seems to only actuate in one direction... toward the closed position. Currently I'm pulling off the plunger assembly, setting it to about 3/4 open, unplugging the electrical connector so the ECU cant close it on me and driving it like that. But, with it in this condition, there is a noticeable loss of power (bogging) under acceleration, and when you get to cruising speed the car shakes badly forward and backward (Bucking) due to not having the right airflow for that driving condition.

So, I'm back to looking at this thread again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-issues.html

But WOW is that a lot to get into.

@ 164k miles, my SC400 turned into quite the nightmare of fixes. Leaking Valve cover gaskets, Idle problems and the related; Hesitation, Bogging, Surging and Bucking at cruising speed (or/and in cruise), Timing issues (fixed finally!), ABS light on, Electrical brown outs, dimming headlights and dash lights when turn signals used or windows rolled up or down or brakes applied.... and more LOL - I must REALLY love this car
Old 07-02-14, 06:11 AM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all congratulations. It sure feels good when you finally get things sorted out. I would say you are right on the money with the IACV being the issue especially since you have noticed that it has a mechanical issue which is very common on these cars. What you are describing is exactly the issues I had when my IACV was gummed up. Check out this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html
to show how to clean the IACV. The car will be night and day and no more bucking ( around 45 mph if I remember) and idle and starting will be restored. Don't look at anything else until you get the IACV sorted out. Good luck you are almost there.
Old 07-02-14, 09:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

use some wd40 on the IACV shaft ans see if you can work it loose to where it easily moves back and forward. soemtimes some gunk or whatever will not let it go one direction. sometimes its just bad magnets and it has to be replaced, but if you go to turn it and can hardly do it then it may be that its gunked up and the magnets can't overcome it anymore. the wd40 and working it in and out help.