NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

New NX will modernize Lexus, but does it meet the style?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 08:03 AM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New NX will modernize Lexus, but does it meet the style?

Does this vehicle match the Lexus style? Are you ready to welcome host of new interior features by Lexus, which will probably modernize the brand. Or...?

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/lexus...odernize-brand

The main information panel is now added to the top of the center dash. It sticks up from the dash in the way the CT 200h’ screen does. This is all the rage these days and every car from the Mazda3 to many Audis use this new look. To our eye it looks like the screen was left out and added back after the design was complete (we know that isn’t the case). Some say it looks like an aftermarket NAV unit sitting atop the dash. We would be interested to hear our readers’ thoughts about this new design trend. We may be missing the benefits of this look and are open to understanding it better.
Attached Thumbnails New NX will modernize Lexus, but does it meet the style?-nx_concept_interior_0.jpg  

Last edited by lexicanto; 05-19-14 at 08:04 AM. Reason: I thought I had to post the image through the button too, but since the attachment already shows, I am removing image.
Old 05-19-14, 12:54 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Unfortunately, the photo above does NOT accurately represent what will be sold.

The NX is not any more dramatic as the current IS's; which look pretty damn good...!

Yeah, I am ALREADY ready for new and futuristic designs, by every auto maker...!
Old 05-20-14, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think the exterior fits right into the new styling direction of Lexus, and I quite like it. It seems a bit like an SUV version of my IS, if that makes sense.

While I like the interior, I was hoping that the dash would incorporate the horizontal design used in other models, like the new LS, IS, GS, and ES. Not a deal breaker for me in any way, I just prefer the horizontal design with the seamless integration of the nav display.
Old 05-20-14, 12:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think the exterior fits right into the new styling direction of Lexus, and I quite like it. It seems a bit like an SUV version of my IS, if that makes sense.
Makes total sense as I see the NX the same way "IS-Crossover".

I'm not a big fan of the "tablet-slapped-on-the-dash" look but at least the NX has a more integrated look with half of it's rear casing embedded into the dash. The Q3's has less of an integrated look while the 3 and GLA pushes this further and has the worst "aftermarket" look for me.

Old 05-20-14, 03:30 PM
LexFather

To me only the Audi SQ5 meets it for style. Oddly enough while the RX is called "vanilla" its interior is also very modern and stylish. If it was German people would be raving how its the second coming of the Mona Lisa

Those seats and red stitching is simply delicious!
Old 05-20-14, 04:24 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Makes total sense as I see the NX the same way "IS-Crossover".

I'm not a big fan of the "tablet-slapped-on-the-dash" look but at least the NX has a more integrated look with half of it's rear casing embedded into the dash. The Q3's has less of an integrated look while the 3 and GLA pushes this further and has the worst "aftermarket" look for me.

Other than the tablet screen, the interior of Mazda 3, GLA and Q3 look fine. But with the tablet screen in consideration, GLA and NX have better integration because the screen is sort of partially immersed/sitting in the trims to make it less sticking out.

For Q3, the challenge is the screen seems to be retractable and can be hidden. I guess the position of the tablet screen for Q3 is chosen for better viewing angle which is specific to elements in the interior cabin.
Old 05-20-14, 04:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Q5, more of an NX competitor, has the screen integrated into the dahs.
Old 05-20-14, 06:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

New NX will modernize Lexus, but does it meet the style?

Started with L-Finesse, evolved with the GS and the Spindle, IS, GX RC and NX are the future. So yes..
Old 05-20-14, 07:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Other than the tablet screen, the interior of Mazda 3, GLA and Q3 look fine. But with the tablet screen in consideration, GLA and NX have better integration because the screen is sort of partially immersed/sitting in the trims to make it less sticking out.

For Q3, the challenge is the screen seems to be retractable and can be hidden. I guess the position of the tablet screen for Q3 is chosen for better viewing angle which is specific to elements in the interior cabin.
are you sure you are talking about GLA? NX here has only resemblance of integration, GLA looks like someone stuck nicer aftermarket unit on their car.

NX's is half recessed, half outside.
Old 05-20-14, 08:16 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you sure you are talking about GLA? NX here has only resemblance of integration, GLA looks like someone stuck nicer aftermarket unit on their car.

NX's is half recessed, half outside.
Yes, I was talking about GLA but you are right. I didn't look quite close enough. Indeed, it is not as integrated as in NX. Still it is better than Q3 or Mazda 3. The screen in GLA is slotted between the trims.
Old 05-20-14, 08:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Q5, more of an NX competitor, has the screen integrated into the dahs.
Agree.

The GLA, Q3 (and Mazda 3) were shown above merely to demonstrate there are various degrees of the "tablet-look" from partially integrated to barely integrated.

And to the OP, for sure, the new Spindle Grill has been the turning point for Lexus design and is continuing towards a unique, non-conformist look.
Old 05-21-14, 05:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree.

The GLA, Q3 (and Mazda 3) were shown above merely to demonstrate there are various degrees of the "tablet-look" from partially integrated to barely integrated.

And to the OP, for sure, the new Spindle Grill has been the turning point for Lexus design and is continuing towards a unique, non-conformist look.
Gotcha. Tks.
Old 05-21-14, 09:26 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Merc looks like crap.
Old 05-29-14, 09:46 AM
lexicanto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing the pics AndyL, look very good.
Old 05-31-14, 02:11 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus NX looks great inside, but the wheel design needs to be better.