LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rough Ride and Squeaks!

Old 05-23-14, 06:48 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rough Ride and Squeaks!

I have been experience some rough ride, and i am always in "comfort" mode for the air suspension. I have been changing the suspension over to "sport" for a mile or two then back into "comfort" and that seems to fix it for a day or so and then it goes rougher again.

I have also noticed when i am riding with the windows down that every time i hit a bump not only is there a jarring jolt, but also a squeak almost like a shriek that comes from presumably the suspension in the front ?

I would like to know if this is a sign of failing air bags, a bad compressor, bad sensors or even if the control arms are in question at this point. . .?
Old 05-23-14, 09:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Could be anything! I'd take it the dealer to reproduce the noise and ride concerns and see what they say.
Old 05-23-14, 01:32 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I guess i'll have to set up an appointment for that tech to ride with me. . .

would be nice to know going in though.
Old 05-23-14, 04:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Not sure how the air suspension works but you could check the ride height just after you change from sport to comfort and then leave the car overnight and check it again in the morning.
Old 05-27-14, 05:14 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Still getting the squeaks. . .

I'll have to schedule an appointment sometime with a tech to ride with me.
Old 05-31-14, 07:38 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE!

I took my car to Discount Tire because i was having vibration at speed, and they came back with some interesting news!

They told me that my front tires were cupping, not on the inside like usual, but on the outside!! The tech said that it is more common with cars with air suspension and that the camber was messed up which allowed the cupping on the outside of the tires.

I'm hoping i can drive off the damage to the tires as i still have 7/32nds on all 4 corners, but in the meantime i will have some more amo when i go into lexus.
Old 06-01-14, 06:32 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

The noise and rough ride is likely due to a failed air shock. There is a TSIB and its a pretty known issue.
Old 06-02-14, 11:02 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

I have set up an appointment for 12:15 tomorrow to have a tech ride shotgun with me.

I will take the same roads that I take everyday to get to the Lexus car wash and let him feel the jarring ride as my car jumps over the bumps, and (if it isn't raining) we'll drive with the windows down so that we can hear the squeaking/shrieking noises that emanate from the depths.

I will also be sure to drop comments about the TSIB and the control arms in that seem to be a known problem in the 2007's.
Old 06-02-14, 12:38 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
I have set up an appointment for 12:15 tomorrow to have a tech ride shotgun with me.

I will take the same roads that I take everyday to get to the Lexus car wash and let him feel the jarring ride as my car jumps over the bumps, and (if it isn't raining) we'll drive with the windows down so that we can hear the squeaking/shrieking noises that emanate from the depths.

I will also be sure to drop comments about the TSIB and the control arms in that seem to be a known problem in the 2007's.
Definitely keep us posted!

My 2008 has been a "laboratory" of sorts in terms of suspension squeaks, popping noises and vibrations, as I have posted in various threads. Basically, many of these now-known issues were not so when my car was fixed. For instance, I got the new design of control arms before a TSIB was even issued. My best guess is that your squeaks are control arm related, and at this point that issue is so well known, that I can't imagine they would give you a hard time. It also affects other model years besides 2007.

In terms of the stiff ride (and maybe some of the noises), it could definitely be a bad strut (or two), though the fact that you can make the problem go away (albeit temporarily) makes me wonder if the issue is with some electronics/controls.

In any case, best of luck!

Last edited by caha14; 06-02-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:39 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

control arms....
Old 06-03-14, 12:40 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Well the ride and listen went ok and he said that my car certainly didn't feel as bad as some he has run into in the past.

However, he was driving and was going a little slower than i would normally drive and i notice the worst of it at speed. He understood what i was talking about and said that he would like to have the car for the day Thursday so that he could do more testing including some highway runs, (and hopefully he won't feel obligated to drive like a granny without me in the car )

He didn't seem to think that the airbags were bad, but said that he would look into everything. He claimed that the front end felt tight but we were able to replicate the terrible squeaking noise when i had him speed up over a bump and he noticed a very unsettled jump when the car hit a bump in the mall around 25 MPH.

Thankfully he was fully aware of the problems with these cars and wants to dig in a little deeper. He did tell me that i could not compare the ride to my ls430 as it was an entirely different vehicle (and not as good handling IMO) so perhaps there is some trade off. . .
Old 06-06-14, 07:34 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Well guess what they found!?

They said that the rear air struts and actuators were bad and had to be replaced and that all 4 upper control arms had to be replaced.

The full report can be seen on this "personalized website" : http://www.knowyourvehicle.com/custo...AKTO29POU4GZGP

The car will be in service for another day or two, and i'm overjoyed that i wasn't having phantom rough ride or something. Looking forward to a more cloud-like ride!
Old 06-06-14, 07:37 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

So, your extended warranty/CPO has paid for itself already!
Old 06-06-14, 12:08 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Just about! I've had the $400-$500 right window motor fixed, and this is another $1000-$1100 or so. . .

I paid a little too much for my Platinum Extended Warranty at $2400, but then again, I've only had the car for 6 months!
Old 06-09-14, 02:44 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Default Getting Started!

The Service Manager sent me an update pic, and will be trying to do so throughout the process.
Attached Thumbnails Rough Ride and Squeaks!-_img_1191.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Ride and Squeaks!