Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 05:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015

The Official Future of Lexus Thread

Every now and then we hear tidbits of information. This thread has been created so we can post news and discuss the Future of Lexus. Let's be respectful and take everything said and read with a grain of salt, while most of the future posted info is not currently "Official Press".

With that said, I'd like to highlight the lastest "highlights" in Lexus's future, some sure to make a few peoples day.

**we'll try to keep this continually updated**

Latest News: 10/24/2013

New Performance model every year - Lexus recently acknowledged that the competition is relentless in offering performance vehicles in all segments. Lexus plans to combat back with a new model once a year

New RX in 2015 - The perennial sales champ gets a full redesign. No information on whether it will be a 2015 or 2016 model year. Expect the RX to either spawn a 7-Row crossover or up the sport and luxury aspects of the car

RC/RC-F Fall of 2014 - Coupes are finally coming. Prices should start low $40K's for RC and Close to $80K for RC-F

NX turbo and NX hybrid Fall of 2014 - The baby RX is coming. Base NX FWD $35K, AWD $37K. Nicely equipped low to mid $40K. Hybrid still brushes $50K

GS-F - Nothing to report other than we've seen it's existence at the Ring'

Production LF-LC - Possibly the next SC, but regardless a six digit GT Coupe and the newest crown jewel to the Lexus family

5th Generation LS - All competitors cards save for the rumored Cadillac Flagship have played. Lexus looks to redefine the segment once again as it did with the first iteration. Expect 2-3 Years.

And my personal favorite

Twin Turbo V6 and V8's - Perhaps some of the most exciting news to date and often the topic of debate, Lexus plans to implement Twin Turbo V6's and V8's over the next few years. There are no time tables though 2-4 years is most likely. According to source "these twin turbo mills are supposed to have the best performance and fuel economy numbers vs their competition"

UPDATE: 1/26/2014

- 2015 is not a full redesign, just early production to start in Canada around April. All RX's except Fire Agate color to be produced in Canada
- Nothing new on 5LS
- LX will largely soldier on at least two years
- NX starting around $37K base, typically optioned with Navigation around $42K
- NXh will not be a big seller because of the price tag. Dealers will stock a handful, minimum 1 initially when released. When asked whats the point, to add another hybrid to the line-up and tout the wide array of Lexus hybrids. Because of this limited volume of NXh's expect NX200t's to sell in droves

UPDATE: 4/17/2014

Lexus Dealers Meeting 4/16/14

- IS200t, GS200t, RC200t September 2015

UPDATE: 5/30/2014

- 'Signature' Series Lexus's coming within two years. May be be black/red interiors limited to roughly 500 units depending on model. Think of it as Lexus doing Black Diamond, Pebble Beach, Coach Edition, Thundercloud Edition and Sport Design special models once again
- Crafted by Lexus (White, Tumi luggage)

UPDATE: 6/11/2014

- SC name slated to return for possible 2017 SC Coupe
- NA 5.0L V8 and 3.5L V6 Hybrid (500 total system hp)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-sc-62.html

UPDATE: 6/25/2014

- Special 25th anniversary edition RX coming out in October 2014

UPDATE: 9/18/2014

- 4RX will NOT have a third row
- 4RX will look sharp and dynamic like the NX
- 4RX will continue using a 'Mouse' Remote Touch because 'Legacy' buyers feel comfortable with it. New RTI will seemingly be used on 'younger and sportier' Lexus models
- Separate 3-row crossover to come to fruition (GX future uncertain - mum was the word when asked if a TX/GX could co-exist)
- Full redesigned LX next year to compete better with Range Rover, GL and Escalade

UPDATE: 4/16/2015

This year
- IS200t and RC200t coming toward end of year (IS first)
- LX MMC will be similar to '13 LS major/minor, includes host of technology upgrades, full color HUD and Lexus Safety System +
- Ultra Luxury RX trim, pano roof option, we won't use the term 'autonomous' but let's just say steering and brakes can be regulated with hands in lap
- 3 row crossover still a year away
- 2017 LF-LC

On the Horizon
- 5LS supposed to take a page from 1989 LS400 and be 'World Class' not just best in class - Akio Toyoda personally invested in project

Last edited by Hoovey689; 04-17-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this info you cobbled together from internet rumors, or is some of this info you've directly heard yourself?

You're also missing the production LF-LC model coming in a few years, as well as the next-generation LS coming in 2-3 years.
Old 10-24-13, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lexus NX will be made in North America where the Rav4 and RX are built. We should see the GX move to a unibody design to better compete with the GL. Finally the ES will be built in the USA.
Old 10-24-13, 06:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So is this info you cobbled together from internet rumors, or is some of this info you've directly heard yourself?

You're also missing the production LF-LC model coming in a few years, as well as the next-generation LS coming in 2-3 years.
Directly heard today from my source

I was only highlighting, but I'll be sure to make the edit additions
Old 10-24-13, 06:21 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Any news about the LX? Will it get another face lift or will the next update be a complete redesign?
Old 10-24-13, 06:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Any news about the LX? Will it get another face lift or will the next update be a complete redesign?
Non and I don't like to speculate. If I catch word of anything I'll be sure to post it
Old 10-24-13, 06:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Directly heard today from my source

I was only highlighting, but I'll be sure to make the edit additions
Ah okay thanks.

Very interesting then regarding the "performance model every year". Is that a full F model every year, or does that include F-Sport variants? That would be incredibly hard to release a new F model every year, and if you include F-Sport variants, then even with that in mind that would be a stretch to have a new one come out every year. Of course, if they separate F-Sport variants from regular redesigns, then it could be done.

Either way good news if true, as this means more F and F-Sport models. Would be great to see a 3IS F sedan, and not just the RC F.

The twin turbo news is also most exciting, as that will very likely bring new powertrain technologies. I'm not a big turbo fan myself, but I'm confident Toyota will implement it in a unique way. This coincides with the rumor that the production LF-LC will have a next-generation high-performance hybrid system.
Old 10-24-13, 06:41 PM
LexFather

Hoovey in 2016!!! Thanks dude!! Great news.

TRD.. The dealers meeting is going on so info is leaking...

Old 10-24-13, 07:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ah okay thanks.

Very interesting then regarding the "performance model every year". Is that a full F model every year, or does that include F-Sport variants? That would be incredibly hard to release a new F model every year, and if you include F-Sport variants, then even with that in mind that would be a stretch to have a new one come out every year. Of course, if they separate F-Sport variants from regular redesigns, then it could be done.

Either way good news if true, as this means more F and F-Sport models. Would be great to see a 3IS F sedan, and not just the RC F.

The twin turbo news is also most exciting, as that will very likely bring new powertrain technologies. I'm not a big turbo fan myself, but I'm confident Toyota will implement it in a unique way. This coincides with the rumor that the production LF-LC will have a next-generation high-performance hybrid system.
They didn't say, but I believe it's a mixture of F and F-Sport as well. According to source the NX F-Sport is some devilishly good looking vehicle. We'll find out next fall.

As much as I'm excited to see a coupe, I got the IS for a reason over a 335i or G coupe. I like 4-Doors. A V8 makes it that much sweeter.

Imagine a LS600hL that makes more than a mere 436 total combined system output hp. Closer to 550-600 with a new twin turbo V8 set-up I'd imainge.

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Old 10-24-13, 07:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Good stuff, didn't know the dealer's meeting was now. We should get some more juicy info soon then .

They didn't say, but I believe it's a mixture of F and F-Sport as well. According to source the NX F-Sport is some devilishly good looking vehicle. We'll find out next fall.

As much as I'm excited to see a coupe, I got the IS for a reason over a 335i or G coupe. I like 4-Doors. A V8 makes it that much sweeter.

Imagine a LS600hL that makes more than a mere 436 total combined system output hp. Closer to 550-600 with a new twin turbo V8 set-up I'd imainge.
Very cool to hear about the NX F-Sport. A new IS F sedan along with the RC F would be wonderful. I love almost everything about the 1st-gen IS F and all the improvements they've made to it. I just can't get over the 2IS interior, which has aged poorly for me, and looks out-of-place on the IS F.

Yes that would be sweet specs on paper, and I'm all for it as long as they can minimize or get rid of traditional turbo problems like dramatically increased fuel consumption, turbo lag, non-linear power delivery along with the dull exhaust and engine noise most turbo engines produce.
Old 10-24-13, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Me thinks that TT V-8 TMG LS woke people up!!!

Old 10-24-13, 07:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Me thinks that TT V-8 TMG LS woke people up!!!
I think that was simply a tease of things to come.

Toyota never does things for no reason.
Old 10-25-13, 12:44 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heard from somewhere (lexusenthusiast?) that a third-row RX will be called the TX, and it may or may not replace the GX. Dunno if it's true.

(If I ever own a TX I'll be putting on a bumper sticker that says "My other machine is a T800".
Old 10-25-13, 01:23 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

New Performance model every year - Lexus recently acknowledged that the competition is relentless in offering performance vehicles in all segments. Lexus plans to combat back with a new model once a year
Awesome news!!!!

RC/RC-F Fall of 2014 - Coupes are finally coming. Prices should start low $40K's for RC and Close to $80K for RC-F

NX turbo and NX hybrid Fall of 2014 - The baby RX is coming. Base NX FWD $35K, AWD $37K. Nicely equipped low to mid $40K. Hybrid still brushes $50K
I think this will be a hit There is a huge market for these mini crossovers

Production LF-LC - Possibly the next SC, but regardless a six digit GT Coupe and the newest crown jewel to the Lexus family
Can't wait for this one

5th Generation LS - All competitors cards save for the rumored Cadillac Flagship have played. Lexus looks to redefine the segment once again as it did with the first iteration. Expect 2-3 Years.
The new S class looks great, can't wait to see what lexus has up it's sleeve!

And my personal favorite

Twin Turbo V6 and V8's - Perhaps some of the most exciting news to date and often the topic of debate, Lexus plans to implement Twin Turbo V6's and V8's over the next few years. There are no time tables though 2-4 years is most likely. According to source "these twin turbo mills are supposed to have the best performance and fuel economy numbers vs their competition"
WOW
Old 10-25-13, 01:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

RX is coming early 2014 as 2015 model... usually it pays to look for their plant expansions to see whats goin on.

Toyota announced last July that it will invest more than C$100 million to expand Lexus production in Canada. [ID:nL2E8IO535] The government funds will add to this investment.

The expansion will increase Lexus manufacturing capacity by 30,000 vehicles to 104,000 units annually, including 15,000 Lexus RX450h hybrid electric vehicles, and create 400 new jobs at the Cambridge plant.

Expanded output is expected to kick off in early 2014.
http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...90M1JH20130123

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015