LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Air Suspension

Old 04-04-14, 06:04 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Aftermarket Air Suspension

So I have begun my research into aftermarket air suspension. I need help to understand why there are significant price differences and the reasoning behind them.

Leveling systems vs pressure based systems

D2 (from Accuair) struts vs Air Runner OTG struts

I know a lot of people have different setups, so I'm hoping to hear a bit from experience. Ride characteristics and faults or defects. Also, what else is out there that is worth considering?

I'm looking for a nice, smooth ride like factory while being low and being able to park a little lower. Thanks for all of your help guys and if you know a place to get the kits for a lower price, that'd be great as well!
Old 04-04-14, 06:53 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread and debate. A few years ago, I had UAS with Teins coilover on my GS300, I though the ride was good but I was not able to ride too low. When I moved to the LS460, I wanted to retain the comfort level of a luxury car and be able to drive low. I was told about Air Runner OTG and how it was made specifically for the LS460. To make a long story short...best decision ever I ever made. The UAS/Tein setup feels like crap now.
Old 04-04-14, 07:31 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
I have a feeling this is going to be a long thread and debate. A few years ago, I had UAS with Teins coilover on my GS300, I though the ride was good but I was not able to ride too low. When I moved to the LS460, I wanted to retain the comfort level of a luxury car and be able to drive low. I was told about Air Runner OTG and how it was made specifically for the LS460. To make a long story short...best decision ever I ever made. The UAS/Tein setup feels like crap now.
Have you rode in any other LS460's with different air setups? Definitely worth the extra over the competition? Does your car feel floaty or still able to be somewhat firm?

I'm not trying to start a **** throwing thread, just looking for people's experiences.
Old 04-04-14, 07:48 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

I have been in a LS460 with the basic Air Runner setup. The comfort is good but you are not able to drive low and maintain the same comfort. I had a friend with a Air Rex setup on his LS460 drive my car to a shop 120 miles away...after driving my car, he wanted to switch over to Air Runner. I'm not trying to bash Air Rex, I don't get an money from any air company so i could care less.

As for floaty and somewhat firm...definitely not floaty and not firm. It feels like a stock ride, very comfortable.

Is it worth the money over the competition, it depends on you incoome/budget, etc. That's hard to say. I like Air Runner cause it's built to order for a specific car. UAS/Air Rex, etc as universal.
Old 04-04-14, 09:14 AM
sleekmr3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience and research this is what I have gathered regarding air suspension.

options from cheapest to most expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1: Bags on stock struts
( you get to slam it when you park, but it rides floaty when driven. You cannot tune the dampening and rebound to match the bags. This pretty much is the cheapest way to go for air. You're primarily doing this for the look and not the ride comfort. I personally had these on my car) sample picture below.

2: Bags over coilovers
(you pretty much buy coilovers and get bags to replace the spring. I have no experience with them but I think it's the second cheapest option. The coilovers are made to match the spring they came with, but now that you replace it with a bag the spring rate is totally changed and not sure if you can tune the dampening and rebound to match the bag. Also unsure if you can fully slam with this setup. I have no exp with this setup) sample picture below.

3: Coilover air cup
(you get the ride comfort of a coilover, but no slammed look. Pretty much air cups just raise the car a couple inches to clear obstacles. I believe this is what high end exotic cars have like Lambos and Ferrari to help clear obstacles)

heres a video link

4: Complete air strut systems
( These are completely built struts with bags to match. Air Runners are the best and you pay the price for them. Slammed look and ride comfort. I personally went with Airrex due to price. If I had the money I would have gone Air Runner, but they had a decent price gap between the two. I do love my Airrex and I don't regret it)

This is just info that I have gathered from my research. Hope this helps you. I grabbed all the photos above from google images. I don't own them nor do I work for any of these companies.
The following users liked this post:
MoodDxb (10-15-22)
Old 04-04-14, 09:35 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleekmr3
From my experience and research this is what I have gathered regarding air suspension.

options from cheapest to most expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is just info that I have gathered from my research. Hope this helps you. I grabbed all the photos above from google images. I don't own them nor do I work for any of these companies.
^^^ Awesome and to the point.
Old 04-04-14, 12:15 PM
pitbu111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wsup broken. As for now I went to my boy at the Lexus dealership to adjust the height readings down so my car can drop a few inches. So far so good but I still need to bring it in to tweak a little, one side is off by about 1/4 inch, not a big deal but would like to get it as close as possible. As for the ride comfort, it's not the best but will do for now. The positive thing about this is that it only costed me $80 bucks for the hookup lol.

Btw my only option for aftermarket is Airrunners- Not a single company other than airrunners make aftermarket kits to fit my 2009 AWD LS. Oh well, I'll be happy with the airrunners!
Old 04-04-14, 02:00 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbu111
Wsup broken. As for now I went to my boy at the Lexus dealership to adjust the height readings down so my car can drop a few inches. So far so good but I still need to bring it in to tweak a little, one side is off by about 1/4 inch, not a big deal but would like to get it as close as possible. As for the ride comfort, it's not the best but will do for now. The positive thing about this is that it only costed me $80 bucks for the hookup lol.

Btw my only option for aftermarket is Airrunners- Not a single company other than airrunners make aftermarket kits to fit my 2009 AWD LS. Oh well, I'll be happy with the airrunners!
If you're going into the dealership to adjust the ride height sensors at each corner it's actually an easy DIY. You can play with the adjustments on your own but i don't think you'll ever get it perfect.
Old 04-04-14, 02:46 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I know some of you guys have been waiting for my input on this topic. I've tended to **** people off on my opinion on things because I feel my decisions are uncompromising when it comes to my car.

So my setup is Airrunner Basics with Accuair Elevel Vu4 air management. Just on a company standpoint their representation/image in the scene is extremely professional. I've scene many unprofessional words being said by other air suspension system distributors/dealers directed at both companies. Things that I know are targeting Airrunner and Accuair but without saying the company directly. Things like how much more they cost, how you have to install hard to install level sensors, and how their bags blow but only have that one picture of a guy who's face is blurred and and a story behind it stating his bag blew while working on or under his car. I have my speculations about that picture but I'll leave it at that. Why bash anther company to promote another. The product by itself should speak for itself. If the sensors are installed by someone who's experienced it shouldn't be a problem. As for cost...we aren't talking about a cheap car. So the price of the parts actually fit. I wouldn't compromise on something cheaper if you really wanted the more expensive parts to begin with. You'll end up spending the money twice and it was something you really didn't want to begin with...so save a few months longer to get what you want.

Ok so for how my setup rides...I feel it rides great! Better than stock in my opinion. I didn't go with the OTG kit like Nat did because I really don't drive that low. I drive my car way more than Nat does and go through tires more often. The longer those tires last me the better. Driving as much as I do and if i did drive as low as Nat I'd be going through tires even more often. But what I spent more on was the management system. Ask Nat and he'll probably tell you he wished he had the Elevel system. One push of a button and it's at drive/aligned height regardless of how much weight is in the car. With pressure based systems at a preset pressure it'll be at certain height with no one in the car but will be lower and uneven with people in the car. I can have my car packed with 5 people and it'll be at drive height regardless. And the elevel system will keep the car level when people enter or leave the car. When people ride in my car people can't tell the suspension is modified at all until they see it aired out parked.

Are their any con's with my setup? hmm it's hard to say because i've had nothing but good experience with it.
Old 04-04-14, 02:51 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

His thread mention about his boy used a scan tool to adjust the ride height without touching the height sensors. I think the scanner is capable to release the air from the tank. Hope, he will provide more info for future reference.
Old 04-04-14, 02:56 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lieup
His thread mention about his boy used a scan tool to adjust the ride height without touching the height sensors. I think the scanner is capable to release the air from the tank. Hope, he will provide more info for future reference.
No I don't think so. There hasn't been anything on the boards about being able to control it like that. I know for a fact you can adjust the factory sensors at each corner to lower the car. Skipper even sells different sensor links to fool the system to level lower.
Old 04-04-14, 03:29 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nat & lbintab could you provide ballpark figures of your set ups.
Old 04-04-14, 06:49 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigWalt
Nat & lbintab could you provide ballpark figures of your set ups.
Otg retails for $6300.
Airrunner basic retails for $4700
Accuair elevel retails around $1100-1200 plus upgrades like ilevel or wireless keyfob controller.
I upgraded to 2 viair 480 compressors instead of the single 380 which is a separate cost.
Installation would depend on how complex, custom, or basic you want the setup to be.
Now these are retail prices... some can get these things for cheaper depending on their connection and affiliation.
Old 04-04-14, 06:50 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Have you rode in any other LS460's with different air setups? Definitely worth the extra over the competition? Does your car feel floaty or still able to be somewhat firm?

I'm not trying to start a **** throwing thread, just looking for people's experiences.
I was able to ride in most of the applications mentioned. Stock air, to coilovers with air, to phantom cup setup, to airrex and air runner basic and air runner on the ground setup that i am currently running on my car. In my opinion air runner had the best ride quality over all both basic and on the ground. It was not floaty or to stiff just a perfect mix of both. But i did notice that after I installed my T Demand arms it got a little more stiff but not bad. Airrex and coilovers with bags rode just about the same both having a little float to them but they varied on what bag was installed. Phantom cup was like riding on coilovers. I opted for airrunner since i knew how they rode with my prior car and with a big car like ours i wanted it to ride like luxury.
Old 04-04-14, 06:52 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Otg retails for $6300.
Airrunner basic retails for $4700
Accuair elevel retails around $1100-1200 plus upgrades like ilevel or wireless keyfob controller.
I upgraded to 2 viair 480 compressors instead of the single 380 which is a separate cost.
Installation would depend on how complex, custom, or basic you want the setup to be.
Now these are retail prices... some can get these things for cheaper depending on their connection and affiliation.
I think my setup went for about 9k installed, but i purchased the ilevel with this same package

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Suspension