View Single Post
Old 01-22-14, 06:01 AM   #9
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnoypi View Post
The max inflation on the sidewall is a safety max at cold tire pressure prior to bursting concerns that can be caused by bumps and road hazards once the tire air warms up.

Exceeding past the manufacturer's max load cold tire pressure recommendation will lead to a smaller contact patch with excessive wear in the center of your tire . It will affect handling characteristics and braking distance which is unsafe. You're compounding the risk of a blowout being in a heavy SUV.

Not worth the risk to the safety of yourself, passengers and others on the road, just to save on a few gallons of gas IMO.
When I stated manufacturer, I should have specified car manufacturer (Lexus) recommends as best tire pressure for optimum ride comfort.

Believe you'd still have to exceed the tire manfacturer rating pretty far to see a significantly smaller contact patch. Todays tires stiffen the sidewalls (versus bubble out days of old). Agree the blowout risk increases significantly, but I think handling and braking wouldn't be affected too much with todays tires. Ride quality would be horrible though. Agree that none of it is worth it though. Especially in a city like NY with our huge potholes.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote