RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My headlight won't light up completely

Old 09-14-13, 10:59 PM
austinav
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlight won't light up completely

Please help me.

I just bought a 2010 RX 350 with comfort package with USA spec. My car is imported into Asia country, and I found a very strange thing, now matter how to flip the switches, I cannot cannot power up those 2 lamps !

I borrowed a forum member's car picture below to illustrate my point. (BTW it is a very nice car)

Under what condition or switching method can i turn that lamps on?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-15-13, 04:52 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not knowing for sure what happened, it appears the original running lights have been changed out. Somehow they are coming on instead of the headlights. When the fog lights are on, the headlights should be burning at the same time. Your 'replaced' running lights are burning instead.
Originally Posted by austinav
Please help me.

I just bought a 2010 RX 350 with comfort package with USA spec. My car is imported into Asia country, and I found a very strange thing, now matter how to flip the switches, I cannot cannot power up those 2 lamps !

I borrowed a forum member's car picture below to illustrate my point. (BTW it is a very nice car)

Under what condition or switching method can i turn that lamps on?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-16-13, 04:35 AM
austinav
Rookie

Thank you for replying. My fog lamps will light up, together with the headlights. But the 2 "other headlights" beside the bixenon won't. May I know are they linked to the bixenon or are they linked to be turned on with the fog lights?

Or, most probably not, are they part of the DRL?

Thank you again.

Last edited by austinav; 09-16-13 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 08:27 AM
austinav
Rookie

Finally I got an understanding of the names of the lights from lexus manual. Indeed those 2 other lights are the DRL. Somehow, my country of residence (cambodia) do not allow DRL as it appeared to be light from headlight turning on during daytime, (those new model with LED strips as DRL is ok ! )

Perhaps the previous owner had disconnected it. Tomorrow I will go to the toyota centre to check it.

Anyone can let me know, is the DRL supposed to be turned on (or off automatically) during night time?
Old 09-16-13, 09:45 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Aren't those the high beams in addition to the DRLs? Try turning on your high beams when your headlights are on.

I thought there was a "DRL Off" switch on the same stalk you use to turn on the headlights (or set them to "auto"). If you have the Nav, I believe there is a setting to turn off the DRL. I had them turned off on our 2010.

Last edited by Woodrow; 09-16-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 09:47 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"Daytime Running Lights" at least here in the US, go off when the headlights come on. As you've found though, different countries around the world have different laws allowing DRL or not.
Old 09-16-13, 10:57 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Finally I got an understanding of the names of the lights from lexus manual. Indeed those 2 other lights are the DRL. Somehow, my country of residence (cambodia) do not allow DRL as it appeared to be light from headlight turning on during daytime, (those new model with LED strips as DRL is ok ! )

Perhaps the previous owner had disconnected it. Tomorrow I will go to the toyota centre to check it.

Anyone can let me know, is the DRL supposed to be turned on (or off automatically) during night time?
There's a setting in your settings menu under lighting. You can choose where to use DRLs or not.

Set your headlight settings to auto and the DRLs will turn on.
Old 09-16-13, 12:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The DRL off switch is on the stalk to the left side of the steering wheel. They're supposed to come on when the RX is in gear and are also the high beam. The fog lights only stay on with the headlights. At least that's the way it is here.
Old 09-17-13, 07:15 AM
austinav
Rookie

Thanks for all the kind replies. But since there are 3 versions of 3RX headlights, mine is the bixenon with built in shutter to open up to become high beam, so the other 2 are considered as DRL according to the manual. Correct me if I am wrong. See attached.

If I set the DRL either off or on, the DRL will not activate, I believed the previous owner had disconnected it.

I might leave it as it is because if the headlight is turned on, and the DRL will be automatically off, it will not help me much in the dark roads of Cambodia. I am thinking if the DRL will assist the brightness.

Old 09-17-13, 09:52 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I think there are a lot of people trying to help you with what they know ... but, realize that while this is an international forum and the RX is available in many countries, all of the respondents so far have been from the US and are likely providing input based on their knowledge of an RX first delivered to the United States.

IMHO, external lighting is one of the areas on the same model vehicle that can have significant differences based on the country each vehicle is first delivered to because of local laws -- e.g. DRLs are not required on US vehicles even today, and remain as options on some makes and models, but less-expensive vehicles don't even offer them. Lexus provides them on 3rd gen RX in the US and they come on when the headlights are off, but I can also manually override and turn the DRLs off as Anita suggested via the stalk (for example, some military bases want them off if you drive on-base -- don't ask me why). My 2014 MBZ allows me to turn its DRLs on and off completely via it's on-board computer, but there is no option like that in my US RX (DRL on and off is only via the stalk). Complicating matters when we're talking about how DRLs operate -- is on modern cars in other countries like Canada and most Scandanavian countries, they don't allow DRLs to be turned off by the consumer at all -- where I believe DRLs legally must be on at all times the headlights are not. From what I've also read, different countries sometimes have different types of lighting (white vs amber) and type or brightness of light that can be used as the DRL according to their laws -- making their location and appearance on even the same model vehicle vary from country-to-country. There are likely many other headlight, DRL, and side marker differences around the globe. We also know that Lexus, just like other manufacturers, bundles options and packages differently sometimes from country-to-country, so I don't know if that plays into this some way.

My point is, I at least don't know for sure how DRLs on an RX in Cambodia should operate. You have happened to ask a question that at first seems simple, but is probably one of the most tricky things for us to respond to on an RX first delivered to another country we may not be familiar with. From your original post, it appears your RX was imported from another Asian country complicating things if their laws related to DRL were different than those in Cambodia. My suggestion is, if you know, to first let us know what country your RX was originally manufactured for and delivered to before it came into Cambodia and your possession. Then, if someone here can't speak specifically to the headlights and DRL for an RX delivered to that country, you may want to call or go into a Lexus service department (hopefully close!) and see if they can clarify how 2010 DRLs should operate on your specific RX. I'm afraid we're going to continue guessing here otherwise.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-13, 09:55 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Thanks for all the kind replies. But since there are 3 versions of 3RX headlights, mine is the bixenon with built in shutter to open up to become high beam, so the other 2 are considered as DRL according to the manual. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct, in your configuration the lamps you are referring to are used as DRL only. They probably won't help much, if at all, to illuminate the roads for you outside of what the main headlights provide and as others have mentioned, do not come on when the headlights are on. DRLs are designed to help other people see you during the daytime, to help people see your vehicle on bright days when your vehicle might not be as easy to notice. As a safety feature, I knew DRLs where not mandatory in all locations, but this is the first time I've heard of them possibly being illegal. To me that would be like banning brake lights, or signal lights.
Old 09-18-13, 01:02 AM
austinav
Rookie

Hi friends, thanks again for all the replies. My car RX 350 MY 2010 was originally made in Canada based on the VIN, is exactly the same as the US spec for the US market. In Cambodia, most Toyotas and Lexuses are imported from USA California because of easy excess to seaport and a lot of brokers.

The first owner imported new (2010) from California. Why I know it because I checked with Carfax and Autocheck, All my original trims and options information were retrieved from TIS after paying 15 dollar subscription for 2 day access.

Cambodia is a bit funny for the law, if any. Driving with headlights on is against the "law". I will leave it as it is.

For the benefits of my friends here, I will post a new topic regarding a substitute of cabin air filter which I found out today.