GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Opportunity to get into a GS300 - your thoughts?

Old 05-11-14, 08:17 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opportunity to get into a GS300 - your thoughts?

Update - got the car! pics below

Hey all, I'll try to be brief.

Was able to snag a base 04 ES330 last September with only 45K on it (that's low!). Love the car, but the lumbar motor has recently gone out causing the lumbar to not retract fully which is KILLING my back. Dealership wants $900-ish to replace the motor.

At the same time, the Lexus dealership where I bought my current ES has a 2005 base GS300 in mint condition with only about 45000-ish miles as well. They're having trouble moving it so I might be able to talk them down and get it for a few thousand out of pocket between that and the trade in for my ES. So it's either pay $900 to get my seat fixed or snag a GS for a small bit more.

I love the way the GS looks. Need to take a longer test drive than I took last weekend to get a good feel for it.

My questions/concerns:

1. How's the pick up in it? I was impressed how well my 800 lb heavier ES was able to get out of its own way. Not looking for a dragster (had a 500hp GTO before baby came along, those days are past me), but something that can at least get out of its own way. Getting a GS 430 is not an available option, sorry.
2. I'm disappointed in the gas mileage (on paper) for the GS for such a light car, but what has your real world highway mileage been like? My commute is about 85% highway.
3. Anyone who's had both cars, which have you liked more in an enjoyable daily commuter?
4. My ES was a BEAST in the snow last year. I'll be using high quality all season tires and sandbags in the rear if necessary for the GS, how has your snow experiences been on proper (non-summer) tires?

Anything else I'm missing? I know I'm giving up a bit of practicality, but seems like it will be a bit more fun of a car. However I'm currently in daddy mode driving around an 11 month daughter daily. Your thoughts are welcome.

edit: got the car, pics below

Last edited by mulasien; 05-19-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-11-14, 08:20 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Also, I noticed on the power steering column, when moving it up and down, it acts like it hesitates for a brief moment before moving up or down, then acting as normal. Telescoping is smooth with no stutter step. Is this normal for this car?
Old 05-11-14, 10:11 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Both are great reliable cars, the GS should be faster, and sportier feeling. It is RWD and it is pretty abysmal in snow unless you have good tires, preferably snow tires. I think the GS is a better looking car, but the ES I've heard is quieter, less backseat room I believe in the GS. I'd say take a longer test drive and see how you feel. In all honesty the dealership likely has the car overpriced as they always do, you could likely find a better deal on craigslist or on here
Old 05-12-14, 05:30 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Lukas.
The snow question is causing me the most hesitation. If it's passable with proper prep then it's not so bad. I haven't heard of a mass rash of accidents of GS's so it can't be THAT terrible, can it?

Does your steering wheel have a slight stutter when going up and down on your GS?
Old 05-12-14, 08:22 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mulasien
The snow question is causing me the most hesitation. If it's passable with proper prep then it's not so bad. I haven't heard of a mass rash of accidents of GS's so it can't be THAT terrible, can it?

Does your steering wheel have a slight stutter when going up and down on your GS?
If you're happy with the ES you could remove the seat, take out the lumbar motor and clean it out. The telescope steering column on the GS uses the similar motor and it's been clean out and regreased back to operating conditions (search telescope steering). I would not drop $900 bucks on a seat motor when it can be cleaned for under $6 can of brake cleaner/alcohol. The GS 300 is a fine car.
Old 05-12-14, 09:17 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i've never personally driven mine in the snow, but from what i hear from other members, their GSs have been great in the snow and have never really had any issues.

mine doesn't have stutter moving the steering wheel, and mine is an 01. i really havent had any issues with her. pickup is good, the girl can move. (she's got 338k miles on her and she's still a beast) honestly the best car i've owned/driven. comparing her to my boyfriend's SC, she gets up a bit quicker (but definitely isn't racecar status haha)

overall i don't think that you would be disappointed with the GS, but that's just my opinion
Old 05-12-14, 11:39 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I drive in mn. First winter I had all season tires that were over halfway through their tread and I slid a lot, constantly felt I would lose control, although I never actually did, this last winter I put blizzak snow tires on and it handled better than most other peoples cars, no problems at all
Old 05-12-14, 12:42 PM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I drive in mn. First winter I had all season tires that were over halfway through their tread and I slid a lot, constantly felt I would lose control, although I never actually did, this last winter I put blizzak snow tires on and it handled better than most other peoples cars, no problems at all
yeah, but many cars slide on snow that have low treads. that's doesn't have much to do with the GS itself haha.
Old 05-12-14, 02:16 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Thanks for the input all. Yeah, the snow issue is going to be a big one for me. I'll probably load in sandbags and see how the tires do. If it's bad, I'll get me some snow tires quick. If it's something crazy like a foot of snow outside, I'm not going out anyway. As long as I can make it in an inch or two I'd be fine. Fortunately we don't have any large hills around here so that should help a smidgen.

I was able to take a longer test drive of the car in question during my lunch break today. I'm definitely impressed. I would have been nice if it was a 3rd gen 06, but it's still a great package for what it is. Might pull the trigger in a couple days if we can get the numbers to work.
Old 05-12-14, 02:22 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

I would get a full replacement used seat for your ES and call it a day...
Old 05-12-14, 02:23 PM
yada
Pit Crew

Good luck with buy.
Old 05-19-14, 06:30 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Little update. I got the car! It feels oh SO much better to drive than the ES, and everything is in flawless condition.

I posted pics on the GTO board I still frequent if you want to check them out.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...2#post14837722
Old 05-19-14, 07:14 AM
tereck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input all. Yeah, the snow issue is going to be a big one for me. I'll probably load in sandbags and see how the tires do. If it's bad, I'll get me some snow tires quick. If it's something crazy like a foot of snow outside, I'm not going out anyway. As long as I can make it in an inch or two I'd be fine. Fortunately we don't have any large hills around here so that should help a smidgen.

I was able to take a longer test drive of the car in question during my lunch break today. I'm definitely impressed. I would have been nice if it was a 3rd gen 06, but it's still a great package for what it is. Might pull the trigger in a couple days if we can get the numbers to work.
Well I live in central oregon and this past winter we had like 2 feet of snow . And lot of icy roads. I have a 2000 GS400. Knowing is a rwd does way better then my wife's fwd 06 Nissan quest. ?? She now drives more the GS then her van!! Smh. Lol. I'm not worried to drive my GS on Any road condition. It worked great and this is how i felt was my trick to drive just fine.i have and all season tires almost new. Just flip the switch to snow mode. On really icy conditions i switch the shifter to manual shifting. ( to help u brake) = flawless drive
Good luck

Last edited by tereck; 05-19-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 07:26 AM
littlebird
Driver

Little update. I got the car! It feels oh SO much better to drive than the ES, and everything is in flawless condition.

I posted pics on the GTO board I still frequent if you want to check them out.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...2#post14837722
yay! i'm glad you like it. you should post pictures here as well because if you don't have an account for the GTO forum it won't let you see it (unless i'm doing something wrong)
Congrats on the good buy!
Old 05-19-14, 07:34 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by littlebird
yay! i'm glad you like it. you should post pictures here as well because if you don't have an account for the GTO forum it won't let you see it (unless i'm doing something wrong)
Congrats on the good buy!
Whoops, forgot you do need an account for that. Give me a few...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opportunity to get into a GS300 - your thoughts?