GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

All-Weather vs All-Season vs Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 09:06 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All-Weather vs All-Season vs Winter Tires

Woke up to read an article Thursday in my morning newspaper that talked about a new class of tire, the all-weather tire. While this tire does not match winter tires in deep snow it comes close and matches all-season on dry asphalt and exceeds winters and all-season on cold, wet asphalt. Right now only Nokian and Hankook offer this type of tire I would expect every other manufacturer to follow soon.

As I have GS with Michelin Primacy (all-season) and a Camry with Michelin Alpin (winter) tires I can attest to the relative advantage and disadvantages of each. The winter tires are prone to wheel spin when starting on wet of dry asphalt. As the area I live in (this winter excepted) has winter temperatures at or above freezing for the most part, the claimed advantages of all-weather would be welcomed. I also have to travel to jurisdictions like Quebec were tires rated for winter during the winter months are required by law, this type of tire would do the trick.

Not sure if any of you have any experience with all-weather tires? However this winter where I have to drive through dry relatively mild weather followed by frigid temperatures and deep lake-effect snow, followed by a massive ice storm I would consider these tires.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...board/follows/

http://blog.kaltire.com/all-weather-...on-for-winter/
Old 01-04-14, 06:39 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Thanks for the post. This All-Weather tires is news to me. I think it's great for Toronto's mild winters and for people who drive lower mileage and cannot justify spending money on two sets of tires. Definitely something to consider once my all-seasons and winters are done.
Old 01-05-14, 08:55 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

Spotted a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin at the dealer, but only some an "I don't know" when I asked questions about it. Some of the reviews about the tire suggest people are using it as an all-season tire, but there were some winter driving criticisms of the tire.
Old 01-05-14, 09:10 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
Spotted a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin at the dealer, but only some an "I don't know" when I asked questions about it. Some of the reviews about the tire suggest people are using it as an all-season tire, but there were some winter driving criticisms of the tire.
You are right. I had the michelin pilot alpine pa4 last year on 18 inch enkei wheels. I hated them. The tires were no better then my Michelin Primacy MXM4 all seasons in the snow. The tires were firmer too. I sold that winter set and I am getting a new winter set on the grey f-sport 19 inch rims with Michelin Xice Xi3 tires which are true winter tires and not performance winters like the pa4. That should make a huge difference. I am using the forged f-sport 19 inch optional wheels for the primacy mxm4 tires and this set will be stored for the next few months.
Old 01-05-14, 11:06 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

with Michelin Xice Xi3 tires which are true winter tires and not performance winters like the pa4. That should make a huge difference.
After some prodding this is what the dealer recommended along with a Bridgestone Blizzak model.
Old 01-05-14, 12:36 PM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have experience with these tires and was actually going to start a thread but never got around to it.

All Weather tires are not that new really, at least I've had mine (Nokian WRG2) since 2010 and they weren't completely new back then (I see from your link there is a WRG3 out now).

We lived in Vancouver and wanted something to get us up Mt Seymour (with chains in reserve) for our 2007 Camry, and the fact these tires can be left on all year around (esp in Vancouver's summers which are not extremely hot) seemed ideal, so we swapped the OEM Michelin all seasons (can't remember the exact model) for the Nokian WRG2s. I was astounded how good these Nokian tires were. Driving in the pouring rain was like being on a dry pavement while other cars were slipping and sliding. After moving to Toronto still with the Camry they performed equally well in the snow and ice here, and they were fine in summer as well.

In fact these tires were so good, accompanied by my hate of the twice-yearly changing tires ritual, that I resolved even before we purchased our GS350 that these tires were going on the GS.

So three weeks after purchase (October, so a little before the really cold weather) I took the car to Kal Tire where they removed the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4s and replaced them with the Nokian WRG2s.

What was immediately noticeable was how good the MXM4s that I'd discarded really were. They are superb in the wet (at that time of year anyway), give a lovely smooth ride and are extremely quiet.

The Nokians on the other hand give a somewhat harsher ride, and the noise on highways, while really not a cause for complaint in a 2007 Camry, suddenly seemed off putting in a refined vehicle like the GS.

I took the car to the Lexus dealer to get the wheels road force balanced and this improved matters greatly. Got through the winter no problem (these are great tires in wet, cold, slush, ice, light to medium snow) but once the spring arrived I found myself missing the MXM4s more and more and by the time summer had ended I'd decided to repurchase the MXM4s (!!), which I did, with the intention of leaving them on all year around (since I hate doing the tire swap thing as mentioned), however after being burnt once already I retained the WRG2s just in case I changed my mind yet again.

The upshot is the WRG2s while certainly "All Weather" are really more accurately described as winter tires that can be left on all year round. They perform at their best in fall, winter and spring, so I'd class them as 3 season tires myself (but which can be left on in summer if desired).

I'd also class the MXM4s as 3 season tires. Yes they have the sunflower oil that softens the compound but they really are no match for the WRG2s in winter.

So, I use both sets of tires now - the MXM4s from around mid March to late November, and the WRG2s over the harshest months.

While obviously this does mean the added expense and inconvenience of the twice-yearly change, it does give the best all round driving experience, for me anyway - plus there is such a big weather and temperature overlap between the two sets of tires that it is no issue to hold off longer or change them earlier rather than second guessing when the weather is going to warm up and when's the best weekend to make the change, etc. which a lot of people fret over.

Hopefully the above gives some idea of the relatives merits of each. Oh, I haven't mentioned cornering. They both corner the same (really well).

Wow what a rant that was, hope this is of mild interest at least

Last edited by GM11; 01-05-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 12:42 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GM11
I have experience with these tires and was actually going to start a thread but never got around to it.

All Weather tires are not that new really, at least I'm had mine (Nokian WRG2) since 2010 and they weren't completely new back then (I see from your link there is a WRG3 out now).

We lived in Vancouver and wanted something to get us up Mt Seymour (with chains in reserve) for our 2009 Camry, and the fact these tires can be left on all year around (esp in Vancouver's summers which are not extremely hot) seemed ideal, so we swapped the OEM Michelin all seasons (can't remember the exact model) for the Nokian WRG2s. I was astounded how good these Nokian tires were. Driving in the pouring rain was like being on a dry pavement while other cars were slipping and sliding. After moving to Toronto still with the Camry they performed equally well in the snow and ice here, and they were fine in summer as well.

In fact these tires were so good, accompanied by my hate of the twice-yearly changing tires ritual, that I resolved even before we purchased our GS350 that these tires were going on the GS.

So three weeks after purchase (October, so a little before the really cold weather) I took the car to Kal Tire where they removed the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4s and replaced them with the Nokian WRG2s.

What was immediately noticeable was how good the MXM4s that I'd discarded really were. They are superb in the wet (at that time of year anyway), give a lovely smooth ride and are extremely quiet.

The Nokians on the other had give a somewhat harsher ride, and the noise on highways, while really not a cause for complaint in a 2009 Camry, suddenly seemed off putting in a refined vehicle like the GS.

I took the car to the Lexus dealer to get the wheels road force balanced and this improved matters greatly. Got through the winter no problem (these are great tires in wet, cold, slush, ice, light to medium snow) but once the spring arrived I found myself missing the MXM4s more and more and by the time summer had ended I'd decided to repurchase the MXM4s (!!), which I did, with the intention of leaving them on all year around (since I hate doing the tire swap thing as mentioned), however after being burnt once already I retained the WRG2s just in case I changed my mind yet again.

The upshot is the WRG2s while certainly "All Weather" are really more accurately described as winter tires that can be left on all year round. They perform at their best in fall, winter and spring, so I'd class them as 3 season tires myself (but which can be left on in summer if desired).

I'd also class the MXM4s as 3 season tires. Yes they have the sunflower oil that softens the compound but they really are no match for the WRG2s in winter.

So, I use both sets of tires now - the MXM4s from around mid March to late November, and the WRG2s over the harshest months.

While obviously this does mean the added expense and inconvenience of the twice-yearly change, it does give the best all round driving experience, for me anyway - plus there is such a big weather and temperature overlap between the two sets of tires that it is no issue to hold off longer or change them earlier rather than second guessing when the weather is going to warm up and when's the best weekend to make the change, etc. which a lot of people fret over.

Hopefully the above gives some idea of the relatives merits of each. Oh, I haven't mentioned cornering. They both corner the same (really well).

Wow what a rant that was, hope this is of mild interest and least

You hit all the right points with me! I love my Primacy MXM4 as they are so smooth, comfortable, quiet and great road feel even at 10 degrees and lower temperature but thats where it stops. THe traction is not very good and the rear end fish tails easily even in snow mode so I will also classify this as a 3 season tire that can get you through at least few inch of snow but not more than 4 inch or ice. I will use the Xice 3 this week for the rest of the winter.
Old 01-05-14, 01:37 PM
GM11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
You hit all the right points with me! I love my Primacy MXM4 as they are so smooth, comfortable, quiet and great road feel even at 10 degrees and lower temperature but thats where it stops. THe traction is not very good and the rear end fish tails easily even in snow mode so I will also classify this as a 3 season tire that can get you through at least few inch of snow but not more than 4 inch or ice. I will use the Xice 3 this week for the rest of the winter.
Agree completely
Old 01-05-14, 01:38 PM
GM11
Rookie

I just edited my post above - it was a 2007 Camry, not 2009.
Old 01-05-14, 05:41 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am an old SOB and have used snows on all my cars for as long as I can remember here in the Boston area. I put my snows on last week and with the recent Nor'easter and the extreme cold there is no substitute for good snow tires. Granted the all seasons and all weather work most of the time but when you really need it they fail. My AWD GS with snows is a tank. I appreciate the tires almost as much in the really cold days as much as when the flakes fly. I think most people try and skate by(pun intended) but I like the peace of mind with snows on both mine and my wife's car.
YMMV
JTMav
Old 01-06-14, 06:48 AM
zicogold
Pole Position

the MXM4s from around mid March to late November, and the WRG2s over the harshest months
Thanks for the in-depth feedback, so the Nokian all-weathers sound like they are a good choice for my Camry. The problem in the Toronto area is that we get a snowless or 2 to 3 week winter in 2 out 3 years, the winter tires are dealing with mild temperatures and dry or wet asphalt more often than not. Which means a whirring noise and a lock and slide when braking on slight downward inclines.

I had to drive across the city last night, from Oakville to Oshawa and back, a round trip of about 220 km. I took the 407 for the most part and drove through a full range of winter weather, snow and snow covered roads, rain, freezing rain and ice covered surfaces. The Primacys did quite well, as well all the traction control and anti-skid technology kept me on the straight and narrow. Believe me it was tough road conditions, I felt like I was a Nordic rally driver through most of it. The car did well even when a mini van spun out just in front of me and ended up driving perpendicular to the 6 lanes on the highway.
Old 01-06-14, 04:13 PM
GM11
Rookie

On the Camry definitely I think you would be very happy with the WGR2s all year around.

Not so clear cut with the GS for sure although on both dry and wet pavements they do outperform the MXM4s when it's below 7 degrees, which it nearly always is this time of year (-20 tomorrow? yikes). Certainly no locking or sliding like you describe.

Truth be told I could get by using the MXM4s myself as if the weather's that bad I can just work at home or take the subway. My wife however strongly prefers the WRG2s in winter and she does the bulk of the driving on school days. Basically when the weather's cold you stop an awful lot faster with the WRG2s wet or dry so I'd say they're certainly safer in that regard. As they say Happy wife, happy life.