SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

02 Upgrades Air Intake & Cusco Tower

Old 02-06-14, 07:28 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 02 Upgrades Air Intake & Cusco Tower

After reading multiple threads on all the improvements made by many club members, I decided to make a few improvements of my own. I added the Cusco tower strut and the Suruga Air Chamber Intake on my 02. I also ordered a K&N performance air filter that should arrive soon. I attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails 02 Upgrades Air Intake & Cusco Tower-image.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 11:11 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What does that Air chamber do and where'd you get it from??
Old 02-06-14, 11:31 PM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! How's that Cusco strut bar feel? Can you notice a big difference? I'd imagine it could help especially with the top down. Are you on coil overs already? Interesting air chamber... post a short video of the engine running so we can hear the sound change, if you want. I'm hesitant to make any intake or exhaust mods, I've had plenty of loud turbocharged race cars and I am actually enjoying the silence.... for the time being.
Old 02-07-14, 05:51 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the posts about the tower struts, I am interested in this mod with the Cusco strut and must ask: Is there proper clearance to remove the engine cover without marring the surface?
Old 02-07-14, 11:51 AM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Cusco strut bar on my S14 and anytime I wanted to access the valve cover area I would just release one of the the the horizontal nuts/bolt that holds the bar to the towers and then rotate the bar up. Seemed to be the easiest way to go about things for me.
Old 02-07-14, 04:15 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Acura2Lex, here are some of the things I have read on intakes. With a busy work schedule, the only thing I've had time to do is start the engine. I'm hoping to test drive my car this weekend. Needless to say, I can't answer how the tower strut feels at this time sdclique. I will have to get back in another post to answer your question after test driving my car. I also agree the clearance between the tower bar and the v bank cover is tight or (1 - 1.125") inches and it's recommended to do as you suggested. So in a nutshell, no there isn't enough clearance and you must lift one side, otherwise you run the risk of scratching your cover autoplak. No, I don't have coil overs. I'm considering, but haven't pulled the trigger. With the new intake the engine is still quite on idle up to around 3k or so. I also have to add my 02 still has the OEM mufflers. Sadly, I don't drive my car as much as I would like to. My car has 24k miles and is in showroom condition.

I learned about the Suruga Air Chamber Intake from another member in a previous post. What I love about the intake is very minimal mods to your intake system. I still use the OEM air scoop, filter case and MAF. There is no need to cut your v bank cover like other members who installed Injen intakes. The intake also comes with the four clamps and silicon hose. You'll need to purchase other items from your local auto part store, or online. I had to add a T from the OBD value to the hose leading to the intake, providing your car has this device. I learned some later models are set up differently. Like any mod I recommend you do your homework first reach out to members who have insight, experience and lastly wisdom. I must add I love the growl and the bling these mods add to my car. Are they really necessary? No, it's what we want or are willing spend our money. :-)

Here is the website where I purchased the intake and tower strut from Japan.

www.suruga-speed.co.jp

Stock air intakes, otherwise known as original equipment manufacturer (OEM) intakes, are the ones included in vehicles that are fresh from the dealer. These intakes are characterized by having multiple bends that muffle the sound of the engine. Additionally, they also make use of paper filters to capture fine particles that may damage the engine.

Cold air intakes are a type of ram air intake systems that work by drawing in cool air from outside and into the vehicle’s engine. This type of intake often has minimal bends and has a long duct with access to cool air. With cooler air coursing through the engine, combustion requires less heat and fuel.

Short ram air intakes suck in large amounts of heated air within engine to help in efficient combustion. These short and wide pipes are often found on high-performance vehicles and aircrafts. Because it uses a shorter pipe than the cold air intake, it only has access to warm air near the engine. To make up for this, it sucks in more air than cold air intakes.
Old 02-08-14, 08:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good stuff. A lot of us would like the strut bar. How much did you get it for, including shipping? I went to the site and could not get to the Cusco bar. Thanks.
Old 02-08-14, 01:59 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Default Cusco Strut Brace

Mandyfig I paid 13,320 yen or approximately $130 US dollars. Shipping is based on where you live.
I researched many websites and found the following company to have the lowest price compared to other locations which range around $200 bucks, not including shipping.

The name of the Japan based company is Suruga Performance. The contact is Mathieu Devert. Here is his email address. Just let him know what you are looking for, vehicle make, year and where it will ship. He is extremely helpful.

Mathieu@suruga-performance.com

BTW: I test drove my coupe this morning and the throttle response is noticeable, including the growl when I punch the accelerator. The front end feels firmer with the tower strut. When I removed/separated the bar from the braces (blue in color) the aluminum polished bar is super light in weight. Most of the weight comes from the mounting brackets. Mounting the tower strut is super easy. Just remove the suspension dust covers, three rubber grommets found on the exposed threading from the bolts studs, and the three nuts (3 on each side). Make sure you cover your V-Bank Cover with rags or a large towel as a precaution to avoid marring or damaging it.
Old 02-08-14, 08:38 PM
mandyfig

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes it was more than $200 + Shipping was kind of steep. This bar does not rub on the cover and the hood? This was the common issue on some of the strut bars. I knew there was an exact Cusco bar that was the right application but was steep and took long to get.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mandyfig; 02-09-14 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-08-14, 10:57 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It says on that website the AIR CONTROLLER CHAMBER is 84,000 YEN. That means it's approximately $840 USD? Is this correct or am I crazy? That's a LOT for an intake.
Old 02-09-14, 08:37 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Mandyfig

The Cusco Tower Bar has plenty of clearance to the V-Bank Cover. I also was out test driving my car yesterday and inspected under the hood and there is no rubbing or marring on the hood or cover. I included a photo to illustrate the clearance from the bar to cover.
Old 02-09-14, 09:06 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Acura2lex,

Your eyes didn't play a trick on you. As with most high quality products the consumer pays for the engineering of the product and material. The intake is made from multiple pieces of meticulously welded stainless steel polished to a high sheen. It also allows the consumer to utilize the OEM filter, canister, MAF, and air scoop. Like you, I also experienced sticker price shock. I pulled the trigger on this product, one because I can afford to, two I didn't want to modify my V-Bank Cover, and three, I didn't want to modify or create a box to isolate the intake from the engine compartment's heat. As with all things in life, to each their own.
Old 02-09-14, 08:02 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DarthSid - does the intake chamber do anything for you other then change the sound? I added a duct from the OEM airbox to the area in front of the radiator to increase the available air when necessay; also added the K&N filter. I have plenty of sound with the PPE headers and my custom exhaust.
Old 02-09-14, 08:17 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

SlvBullet,

Like you, I also installed a K&N filter yesterday morning. I drove my car around town and I must say I have noticed a quicker throttle response, power plus the growl. I need to take a long drive out of town to truly put the car to the test. I still have the OEM headers and exhaust system. Maybe some one can chime in on a decent exhaust system. I will have to get back to you on my final assessment after putting more miles on my car. hope I answered your question.
Old 02-09-14, 09:05 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by DarthSid
Mandyfig

The Cusco Tower Bar has plenty of clearance to the V-Bank Cover. I also was out test driving my car yesterday and inspected under the hood and there is no rubbing or marring on the hood or cover. I included a photo to illustrate the clearance from the bar to cover.

Very cool, thanks a lot. Hope to get a quick response from Mathieu. Thanks for the pic again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Upgrades Air Intake & Cusco Tower