Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 clocks 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time

Old 10-15-13, 11:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 clocks 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time

Muscle cars, as their name implies, are historically more about muscle than they are about the performance it brings. 0-60 and quarter-mile times, sure, but not lap records on twisting and turning road courses. But Chevy is out to change all that with the latest Camaro Z/28.

The Bowtie brand has just published in-car video footage of the new Z/28 lapping the Nürburgring, and boy did it hustle: the king of Camaros clocked a lap time of 7:37.47, nearly four seconds faster than the ZL1 managed last year.

To put that into larger context, that makes the new Z/28 faster than the latest Porsche 911 Carrera S, faster than the Lexus LFA, faster than the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and SLS AMG. That also makes the new Camaro Z/28 faster around the Nordschleife than any other American metal this side of a Viper or Vette.

Old 10-15-13, 11:43 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot diggity! That's a blazing time. What a car! I'm liking it
Old 10-15-13, 11:48 AM
Hoovey689

To put that into larger context, that makes the new Z/28 faster than the latest Porsche 911 Carrera S, faster than the Lexus LFA, faster than the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and SLS AMG.
ok time for a LFA II..
Old 10-15-13, 11:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I read est. $60K pricing http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...28_first_look/
Old 10-15-13, 12:18 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

7:37 was fast... like 8 years ago.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
ok time for a LFA II..
The stupidity of comparing lap times notwithstanding, mag times can't be compared to factory test times. Even for magazines, Horst von Saurma is slow (Sascha Bert for Autobild was 5 seconds faster in the 458, for example). Factory times are routinely another 10+ seconds faster than the fastest magazines. If Lexus cared about lap times, they could send Akira Iida for a run in the base LFA and I doubt anyone thinks he wouldn't be 14-18 seconds faster than the mags.

According to Left Lane News, the Chevy time was set during a 10-hour session at the Nür. That's a lot of attempts, especially for the project's lead driver.

BTW, when the American companies are all over 'ring times, you really know it is just the new 0-60.

Last edited by gengar; 10-15-13 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very impressive. Lets give credit where credit is due. I agree its not a fast time over all but for a fat *** American car to pull a time like that is very impressive . These things are still pushing close to 2 tons even in lighter Z28 form
Old 10-15-13, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
7:37 was fast... like 8 years ago.

The stupidity of comparing lap times notwithstanding, mag times can't be compared to factory test times. Even for magazines, Horst von Saurma is slow (Sascha Bert for Autobild was 5 seconds faster in the 458, for example). Factory times are routinely another 10+ seconds faster than the fastest magazines. If Lexus cared about lap times, they could send Akira Iida for a run in the base LFA and I doubt anyone thinks he wouldn't be 14-18 seconds faster than the mags.

According to Left Lane News, the Chevy time was set during a 10-hour session at the Nür. That's a lot of attempts, especially for the project's lead driver.

BTW, when the American companies are all over 'ring times, you really know it is just the new 0-60.
A second gen LFA / successor doesn't interest an LFA owner?!
Old 10-15-13, 03:14 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw
Holy crap, there were three moments in that vid that were really intense.

-4:47
-6:31 (just after exiting the Kleines Karussell)
-6:36

That driver really has sharp reflexes

Plus, the fact that the driver has ***** to drive 160 MPH (or 250+ km/h).........in a Camaro........in the rain.

And he did all that while driving a car that only has a stick-shift (at least for that Z28 version).

That driver deserves some major props
Old 10-15-13, 04:13 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Holy crap, there were three moments in that vid that were really intense.

-4:47
-6:31 (just after exiting the Kleines Karussell)
-6:36

That driver really has sharp reflexes

Plus, the fact that the driver has ***** to drive 160 MPH (or 250+ km/h).........in a Camaro........in the rain.

And he did all that while driving a car that only has a stick-shift (at least for that Z28 version).

That driver deserves some major props
uhh... YEAH! Damn! All you guys poo-poo ing the lap, it was a WET TRACK with rain the last minute or two. LOL. Car was definitely a handful and that definitely slowed him down a lot. Just makes the lap time even more impressive.
Old 10-15-13, 05:14 PM
gengar

A second gen LFA / successor doesn't interest an LFA owner?!
I meant to quote the original article.

It would be nice to see another LFA, but i doubt that's in the works at Toyota. Admittedly, I would also prefer to see more enthusiast-level products in the Toyota and Lexus ranks than another LFA, at least for the time being.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
uhh... YEAH! Damn! All you guys poo-poo ing the lap, it was a WET TRACK with rain the last minute or two. LOL. Car was definitely a handful and that definitely slowed him down a lot. Just makes the lap time even more impressive.
That it was a partially wet lap makes all the marketing frou-frou even funnier, since they were out there for 10 hours and it took them this to produce their fastest lap.

Mostly, I'm just tired of the "lap time this" and "lap time that" - it's getting old and tired. Like I said before, it's the new 0-60.

Last edited by gengar; 10-15-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 06:23 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
That it was a partially wet lap makes all the marketing frou-frou even funnier, since they were out there for 10 hours and it took them this to produce their fastest lap.

Mostly, I'm just tired of the "lap time this" and "lap time that" - it's getting old and tired. Like I said before, it's the new 0-60.
I predicted this many years ago, that when the Americans started taking the Nurburgring seriously and got competitive, that people would suddenly find Nring to be "old and tired" and start to dismiss and poo-poo it, just like people are doing here. Nurburgring used to be THE HOLY GRAIL performance metric. Now suddenly it doesn't matter so much anymore. And....

oh well they used this driver instead of that driver
oh they used special tires and not street tires
they rented the track for 10 hours and it took them that long to get that time.

LOL
Old 10-15-13, 09:15 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Fast is fast. I don't care if it's a blown fleetwood or a pagani. If it can make you pucker in a corner, run away from most other things on the street, isn't a one-off, and gives you a permanent joker grin, then it commands respect -regardless of the country of origin.

For all those complaining - what exactly do you propose as a benchmark if 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 'Ring times are irrelevant?
Old 10-15-13, 11:16 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I predicted this many years ago, that when the Americans started taking the Nurburgring seriously and got competitive, that people would suddenly find Nring to be "old and tired" and start to dismiss and poo-poo it, just like people are doing here. Nurburgring used to be THE HOLY GRAIL performance metric. Now suddenly it doesn't matter so much anymore. And....

oh well they used this driver instead of that driver
oh they used special tires and not street tires
they rented the track for 10 hours and it took them that long to get that time.

LOL
Might want to wipe that egg off your face. You'll find many posts I've made on this forum, dating all the way back to when I joined the Club Lexus community in 2007, articulating my stance on how lap times are not a good measuring stick for sports cars. That belief predates my existence on this forum.

If you're really going to accuse me of changing my stance just because of manufacturer origin country bias, then you'll have to do a lot better than toss around reckless accusations that completely fly in the face of reality - a reality that you could even have looked up if you were more interested in truth than recklessly attacking others just because they have a different opinion.

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Fast is fast. I don't care if it's a blown fleetwood or a pagani. If it can make you pucker in a corner, run away from most other things on the street, isn't a one-off, and gives you a permanent joker grin, then it commands respect -regardless of the country of origin.

For all those complaining - what exactly do you propose as a benchmark if 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 'Ring times are irrelevant?
I don't think anyone has said that the spec times you mention are "irrelevant". Along with other numbers on the spec sheet like slalom, g-pad, etc., these numbers can be useful in giving us insight into the performance characteristics of a car.

But what I've said in the past is that lap times aren't an accurate measuring stick for even just the overall performance characteristics of a car, much less what driving enthusiasts look for in a car, specifically driving dynamics. I think this is something all people realize, no matter how much they like touting lap times.
Old 10-16-13, 11:09 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

For someone claiming not to care about track times, you sure are getting upset and worked up about track times. Relax.

Of course you can compare lap times and 0-60 and 1/4 mile. But you have to accept that there's going to be different conditions, locations, drivers, test tracks, tires especially at the ring, and cars themselves, and accept that there's going to be some variance. For 0-60, anything within about a half second is basically the same. Same for 1/4 mile. Enthusaists going crazy and obsessing over tenths of a second difference on forums is hilarious. Even beyond those numbers though, you can have two cars with the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers, yet have such drastically different characteristics on the street. Laughing when people try to shove 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in my face for my old RAV4 V6 when I dare to criticize it, and how I could possibly have been displeased with it. Well I can, because you know and I know there's far more to things than the numbers.

As far as ring times, I've never followed them closely enough to know what a good threshold would be to actually consider two cars to be different, but I'd say a good 15-20 seconds. Maybe 30? Any cars within 15-20 seconds or whatever of each other are basically the same, not different, nor is one "better" than the other. Even with the "same" ring times, two cars can still perform drastically different there. Some cars are just plain a handful and exhausting to drive, whereas others are composed and confident and could be hot-lapped all day long. The American entries might be putting in some killer lap-times, but the European cars tend to make easier work of it. A great car is not just one that can put in a killer lap time, but makes easier work of it versus another. Not just what it does, but how it does it, and I think you and I both know this too.

Just damned impressive to see a 'Maro of all cars, putting down such an impressive hot lap at Nurburgring. That LS7 has always been one helluva engine available in relatively low cost cars. Crazy.
Old 10-16-13, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Default Chevy pits the Camaro Z/28 against the Mustang Boss 302

Chevy pits the Camaro Z/28 against the Mustang Boss 302

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 clocks 7:37.47 Nürburgring lap time