RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 06:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!

UPDATE: You can refer to this thread for a more thorough tackling of related areas: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-squeaks.html

I'm OCD when it comes to squeaks and although the RX is pretty solid, it's had its fair share of annoying squeaks. One squeak I can safely say the source has been found, and now eliminated is the infamous ticking sound you hear by your left ear several have complained about. Now this is a specific sound which sounds like pin tapping on a hard surface. There are other sounds more like squeaks around the door panel/frame that are mostly addressed by other posts.

So I'll cut to the chase. The source is the tape backing behind the felt material inside the B-Pillar. Easily reproducible by touching on the felt once you pull out the lower cover.

Step 1. Simply pull away the plastic cover from the B-pillar (Pic 1). There's a little force required as there are three white clips (Pic 3) holding the cover into the metal frame of the car. If the clips fall to the bottom, you'll need to remove the driver's sill cover to be able to move the B-Pillar cover more fully outward and gain access to the clips (Pic 4). This is the smoking gun step. If you press on the felt and here the ticking sound, that's the source - proceed to the next steps.

Step 2. Remove the felt from the cover and remove the tape backing (Pic 2).

Step 3. Place the felt back, apply 3M Hockey tape (or equivalent fabric-type tape) in some spots to hold it in place. Also, add this tape to the contact points to help further minimizes plastic on plastic rubbing/squeaking. Slide in the 3 white clips back in their spots (Pic 3).

Step 4. Snap the B-pillar cover back in starting from the bottom moving up. Should snap in easily with minimal effort.

Step 5. Place the hockey tape on the contact points of the door sill cover (Pic 5) and snap back into place. This requires more careful alignment and slightly more effort to snap back in.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-rx1.jpg   DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-rx2.jpg   DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-rx3.jpg   DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-rx4.jpg   DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-rx5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-01-14 at 04:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
alisher (03-21-18), DeepSeaRX (01-26-17), tempestv8 (03-06-18)
Old 02-06-14, 11:35 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info!! my RX is now at dealer for similar b-pillar ticking and I have sent your instruction to the servie advisor. Last time they fixed the glass like ticking by adjusting door stirker. Hopefully they will nail down this one too.
Old 02-07-14, 01:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Great wilchan. Keep us posted on the outcome.

I'll be working on another one or two squeaks coming from what appears to be from the door panel this weekend and post new findings if the outcome is positive. I'm on a OCD "squeak hunt"

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-07-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 05:06 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Just got the car back. Shop couldn't verify the fix because of rainy days in Bay Area.

Unfortunately, the ticking is still there for my case. According to the advisor, mechanics put felt tape only on the area where lower pillar cover meets the upper pillar cover. They didn't mention the double side taped felt material.. I guess the felt tape they put maybe kind of thick and the lower cover doesn't flush with upper cover.

How hard is it to pull the lower cover out? I tried to pull the driver side door sill cover out and the cover's right end seems bonding quite tightly. I am very itchy to do it myself too. Even though dealer provides loaner car, it is kind of hassle...
Old 02-08-14, 08:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

It's not complicated to pull the cover but it requires a little faith and force. Start in one corner (minimal force) from the driver's side to pull it which sounds like you did, then pull the opposite corner on the rear side. Pull around the middle afterwards. As you get to the middle, you need more force because of the latches and clips. Of course, grab it in a way you get good leverage so force is applied evenly on the plastic cover. If the clips fall as they did in my case, you will need to follow the other steps I outlined above.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!-pull.jpg  
Old 02-09-14, 03:34 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Cool CorradoMr2, I was able to pull the cover off by following your instruction. I tapped the felt material and it does make tapping sound. What is that piece of felt used for? It doesn't seem to be in contact with the metal frame and there is seat belt in between them.
Old 02-09-14, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by wilchan
Cool CorradoMr2, I was able to pull the cover off by following your instruction. I tapped the felt material and it does make tapping sound. What is that piece of felt used for? It doesn't seem to be in contact with the metal frame and there is seat belt in between them.

Great, you got to it. It's sound insulation. Behind almost every panel in the car you will see that - it's what helps make the RX quiet though ironically, has the "crunchy" tape behind it.
Old 02-09-14, 07:09 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta say this. I think that in 2014 there should be installation systems in place that would eliminate 99.999% of squeaks.

Lexus should study this forum with a fervor known only to hungry wolves and instantly adapt any of these helpful tips trick and techniques so as to eliminate the possibility of a rattle.

Granted, they do OK. But OK is good for a plastic baby rattle, NOT a 50K piece of machinery.

As much as I hate squeaks and rattles, I hate even more having to take apart my car to fix them on my own.

I have a squeak I believe in the back seat latch. Prob a much easier fix than this but it does not annoy to the point of tracking it down. Although it does annoy me at times.

Mini rant, have a great evening )
Old 04-19-14, 06:36 AM
Henry1492
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RX350 Noise by left ear driver side

I read the post on the Eliminate Annoying Ticking from B-Pillar!

I did not take apart the car as instructed but I hear a tap more up by the drivers side up by the adjustable seat belt holder.

Seems you can push the in slightly against the pillar. I cant really reproduce it.

Maybe I will try your method first.

I also order that odorless GE Silicon on Ebay -3M 08877 Silicone Lubricant Plus (Wet Type)
and plan to treat all the rubber gaskets around the doors, etc.

Went to Lexus for the "once over" and the mechanic said he felt much of the noises were coming from the back door but the other squeaks were "normal for a car of this age and mileage".

Seems like a standard Lexus response.
Old 12-09-16, 08:27 AM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's not complicated to pull the cover but it requires a little faith and force. Start in one corner (minimal force) from the driver's side to pull it which sounds like you did, then pull the opposite corner on the rear side. Pull around the middle afterwards. As you get to the middle, you need more force because of the latches and clips. Of course, grab it in a way you get good leverage so force is applied evenly on the plastic cover. If the clips fall as they did in my case, you will need to follow the other steps I outlined above.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi corradoMR2, I have an 2016 ES now and this ticking noise really drives me nuts. Went to the dealer three times, all their genius technicians could't
hear it. All they said was that they didn't hear anything abnormal and sent me away. This is insane. I'm just wondering did you ever figure out any pattern, like on what kind of road did this noise come every time? I need to find a way that can reproduce it 100% every time to make sure those dumb technicians hear it. Thanks, man.
Old 03-20-18, 03:23 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

No plastic found behind my pillar
The following users liked this post:
Duffy2015 (07-27-19)
Old 07-27-19, 03:31 PM
Duffy2015
Driver School Candidate

What is the white container at the top of the picture on the pillar?
Old 10-16-19, 06:37 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffy2015
What is the white container at the top of the picture on the pillar?
On our 2012 there are a couple of cables going into the white box, maybe a junction box?
I tried to open it, but it was being stubborn so I stopped.
After tapping the white box it sounded a little like the tick in our 2012.
I hot glued the bottom to the b-pillar and the tick when tapping the box was gone.
However, after reassembling the pillars the tick was still there.
Old 10-17-19, 11:39 AM
Duffy2015
Driver School Candidate

Continue to hear ticking, but less volume after I added noise reduction material and placed felt around the seat belt mechanism. Next action will be smothering the seat belt mechanism with tape and felt.