ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rotor comparison help brembo VS stealership

Old 10-25-13, 03:13 PM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor comparison help brembo VS stealership

i finally decide to do a complete break overhall i drive between Montreal and New York all snow area i'm trying to decide between dealer OEM Rotor or Brembo Coated Disc Brake Rotor they said the coated rotor help prevent surface rust from the salt and snow

Brembo Coated Disc Brake Rotor (BRC1607102) $71.44 CAD from online
or
Lexus OEM Rotor (43512-06031) $96.25USD

Last edited by albertldee; 10-28-13 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 04:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I would go with either the Brembo's or PremiumOne ATE, Canadian Tire sells the ATE rotors. I don't know about in your area but here they often have 25% off on the ATE stuff.

I put a set of ATE's on my Camry and really like them, much much better bite than the old ones.
Old 10-25-13, 07:37 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Where the pad touches the rotor, that area will rust. There is nothing you can do. The rust will go away when you drive. Performance wise, you will not see a difference. Just stick with OEM brand brake rotors...which you can get from Canadian Tire, NAPA, CarQuest, etc.
Old 10-26-13, 07:31 AM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

canada tire or NAPA dont sell OEM just the dealer i dont realy buy form Canada tire the price is 2-3 time what it sell for in the USA so i buy parts in the USA from dealership or online
Old 10-26-13, 09:19 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by albertldee
canada tire or NAPA dont sell OEM just the dealer i dont realy buy form Canada tire the price is 2-3 time what it sell for in the USA so i buy parts in the USA from dealership or online
I have bought many parts from the States.
Depending on what parts.
If the part is small, then shipping will be relatively cheap.
If the part is big and heavy, then shipping will be relatively expensive. Furthermore, if they ship by carrier (i.e. FedEx, UPS, etc), expect to pay a huge broker's fee.
Don't forget the 2 weeks down time waiting for the parts.
Many years ago, I bought rotors from the States and shipping was about CAD$50-60. There was also custom / broker's fee depending on which carrier.
And if they shipped you the wrong part or if the part is damaged, then more headache...it happens. So your rotors $150 + shipping + broker's fee might come to +$200 with two weeks of waiting if everything goes smooth.

I said OEM brand rotors....meaning they are OEM equivalent.
I have bought and used many NAPA / Canadian Tire premium brake components. They are perfectly fine. A premium rotor at NAPA / CT is only about $60-80 each....or less if they go on sale which happens often. So, at the end of the day, you would pay $150 with no headache....

Or if you still insist of having OEM rotors from dealership, try local dealerhsip. If you are nice enough, the parts guy will give you 10-15% off........
Old 10-26-13, 11:25 AM
ViPeRs103
Driver

I had alot of success buying from http://www.r1concepts.com/Lexus-ES300-2001-parts.aspx you might want to take a look at the premium series line in which they're black electro coated to resist the rust. Hope that helped you out!
Old 10-26-13, 12:59 PM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
I have bought many parts from the States.
Depending on what parts.
If the part is small, then shipping will be relatively cheap.
If the part is big and heavy, then shipping will be relatively expensive. Furthermore, if they ship by carrier (i.e. FedEx, UPS, etc), expect to pay a huge broker's fee.
Don't forget the 2 weeks down time waiting for the parts.
Many years ago, I bought rotors from the States and shipping was about CAD$50-60. There was also custom / broker's fee depending on which carrier.
And if they shipped you the wrong part or if the part is damaged, then more headache...it happens. So your rotors $150 + shipping + broker's fee might come to +$200 with two weeks of waiting if everything goes smooth.

I said OEM brand rotors....meaning they are OEM equivalent.
I have bought and used many NAPA / Canadian Tire premium brake components. They are perfectly fine. A premium rotor at NAPA / CT is only about $60-80 each....or less if they go on sale which happens often. So, at the end of the day, you would pay $150 with no headache....

Or if you still insist of having OEM rotors from dealership, try local dealerhsip. If you are nice enough, the parts guy will give you 10-15% off........
would that be like about 5-6 years ago, if you buy from tirerack, discounttire, rackauto there is no custom fee only shipping fee
4 months ago bougt 4 altimax snow tire $348+140 custom fee = 463 paid to discounttire, tire come to my door by ups, wednesday bought 2 complete maroon strut rockauto $286 total include shipping NAPA canada wanted $551 for same exact part number and for the tire canada tire total was $700 plus dont remember, i can go on and on, i' not saying your situation didnt hapen but must have being long time ago

Last edited by albertldee; 10-26-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 01:43 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

would that be like about 5-6 years ago, if you buy from tirerack, discounttire, rackauto there is no custom fee only shipping fee
4 months ago bougt 4 altimax snow tire $348+140 custom fee = 463 paid to discounttire, tire come to my door by ups, wednesday bought 2 complete maroon strut rockauto $286 total include shipping NAPA canada wanted $551 for same exact part number and for the tire canada tire total was $700 plus dont remember, i can go on and on, i' not saying your situation didnt hapen but must have being long time ago
No it still happens. It depends on the seller. If the seller does the paper work up front (such as TireRack) you will not get hit with the broker's fee. But not all sellers go that route.

You might get lucky....
Old 10-26-13, 04:49 PM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

i'm not sure about other seller i only buy from Tirerack, Discounttire and rockauto read rockauto police gurantee no broker fee http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/6712.html

my experience is just within the past year not sure about before, but i would reccomend if any of the above charge you broker fee it's a mistake do not pay it call them up and have them fix it

my last order was wednesday for MONROE Strut part # 172264 and 172263 total include shipping to my door no broker fee $296.74 ($221.05 for both + 63.87for shipping + $11 tax) when you have time call up NAPA Canada give them the same parts number it will be $551 to walk out the door with both i save $255 for the same exact item

Last edited by albertldee; 10-26-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 06:51 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had good experience buying from this seller on ebay. He has all different types of rotors, blanks, slotted, slotted/drilled, etc. And of course they have zinc finish so that your rotors don't rust.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/advance_brake_technology
Old 10-26-13, 09:10 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not sure about other seller i only buy from Tirerack, Discounttire and rockauto read rockauto police gurantee no broker fee http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/6712.html

my experience is just within the past year not sure about before, but i would reccomend if any of the above charge you broker fee it's a mistake do not pay it call them up and have them fix it

my last order was wednesday for MONROE Strut part # 172264 and 172263 total include shipping to my door no broker fee $296.74 ($221.05 for both + 63.87for shipping + $11 tax) when you have time call up NAPA Canada give them the same parts number it will be $551 to walk out the door with both i save $255 for the same exact item
That is because Tirerack, DiscountTire, RockAuto ship by UPS Worldwide Express Plus (or similar service by other carriers). They pay extra and spend time up front to make sure there is no broker's fee.

See UPS description here.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Bottom line, if you are sure the seller can ship using UPS Worldwide Express Plus (or similar service by other carriers) or USPS, then it might worth while. Not all sellers will do UPS Worldwide Express Plus.

From my experience, dealing with a lot of aftermarket parts, and parts that can only be bought from the States, there are times I have to pay broker's fees. The seller would only ship normal USP / FedEx.

More supplementary reading
http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/cus...shipcanada.htm
Old 10-27-13, 02:30 PM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

That is because Tirerack, DiscountTire, RockAuto ship by UPS Worldwide Express Plus (or similar service by other carriers). They pay extra and spend time up front to make sure there is no broker's fee.

See UPS description here.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Bottom line, if you are sure the seller can ship using UPS Worldwide Express Plus (or similar service by other carriers) or USPS, then it might worth while. Not all sellers will do UPS Worldwide Express Plus.

From my experience, dealing with a lot of aftermarket parts, and parts that can only be bought from the States, there are times I have to pay broker's fees. The seller would only ship normal USP / FedEx.

More supplementary reading
http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/cus...shipcanada.htm
OK i'm not sure about UPS or any other seller as i stated i only buy from Discounttire, tirerack & Rockauto and every time i buy i save over $200 on the same exact item that sold in canada, i order over 20 time never pay any broker or anything just the final cost with shipping, Rockauto have every parts i need
Old 10-28-13, 06:30 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

OK i'm not sure about UPS or any other seller as i stated i only buy from Discounttire, tirerack & Rockauto and every time i buy i save over $200 on the same exact item that sold in canada, i order over 20 time never pay any broker or anything just the final cost with shipping, Rockauto have every parts i need
Well, you didn't mention you were only buying from Discounttire, tirerack & Rockauto until post #7....
If you mentioned it earlier, it would definitely helped.
Old 10-28-13, 07:06 AM
albertldee
Driver School Candidate

Well, you didn't mention you were only buying from Discounttire, tirerack & Rockauto until post #7....
If you mentioned it earlier, it would definitely helped.
i did not mention them cause post question was about rotor from AutopartsDOTca (see link) and Lexus Dealer OEM
Old 10-28-13, 08:24 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

i did not mention them cause post question was about rotor from AutopartsDOTca (see link) and Lexus Dealer OEM
Well, I see you edited the original post today....
I can't remember exactly what you wrote originally.....
This is getting even more confusing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotor comparison help brembo VS stealership