Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe

Old 06-01-14, 04:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe

Bad news, forced-induction fans. It appears that Hyundai has laid waste to its potent 2.0-liter turbocharged four-banger for the upcoming 2015 Genesis Coupe. The 274-horsepower base engine is an attractive entry point for buyers looking to experience impressive rear-drive performance at a reasonable starting price of $27,245.
The report comes from The Korean Car Blog, which reveals that all three 2.0-liter options (Base, R-Spec, and Premium) of the 2015 Genesis Coupe have been cut, along with the Grand Touring trim on the 3.8-liter V6 model. However, a new 3.8 Base trim has been added to account for the lack of a smaller engine, which includes the six-speed manual and eight-speed automatic transmission

The move appears rather late in the current Genesis Coupe’s lifespan, however it does help support two important shifts in the model. Hyundai seems to be closing the gap between the Genesis Coupe and Sedan, the latter of which starts at $35,200 – nearly $7,000 more than the two-door. Secondly, it seems Hyundai is scaling down options for the current model with its sights set on debuting the next-gen Coupe in 2016.

The decision to chase Infiniti’s coattails in the luxury market won’t likely appease the vast tuning crowd that absolutely loves these four-cylinder engines and their ability to handle higher boost, but it does grant the Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS a much larger share of the rear-drive coupe marketplace.
Old 06-01-14, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Reported on #39 and #41

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...concept-3.html

Yeah they are trying to move the Genesis Coupe upscale it seems
Old 06-01-14, 06:10 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luxury cars should have at least six-cylinders. Glad Hyundai noticed that. And for this hyundai gets my respect
Old 06-01-14, 07:25 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rop-turbo-four

"The comments suggest Hyundai is paving the way for a much more upmarket second-generation Genesis Coupe, previewed last year by the stunning HND-9 coupe concept. The new model is expected to be introduced for the 2016 model year and share its platform and technology with the 2015 Genesis sedan. To fill the void of the four-cylinder Genesis Coupe, we’re likely to see a more potent Veloster Turbo, something hinted at by Hyundai just this week in the form of the Veloster Midship concept."
Old 06-01-14, 07:26 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Luxury cars should have at least six-cylinders. Glad Hyundai noticed that. And for this hyundai gets my respect
What does that make of the 428i, A5, C300?
Old 06-01-14, 11:14 PM
LexFather

The genesis never met sales goals so maybe that's another reason. And it used to start at 23k..
Starting at 27k today didn't help.

Never understood why 2 cars shared the same name but are very different. I assume the next one will be like the sedan but a coupe in regards to execution. I just see even less people buying a more expensive Hyundai coupe.

This move also goes exactly against those here saying how everyone is going to 4 cylinders.

Old 06-01-14, 11:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I just see even less people buying a more expensive Hyundai coupe.

This move also goes exactly against those here saying how everyone is going to 4 cylinders.
i think you answered your own question. hyundai will sell so few that it won't affect their cafe score, but keeping the v6 has them more upmarket / refined than a turbo 4.
Old 06-02-14, 01:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

This is one of those things Hyundai is still confused and messed up on. The Genesis Coupe is too removed from the sedan to be upscale. Those who buy it are kids not interested in premium, luxury, touring coupes. Those who do buy it want to race and mod. It needs the 2.0T to stay youthful, current, and competitive with other brands catching on to the same engine. They are going backwards by removing it. The model does not sell well and that is likely a major factor in cutting all these packages and engine out. They also desperately need to give it it's own name and identity.
Old 06-02-14, 05:53 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is one of those things Hyundai is still confused and messed up on. The Genesis Coupe is too removed from the sedan to be upscale. Those who buy it are kids not interested in premium, luxury, touring coupes. Those who do buy it want to race and mod. It needs the 2.0T to stay youthful, current, and competitive with other brands catching on to the same engine. They are going backwards by removing it. The model does not sell well and that is likely a major factor in cutting all these packages and engine out. They also desperately need to give it it's own name and identity.
The Genesis sedan and coupe did share basically name only but that may change with the next redesign. Hyundai is doing like they did for the Genesis sedan and taking the coupe upmarket however in the Luxury compact class as opposed to the luxury midsize class of the Sedan.

The new coupe is said to based on the HND-9 concept, a car that looks much more upscale than the current boy racer looking Genesis coupe.
Old 06-02-14, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

LOL holy narrow stereotypes batman. i know a guy who's 70 who bought a Genesis turbo and loves it.

and your message seems quote 'confused and messed up' in that you're saying the coupe and sedan are too different yet you're saying the coupe needs to keep the 2.0T. seems to me hyundai knows what they're doing by aligning the coupe more with the sedan.
Old 06-02-14, 10:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL holy narrow stereotypes batman. i know a guy who's 70 who bought a Genesis turbo and loves it.

and your message seems quote 'confused and messed up' in that you're saying the coupe and sedan are too different yet you're saying the coupe needs to keep the 2.0T. seems to me hyundai knows what they're doing by aligning the coupe more with the sedan.
I wouldn't say stereotype. It's a fascinating real world study of demographics and culture in car rich Southern California. I've continually noticed a lack of respect and courtesy from Genesis Coupe drivers.

I use the words "confused and messed up" with Hyundai because they continue to grow as a company, yet make strange decisions. The new Sonata went from fluid and stylish, to plain, conservative, and dated (dashboard). Why go such a route when the current model proved to be a smash hit? Now the new Genesis sedan displays a similarly dated and retro Crown Victoria dashboard. They are an inconsistent company, with a rich history of odd marketing choices and rushed face-lifts. Selling two different cars with the same name under one dealership is a perfect example of an effort that has not gone anywhere. As someone said two posts above, the Coupe has funky styling in a boy-racer sort of way. Dropping the 2.0T doesn't fit it's market target.
Old 06-03-14, 02:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yowps3
Generally I would agree........in the sense that when I'm personally buying a car, I would always prioritize getting the highest available engine (because for me, I do not consider cost or pricing as a factor)

However, I do wonder if this move would hurt sales.

And whether this may have an impact of the aftermarket or tuning scene for the Genesis Coupe.........
Old 06-03-14, 04:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
However, I do wonder if this move would hurt sales.

And whether this may have an impact of the aftermarket or tuning scene for the Genesis Coupe.........
It absolutely will. But fact of the matter is this car has all of a year before its replacement shows up, which will be moving upmarket.
Old 06-03-14, 07:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I use the words "confused and messed up" with Hyundai because they continue to grow as a company, yet make strange decisions. The new Sonata went from fluid and stylish, to plain, conservative, and dated (dashboard). Why go such a route when the current model proved to be a smash hit?
i'll bite... when you're trying to break into a market, you often go disruptive, controversial, break the mold, etc. once you're in the market, you often then become more conventional because you don't need to be controversial. mazda, subaru, volvo, and other small players have 'different' offerings to try to stand out in a crowded field. as subaru in particular has become more successful, their vehicles are becoming more conventional, although their product strategy and marketing has been EXCELLENT with a very dedicated and growing following.

As someone said two posts above, the Coupe has funky styling in a boy-racer sort of way. Dropping the 2.0T doesn't fit it's market target.
it does if the new one won't be as 'funky'.

product marketing always has trade-offs too.
Old 06-03-14, 08:07 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Reported on #39 and #41

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...concept-3.html

Yeah they are trying to move the Genesis Coupe upscale it seems
Doesn't seem to be stopping audi and bmw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai Axed the Turbo Four in the 2015 Genesis Coupe