IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Unit Review Flyaudio/Alibaba Chinese HU (same thing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 03:44 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Unit Review Flyaudio/Alibaba Chinese HU (same thing)

Hey guys,

So I finally got around to installing my FlyAudio(ish)/Chinese Headunit from Alibaba. I purchased it for $598 shipped ($494+10 maps+$65shipping+$27-3%paypal fees) and overall, I would say its an 8.5/10 on a worth while "Should I do this" List. I paid with Paypal to protect my self if it ends up not being what I wanted. I actually installed it last week but had some issues that got sorted out over the week due to programming and previous owner crap. I got it from the Thonzer seller who allowed me to purchase just one unit. Shipping came from Hong Kong to NY in 3 days (4 really because DHL missed my house because of 4 feet of snow covering the mailbox numbers)

INSTALL TIME: ABOUT AN HOUR. Took me about an hour and a half because the previous owner of my car broke some of the vent tabs so it was hard to get off.

The Good
-Navigation uses iGO8 is pretty spot on. GPS antenna is supposed to be mounted in the front/rear window but I got full signal strength mounting it RIGHT on top of the unit in the dash. Pretty spot on i can say

-Built-In microphone for bluetooth actually works extremely well. You get very little road noise when talking on the phone while driving

-iPod adapter is a bit outdated but works well. Playlist uploads to the unit fine, I can choose my playlist form the unit.

-Steering controls work fine but I really only have audio on my steering wheel so not really much there

The Bad
-THE VENT!! So after talking with in depth with Thonzer for about a month and reading several reviews on the forum. I can say with the confidence that the 7" screen is for 06-08 ISx50's and 8" screens are for 09-13 isx50's. Its not hard to make the 8" fit but I was told by thonzer that I wont have vent issues if I buy the 7" monitor. I had already paid for the 8" one so I said F it, its okay. (they told me after) Also the mounting points on the CD changer down below are different. You can make it fit if you break off all the tabs where the cd changer fits but if you want direct fit, then go with what your car can fit. Not a huge deal. 7" units are $100 less

The rest are issues similar with the fly audio unit except this unit is running program version 1.59 and I think fly audio was running version 1.28. They both look the same except this comes pre-loaded with some games.

- The radio is pre-programmed to hong kong so you have to ask them to pre-load a USA program or else your radio will only go up to 99mhz. (they will send you a new program if you ask nicely)

-The navigation saves its recent destinations but doesn't save its program default settings. I would have to reconnect the GPS antenna every time I got in the car and it was annoying. If you are computer savy, you can alter the settings in the iGO8 configuration .sys file. Pretty easy

-I haven't figured out the temperature thing. Still on Celsius but its all works.

The Ugly
-It has an Infotainment Logo pop up for like 10 long seconds before a Lexus logo pops up for 1 maybe 2 seconds. (i want to change that to just the L logo)

-The screen backlight when off is still pretty bright. And sometimes wont dim if you have your lights on auto. Its intermittent so its hard to say when it happens. I got pulled over for the cop assuming I was talking on my cellphone when he realized that the nav screen was STUPID bright.

-My dash is super brittle up top and has tons of sun spots from being out doors for the years so the moment I put any tool in there, my dash crumbled around the center so a word to the wise, be careful on installation. I also had to rip out a ton of wires from the old owners XM unit that was poorly installed

Overall I am pretty happy with the unit, It is 100% worth the money for all you Non-nav people. The buying process its a little sketchy at first because you are pretty much sending them money and all they send you is an invoice sheet in an excel file. I wasn't too worried since i paid with paypal. Its worth it if anyone has any questions

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-04-14 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 07:26 PM
DGNY2009
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great review, I have had the 8" in my 09 for almost 2 years now still working great the buying process was definitely sketchy but they deliver I'll have to ask my suplyer for the radio update that's my only complaint still
Old 03-04-14, 07:33 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

PM me and I can send it to you! I'm surprised you lasted 2 years with the radio only going to 99mhz
Old 03-04-14, 07:53 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review, and i agree with your points.

Too bad there is no temp fix yet... i applied the radio/temp fix from the larger thread and it only works sporadically. Once in awhile the driver's side displays F while the passenger side displays C.

As for the startup screen - I replaced the logo with a custom one. If you search the larger thread the instructions as well as some sample logos should be in there.

ONE thing i notice, and hopefully others can chime in. I'm pretty sure I've lost my maintenance reminders. I'm not sure if the reminders are stored in the radio unit, but I noticed that for 10,000 + miles I haven't gotten a Maintenance required light. Been meaning to investigate further but haven't had the time.
Old 03-04-14, 08:07 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Nice review, and i agree with your points.

Too bad there is no temp fix yet... i applied the radio/temp fix from the larger thread and it only works sporadically. Once in awhile the driver's side displays F while the passenger side displays C.

As for the startup screen - I replaced the logo with a custom one. If you search the larger thread the instructions as well as some sample logos should be in there.

ONE thing i notice, and hopefully others can chime in. I'm pretty sure I've lost my maintenance reminders. I'm not sure if the reminders are stored in the radio unit, but I noticed that for 10,000 + miles I haven't gotten a Maintenance required light. Been meaning to investigate further but haven't had the time.
Hmm... I did notice that. I was due up for a maintenance reminder a few miles ago. I thought I just lost track and was a few miles short. I would like someone to chime in about this if its stored in the radio.

And I found one thread about it but it replaced the whole template. I like the template, I just would like to replace the logo. Do you remember how you did that
Old 03-08-14, 05:13 AM
DGNY2009
Driver

I've been getting the Maintenance required light and flashing reminder on start up no problem in my 09 250 cluster. I usually rest it same day it's annoying Imo
Old 03-10-14, 10:37 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Correction, My maintenance schedule is still saved in my car. It came on this morning a day after I did my oil change. i usually keep track but i guess i was a few miles off
Old 03-10-14, 11:08 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Correction, My maintenance schedule is still saved in my car. It came on this morning a day after I did my oil change. i usually keep track but i guess i was a few miles off
Hm thanks for the update. Do you know what interval the light comes on?

As for the custom logo, if you search the bigger flyaudio thread for "logo", there should be a post by member MEAHT on how to change it up.

thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ufacturer.html
Old 03-10-14, 12:20 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Every 5k miles. Oil change places usually reset the maintenance schedule with every oil change.
Old 03-10-14, 12:39 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Hm interesting. I always do the changes/reset it myself and it seems like it hasnt come on for over 10k miles...
Old 03-10-14, 01:54 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

I also want to buy this unit but the sketchy buy is what has me thrown back still on it..
Old 03-10-14, 02:12 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scorpionge
I also want to buy this unit but the sketchy buy is what has me thrown back still on it..
If you buy through Thonzer on the Alibaba site, I can guarantee you they work with you and communicate with you on a regular basis. They sent me an email everyday on the status of the item, when it got shipped out and even emailed me to let me know DHL missed my house because they couldn't see the house number. It's not an automated system, i asked a bunch of random questions like temperature and time in Hong Kong to see if its a real person and it is. It came in four days, I paid them monday, and it was at my door on friday afternoon (even though it should have been Thursday cuz DHL F'd Up) Alibaba has a quick buy site like ebay but it was 100 bucks over than what the wholesale wanted before shipping so your paying 800+shipped.

I cant chime in on the other vendors but Thonzer will get my business next time around. If you use PayPal, its another way to make sure your money is safe.
Old 07-02-14, 05:43 PM
TophersToy
Rookie

If you buy through Thonzer on the Alibaba site, I can guarantee you they work with you and communicate with you on a regular basis. They sent me an email everyday on the status of the item, when it got shipped out and even emailed me to let me know DHL missed my house because they couldn't see the house number. It's not an automated system, i asked a bunch of random questions like temperature and time in Hong Kong to see if its a real person and it is. It came in four days, I paid them monday, and it was at my door on friday afternoon (even though it should have been Thursday cuz DHL F'd Up) Alibaba has a quick buy site like ebay but it was 100 bucks over than what the wholesale wanted before shipping so your paying 800+shipped.

I cant chime in on the other vendors but Thonzer will get my business next time around. If you use PayPal, its another way to make sure your money is safe.
Is this the site you purchased from?
http://thonzer.en.alibaba.com/search...archText=is250
I've never used alibaba.. do you just request a quote (there's no prices)?
Old 07-02-14, 05:59 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TophersToy
Is this the site you purchased from?
http://thonzer.en.alibaba.com/search...archText=is250
I've never used alibaba.. do you just request a quote (there's no prices)?
YEP!

you request a quote for one and then they give you all the information for payment over email. I paid using paypal because paypal is pretty secure when buying things
Old 07-02-14, 06:10 PM
TophersToy
Rookie

YEP!

you request a quote for one and then they give you all the information for payment over email. I paid using paypal because paypal is pretty secure when buying things
And you mentioned it came with iGo 8? Did you have to specifically ask for that?
You mentioned you have to ask for North American Radio Frequencies.. anything else? North American maps?

I don't mind the celsius cause that's how we meausure in canada

Quick Reply: Unit Review Flyaudio/Alibaba Chinese HU (same thing)