RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Car stereo

Old 11-27-13, 12:15 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stereo

Hi. I'm a new member. I just traded in my 2005 rx for a CPO 2011 rx with the 12 speaker stereo. I am a long time audiophile who has put expensive after market stereos in many of my cars. I had done some some upgrades to my 2005 rx with mixed success including some Alpine amplifiers and a good subwoofer. The stereo in the 2011 is most certainly an improvement over my stock 2005. The placement of the tweeter and midrange make for good higher frequencies, being near ear level. The midrange driver is rather small and no doubt doesn't put out enough in the lower midband. The main failing of the system is the bass. There is a subwoofer in the rear driver's side cargo area that just doesn't "woof" enough. I was considering having an upgrade done. It seems to me that it could be an easy "fix" for a good car stereo installer by taking the speaker leads off the current subwoofer, hooking it up to an amp that can take a speaker wire input and then hooking that up to an upgraded subwoofer with better output capabilities. Some EQ would help as well. Has anyone done this? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-28-13, 03:28 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Welcome to CL Ned. I like the sound from my 2012 RX. I believe I read that one of the members did upgrade the stereo ,I'm not sure if it was an RX or IS. I post in both since My Wife has the IS, and I have the RX.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-13, 08:04 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Welcome to CL Ned. I like the sound from my 2012 RX. I believe I read that one of the members did upgrade the stereo ,I'm not sure if it was an RX or IS. I post in both since My Wife has the IS, and I have the RX.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Thanks. I think that the stereo does many things well. The bass certainly doesn't have great impact and I'm hoping the solution is easy and not too costly. We will see. Great bass makes all the difference in the world and is often the difference between ok sound and great sound. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-29-13, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ Agreed. For me as well, it's all about the bass. I'm happy with the ML in mine and the rear sub helps - does the 12-speaker come with a sub?
Old 11-30-13, 08:12 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Agreed. For me as well, it's all about the bass. I'm happy with the ML in mine and the rear sub helps - does the 12-speaker come with a sub?
There is a sub in drivers side cargo area. It clearly doesn't have enough output, the system has nothing close to any slam or quality bass. Too bad, otherwise the stereo is pretty good. In doing some research it seems the easiest solution would be getting a powered subwoofer with speaker wire inputs to hang out in the cargo area. I spotted one made by Rockford Fosgate with a 10 inch woofer in a sealed box that is pretty compact. Should be an easy install in that you could take the output off the existing subwoofer to the new woofer. Any decent installer can get some kind of power hookup to the cargo area. I'm sue that the ML system is better but it is really hard to find, not too many come in with that option, let alone finding it in a CPO car. I'm Willing to bet that even the ML system would greatly benefit from a powered woofer but not too many care enough to have a woofer sitting in the cargo area. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-30-13, 08:43 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are an audiophile in the first place why not go with at 10" sub with a 500.1amp in the back to help with the clan bass
Old 11-30-13, 08:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ML could stand an extra boost in the bass area. But as tempting as it is (the 12V battery is in the cargo area on the RXh), I know it won't stop with just subwoofers. And I'm not into adding seat massage at this point, LOL! For those considering, don't forget about the area below the cargo area. The spare is inside now but there might be enough room. My old installer did a custom fiberglass enclosure with two subs that fit perfectly in the 330. No compromise on space whatsoever either.
Old 11-30-13, 11:47 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
ML could stand an extra boost in the bass area. But as tempting as it is (the 12V battery is in the cargo area on the RXh), I know it won't stop with just subwoofers. And I'm not into adding seat massage at this point, LOL! For those considering, don't forget about the area below the cargo area. The spare is inside now but there might be enough room. My old installer did a custom fiberglass enclosure with two subs that fit perfectly in the 330. No compromise on space whatsoever either.
I know all about not stopping as it pertains to my car stereos, but at this juncture in my life and with the integration of all electronic functions through the radio/NAV, a decent powered sub in the back is a simple way to go with a ton of bang for the buck. The stock stereo really doesn't seem all too bad with the tweeter and midrange at ear level. Even in the most expensive home speakers, a vast amount of expense and size goes into the bass reproduction. In a car environment even a modestly priced,well designed powered subwoofer in a sealed box can sound like a million bucks, can turn an ok sounding system into a monster!! No doubt. I'll keep you posted with the results when I get around to doing it. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-30-13, 11:51 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
If you are an audiophile in the first place why not go with at 10" sub with a 500.1amp in the back to help with the clan bass
That's kinda what I'm thinking of doing. A powered 10 inch sub fed off the stock sub just hanging out in the cargo area. I know it will transform the stereo!! Regards. Ned.
Old 12-08-13, 03:55 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Well I picked up a Rockford Fosgate p300-10 from Amazon for $180. I will have it installed for $100 on Wednesday and let it hang out in the cargo area. It is a powered 10 inch sub with a relatively small footprint, only 9 inches deep at the base and 6 inches wide at the top. Also getting a radar/ laser detector installed. Will report back on the subwoofer to say if it is transformative to the sound, I think it will be. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-09-13, 09:16 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
ML could stand an extra boost in the bass area.
I sort of felt the same when we got our RX a year ago, but the more I listen to the ML system, I feel the bass is pretty accurate. It's a natural sound that seems true. If I were to do anything, I'd start with a Dynamat type treatment of the rear cabin area as has been written up in another thread on this topic.

It seems more and more we are exposed to overemphasized bass. Booming home theaters. Cheap "high end" car stereos (Bose system in my Altima). Sat/Sub systems on our computers. We've come to assume if a sub isn't booming that it's lacking.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 12-10-13, 07:24 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr72
I sort of felt the same when we got our RX a year ago, but the more I listen to the ML system, I feel the bass is pretty accurate. It's a natural sound that seems true. If I were to do anything, I'd start with a Dynamat type treatment of the rear cabin area as has been written up in another thread on this topic.

It seems more and more we are exposed to overemphasized bass. Booming home theaters. Cheap "high end" car stereos (Bose system in my Altima). Sat/Sub systems on our computers. We've come to assume if a sub isn't booming that it's lacking.

I would completely agree. I find the RX premium sound system is very well tuned. The bass is very transparent, which is a great thing. It is not supposed to stand-out on its own.
Old 12-10-13, 08:46 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I would completely agree. I find the RX premium sound system is very well tuned. The bass is very transparent, which is a great thing. It is not supposed to stand-out on its own.
I have not heard the ML sound system in the rx, and I am not into booming bass either. I have been a lifelong audiophile who listens to all kinds of music from rock and jazz to classical music. I have had many high end sound systems in my many cars over the years, with some costing close to $10,000. As I said, the regular premium sound system in the rx(non ML system) is not too bad. But it realy has very little output below 50-60 cycles or the bottom 1-2 octaves of bass. The system has very little impact or slam in the low end, it's just not there, period. Now many people these days don't care and that's fine. The hardest and most expensive part of a sound system to get right is the bass. It requires a well made enclosure, a large amplifier(the bass uses most of an amplifiers power relative to the mids and highs and is why you often see subwoofers with 500-1000 watts) and adjustments for room accoustics. Most car companies won't take the time or the expense and space to provide what is needed for great bass, even in the ML stereo. Filling in the bottom octave of bass can transform an ok sounding system in a killer of a system, you would be amazed! Trust me when I tell you that the stock system has a very limited low end. As I said, I am having the Rockford Fosgate suwoofer installed tomorrow. It is a ten inch sealed bos sub with 300 watts in a compact enclosure. I will report back with the results, as in modestly better or you must do this if you care about great sound!! Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Last edited by ngerstman; 12-10-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:58 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecr72

The reality is in almost all car stereos, true low end is in fact, not there. The companies boost up the mid base to make up for the missing low end which can't be reproduced due to lack of drivers, power and enclosure size, just the laws of physics and practical limitations. Most people don't know what they are missing anyway and a vast majority don't care so the companies don't care. The few who do care can choose to do something about it if it can be done in a cost effective practical way. I care about my sound and if it got any more complicated than what I am doing, I would not have pursued it. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-10-13, 11:34 AM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ngerstman
Well I picked up a Rockford Fosgate p300-10 from Amazon for $180. I will have it installed for $100 on Wednesday and let it hang out in the cargo area. It is a powered 10 inch sub with a relatively small footprint, only 9 inches deep at the base and 6 inches wide at the top. Also getting a radar/ laser detector installed. Will report back on the subwoofer to say if it is transformative to the sound, I think it will be. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing you are. For around $300 the sound quality can be significantly improved. The 12 speaker premium audio is not as bad as I expected it to be. With a little more umph on the low end it can sound quite good. I know you are running a power line to the battery. Are you tapping into the existing sub for audio? Please show some photos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car stereo