RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Duracell Car Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 11:35 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duracell Car Batteries?

2008 RX 350 new March 08.

So what's the word on Duracell branded batteries as sold by Sam's Club? Some company called East Penn Mfg. in Lyon Station, PA is licensing the name.

Let me state up front that I have already replaced the battery so while it's moot for me I'm curious about these batteries.

Last night without realizing it, by sitting for a bit with the engine off and the lights on (due to the auto setting) I gave my 3.5 year old OEM battery (by Johnson Controls) a stress test which it failed. Just a short time and the battery was reduced to the dreaded click click click.

And I'm very glad it happened when and where it did as it was in a highly convenient situation to get a jump from the friend I was meeting. I could have been stranded in a far worse location or timing situation. There was no prior warning of hard starts or anything. Charging system is good...I have a digital voltmeter plugged into the floor outlet at all times and it's always in the 13(high decimal) to 14.(lowdecimal) range.

I had good luck with the products sold by Sam's Club in the past and liked their liberal no questions asked warranty. I went into Walmart first and found what I think was the exact Johnson Controls battery as the OEM, differing only with a slightly improved spec and a minor case modification to allow for a lifting strap. Then I went over to Sam's and saw that their batteries are now this Duracell product and the price was under a dollar less. They may be excellent but not knowing anything about them I went with the Johnson Controls battery from Walmart.

Before setting out I had disconnected the connectors and gave everything a good cleaning before reassembling and hitting the road. So all the dirty work was already done and I did the battery swap right there in the parking lot so I could take the old one back inside to collect the core credit.

As I described previously on this forum during both the cleanup and the actual swap I connected a small battery via the lighter socket (leaving a key in the accessories position) to keep things energized and not losing any settings. The attempted starts last night with an ailing battery did drop the voltage low enough to lose the clock but not radio stations and I haven't noticed anything odd about the windows or anything else that might need resetting.
Old 11-13-11, 01:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

East Penn puts out some very good batteries. I use their Deka ETX30L in my RX300 (a relative tiny battery, but works like a charm).
Old 11-13-11, 05:29 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Glad your swap went without a hitch. I can swap the batteries in less than a minute. You need to prepare and plan ahead. If settings are lost, it is a minor inconvenience. I am not a fan of any power through the acc feed with the key in the ignition. It has worked for you guys so all the power to you. I prefer to play it safe. There are just too many complication when it comes to key in ignition and loosing 12v.

[Note: most vehicles require you to wait 90sec after removing key from ignition, before you remove battery.]

Salim
Old 02-04-12, 11:20 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by filmteknik
2008 RX 350 new March 08.
I had good luck with the products sold by Sam's Club in the past and liked their liberal no questions asked warranty. I went into Walmart first and found what I think was the exact Johnson Controls battery as the OEM, differing only with a slightly improved spec and a minor case modification to allow for a lifting strap. Then I went over to Sam's and saw that their batteries are now this Duracell product and the price was under a dollar less. They may be excellent but not knowing anything about them I went with the Johnson Controls battery from Walmart.
Just curious as to why you spent money on an aftermarket battery when your OEM battery was still under factory warranty good for the full 84 months? I too have a 2008 RX and the battery went dead on me recently and Lexus replaced it and installed it for me in my garage free of charge with another new factory battery good for another 84 months.

To answer your question on Sams Club batteries, I have had very good luck with them. The current one in our other much older GS car is already 7 years old but starting to be marginal in performance. Can't complaint since I only paid $39 for it that came with a 24/84 month warranty. The Duracell Sams carry now come with a 36-m full replacement warranty rated at around 750CCA at $75 to 80. I will be getting that in a few weeks for other car.
Old 05-31-12, 03:55 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you seeing 84 months? I don't recall what the battery itself said on it but my Lexus warranties book has the basic warranty expiring at 48 mo / 50K miles.
Old 06-02-12, 05:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Battery is indeed 84 months, prorated. Even spelled out on battery itself, at least on mine before I replaced it. Costco battery is the same. 36 months full replacement.
Old 01-25-14, 01:54 AM
Bomber Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sams Duracell battery has been in my wifes Z28 for the last 4 years and still holding up strong... It has been a great battery. AAAAA+++++
Old 01-28-14, 02:16 PM
john62395
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the battery in my RX and it has been working like a charm. I bought it from Costco and was inexpensive. I tested it out by turning the vehicle off and leaving my headlights on. Seems to work pretty well. No issues yet!