Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The new Face of Lexus? Your thoughts?
I love it, bold and gives Lexus a face
40.35%
I hate it and/or don't like it
18.42%
I don't mind but I prefer Lexus previous styling
12.28%
Indifferent, don't like/don't hate
8.77%
I hate anything Lexus does and am glad there is this option
0.88%
Thank GOD its not that dumbass Beak
10.53%
Still undecided, haven't made up mind
8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 06:44 AM
LexFather

Post The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread

So this is the new face of Lexus....now again I had no problem with Lexus styling in the past and felt it was fine. However it seems every car maker thinks all their cars needs to have the same face and look the same. You know a football team has the same uniforms but players do not look the same, I think car designers need that memo.

I liked Lexus having different styling in all their vehicles while still being recognizable as a Lexus. Seems this "Spindle" face is the future.

First on the HS
Note how the grill is slimmer than the lower air dam and the creases in the bumper in the shape of the spindle.

Then the CT
Note the chrome top grill and how the bumper has the creases to create the spindle effect.

Now the GS
No hiding the spindle grill, much more bold. Same half chrome piece.

Now I just caught this but the Gazoo Racing LFA this year changed its paint scheme and has a "spindle grill" paintjob
LFA

I'm still unsure of this new look for Lexus and quite frankly I haven't been super happy with Lexus styling and MMC's for awhile now. I wasn't a fan of the additional chrome on the GS refresh and many of us did not like the LS refresh either and the LS 600h L's new grill. I have no idea honestly whats going on styling wise with Lexus.

Now it seems the next models after the GS will get even more bold "spindle" faces. Look I'm the guy that takes off the chrome and takes of or blacks out badges and replaces the grill. So maybe its not more me or not for me stock. I like Lexus b/c it is classy and subtle without screaming "OMG HERE I AM LOOK AT ME I PULLED UP AT TARGET HEY HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT MY FACE HEY HEY LOOK AT ME I THINK I AM IMPORTANT, HEY HEY HEY HEY HELLLLLLOOOOOOO LOOK AT ME" then backs up into a space and double parks like seemingly every other person is doing now as every other person thinks everything from their Sonata to their A4 is now Jesus's chariot.

I hope Lexus isn't listening to these new automotive critics to much, critics that have a very short memory and criticize Lexus for anything. To this day the 2GS 300/400 was a bold entry into the sedan field. The automotive press today would have you believe it drove like a Town Car and looked bland. They seem to have forgotten how they loved everything about the car when it was sold. I think sometimes a car maker needs to turn off the internet access and give people what they think they want instead of trying to please everyone (focus groups) etc and giving them what they are asking for.

I do have to say THANK YOU LEXUS for not falling for the Pep Boys ridiculously cheap looking "fender vents" that has taken design by storm. It looks ridiculous in most cases and even more ridiculous on cars with 200hp or so. Yeah, they really need to vent all that power.

Get used to it it seems....

Old 09-13-11, 07:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, but at least on the GS, don't think it's quite as bold of a statement as Lexus would like us to believe. In fact, I'd be surprised if most people in the general public even noticed that it's different from the trapezoid that we've seen for so many years.

That said, I do like the general concept and look forward to seeing how it progresses in IS, LS, RX, etc.
Old 09-13-11, 07:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the grill on the new production GS and could definitely see that being the 'new face' of Lexus cars for the next 5 years.

With all the 'polarizing' grills and beaks out there I'd say they did a nice job coming up with something different and functional without going too far over the top.
Old 09-13-11, 07:55 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the old style Lexus, circa 1994 or so, where you had the ES, LS, GS, and SC. All had different styling elements (the front faces of all shared very little to nothing), but all had that "Lexus vibe".

I don't fault Lexus for going this route since every other lux brand had already done the same. But I wish Lexus be confident enough in itself to have multiple design themes operating at the same time.
Old 09-13-11, 10:52 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought L-Finess was the best styling direction for Lexus, particularly on the LS and IS bodies. The styling was clean and the cars looked premium, and in the IS's case, looked very sporty and aggressive.
Old 09-13-11, 11:02 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I like it, it looks functional & aerodynamic & looks like the boldness is adjustable to suit particular models. I understand the brand face theory & I think it works as long as it is designed well & not over done. (Acura, Audi, Cadillac)
Old 09-13-11, 12:14 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the execution on the GS....

I'm curiuos how they will apply the new "face" to the IS...
Old 09-13-11, 12:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the spindle grill on the production version , in fact it's probably the only thing that looks interesting on the new design
Old 09-13-11, 04:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I think it looks alright. I miss the pre-2006 Lexus designs. Each car had it's own look and feel to it.
Old 09-13-11, 08:17 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it works well on every car except the HS. But I also don't think all the front ends have to look the same for Lexus. A little uniqueness within the range isn't a bad thing.
Old 09-13-11, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I am worried Lexus is following current trends that other manufacturers have been following. Audi starting the unique grille thing, Mitsubishi grabbed their version, Ford has their new scaffolding front, and now Lexus is trying the hourglass thing. This is dangerous business when everyone uses a extroverted grille to define a brand. It can get old, tiring, or obnoxious very fast. I much rather see Lexus keep a conservative approach and not follow what the flavor of the year is. Dangerous way of business.
Old 08-21-12, 10:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Evolution of the Lexus Spindle Grille

Here's a great illustration of the Lexus Spindle Grille which I found in an a Japanese publication.

LS > IS F > CT > GS

What it should have been...

LS > IS F > HS > CT > GS

Technically the IS F was the first to start with the defined/sculpted front bumper cover. Then in 2010 the HS followed suit. The CT defined this look even more. Now we have the rest.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-21-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 10:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

LF-LC

Going in order of photo#1 from Left to Right:

CT

LS

ES

RX

GS

LX

Last edited by flipside909; 08-21-12 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 10:47 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

will the bottom just gets wider, bigger to a point where it is bigger than aston martins?

Old 08-21-12, 10:49 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

I see Audi-esque and Evo X influences.

Quick Reply: The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread