RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX350 Rear Hatch

Old 01-20-14, 12:49 PM
bobett
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 RX350 Rear Hatch

On my RX350 2011, I could manually open the rear hatch after clicking the outside button. But on the 2014 I have to wait for the motor to open the hatch which takes forever. Is there any way to open the rear hatch manually yet close it with the automatic button?

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-20-14, 01:38 PM
cflutist
Driver

According to my 2014 RX 450h Manual, it is a setting that can be customized by the Dealer if you want to be able to open the back door from the outside Manually.

See the Back Door (1-3) section (page 75) and the Customization Section for the Power Back Door (6-2) at the back of the manual on page 829.
Old 01-20-14, 03:43 PM
bobett
Driver

Thanks for that page number.

But according to the dealer it has to be totally manual. Meaning that both open and close are manual. On the 2011 it was manual open and push button close which is how I like it
Old 01-20-14, 03:53 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobett
Thanks for that page number.

But according to the dealer it has to be totally manual. Meaning that both open and close are manual. On the 2011 it was manual open and push button close which is how I like it
Your dealer is incorrect! It doesn't have to be either or. The factory settings have the door auto with the key fob and inside dash button; the outside rear button is manual and inside rear button is auto. Are you the original owner? Dealer might charge you to change the settings ( as they offer one time free at 5k miles service). We bought our car CPO and the dealer agreed to re programmed personal settings for free. Check with your dealer and print out the all the possible settings with you.
Old 01-20-14, 04:03 PM
bobett
Driver

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Your dealer is incorrect! It doesn't have to be either or. The factory settings have the door auto with the key fob and inside dash button; the outside rear button is manual and inside rear button is auto. Are you the original owner? Dealer might charge you to change the settings ( as they offer one time free at 5k miles service). We bought our car CPO and the dealer agreed to re programmed personal settings for free. Check with your dealer and print out the all the possible settings with you.
It is a new car and I am the original owner. What I need is a detailed description in a Lexus document so that I can show it to the dealer and prove it. I got a list of the possible but it is not detailed enough. The only way I could follow it is to make them change it and try it out :-) If it does not work, then ask them to restore it to the original setting.

Thanks again for the follow up
Old 01-20-14, 04:13 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kinda of details are you looking for? I thought the 8 pages PDF from Lexus.com was enough for me to decide which settings to change.
Old 01-20-14, 04:20 PM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by pheonix72
What kinda of details are you looking for? I thought the 8 pages PDF from Lexus.com was enough for me to decide which settings to change.
http://www.lexus.com/service

The pdf downloads are there.

LEXUS PERSONALIZED SETTINGS (LPS)

Certain electronic functions can be customized to an owner's individual preference, such as automatic door locks, theft-deterrent system, power window system, illuminated entry system and moonroof operation. Each Lexus model has a different set of customizable electronic features. Depending on the model, programming of these features is performed once at no charge either at the 30-day/1,000-mile scheduled maintenance service, or the 6-month/5,000-mile scheduled service. Programming of some Lexus Personalized Settings[*] requires special equipment and may be performed only by an authorized Lexus dealership. For more information, please see your local Lexus dealer.

To find out which settings are available for your specific vehicle, click on a link below.
Old 01-20-14, 07:06 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had dealer to customize my 2013 RX to open back door automatically by pressing outside button on the door hatch. You can still open it manually by pressing the outside button twice. You will hear a longer beep (different from the usual beep), and then lift the back door by hand. If you don't do anything after the beep after 1 or 2 sec, the back door will be locked but not completely closed and you need to press the button again to open it automatically.

I usually do this trick if I am not sure if the back door has enough room to open while the garage door is closed.

Last edited by wilchan; 01-20-14 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 06:28 AM
bobett
Driver

Originally Posted by wilchan
I had dealer to customize my 2013 RX to open back door automatically by pressing outside button on the door hatch. You can still open it manually by pressing the outside button twice. You will hear a longer beep (different from the usual beep), and then lift the back door by hand. If you don't do anything after the beep after 1 or 2 sec, the back door will be locked but not completely closed and you need to press the button again to open it automatically.

I usually do this trick if I am not sure if the back door has enough room to open while the garage door is closed.
Wilchan,

Pushing the outside button twice worked perfectly. Just what I was looking for. Too bad the dealers have no idea how their cars operate. Lucky we have this forum.

Thanks very much

Bob
Old 01-21-14, 07:40 AM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by wilchan

Thank you very much, just tried it and it works great.
We have the same problem where the roll-up garage door rails would scratch the hatch (if opened up all the way).

Cheryl
2014 RX 450h AWD
Old 06-10-14, 04:41 PM
doctordirt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limit rear hatch opening

Is there any way on a RX350 to limit the height that the rear door opens. Presently it opens too high for garage and short people.
Old 06-10-14, 04:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordirt
Is there any way on a RX350 to limit the height that the rear door opens. Presently it opens too high for garage and short people.
Welcome to Club Lexus, doctordirt.

Unfortunately, no. Perhaps in the next generation redesign. It is a feature to be found on the upcoming NX.
Old 06-16-14, 02:10 PM
doctordirt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It is the only annoyance (so far). You would think this would be a fairly simple software fix for the door.
Old 06-16-14, 09:03 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bobett
Wilchan,

Pushing the outside button twice worked perfectly. Just what I was looking for. Too bad the dealers have no idea how their cars operate. Lucky we have this forum.
Thanks very much
Bob
Took three trips to the dealer to get the rear hatch button to activate the motor lift. It's the luck of the draw, timing or karma. Third time's the charm, I guess.
Thanks for the tip of pressing the outside button twice. Works perfectly as you said. Dealer did not tell me of this handy item.
Ray A.
Old 04-09-16, 12:10 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

I notice the other day there is the bigger button in the center of the latch, and a smaller one to the right. Am I correct that the left is for the hatch and the right is a lock button for the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 RX350 Rear Hatch