RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 12:30 PM
linsan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 RX 350 Sat Radio

It does not work properly. I was told it was not designed to receive all of the satellite signals, therefore it cuts out terribly. I understand that all of the 2013 Lexus fleet has this problem and the lexus stance is that it is "operating as designed". We ought to get a class action lawsuit against them.
Old 08-28-13, 01:46 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem with my car! I posted earlier on here about it. My Service Adviser said it was an antenna problem and that Lexus was aware of it and working on a "fix"! I think he was just trying to get me to stop complaining about it. The reception on my RX is inferior to the reception I had in a 2007 GMC over the EXACT same roads/locations! You'd think technology would have improved in six years rather than deteriorate.

Reception in the RX is also worse than in our 2010 HS.
Old 08-28-13, 01:56 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Sirius in general is just not very good. I understand they naysay the antenna isn't very good, but its north much worse than any other car I've had with Satellite. I live in Texas so we don't have mountains. But if you get around overpasses or trees, it cuts out very easily. A lot of this also has to do with the satellites and their orientation to your part of the country.
Old 08-28-13, 02:22 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, and I may not know any better as I've only had SiriusXM for about 16 months, but I've just not encountered an issue with satellite reception here in Southern California and up into southern Nevada, beyond what I've grown to expect with satellite technology and the challenges with say going under overpasses, into concrete parking garages, in downtown areas with highrise buildings all around, and even my own garage at home where I loose service when I pull inside. As soon as I pull out into my driveway or get back into the clear, reception is pretty solid for me ...but like BarrettF77, I don't travel a lot through forests, groves of trees, or mountains where "line of sight" to a satellite or some repeater I suspect has a higher probability of being impaired. The reception of SiriusXM in my 2013 RX450h seems to be no different than my new 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK... same stations, similar travel patterns in the few weeks I've owned my SLK.

OP, you may also want to do some searches on this forum on Sirius, SiriusXM, etc. There have been other posts discussing the subject of reception -- generally as part of some other thread.
Old 08-28-13, 03:39 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Satellite Radio is dying. it's going to be the Next "My space".
In addition to falling stock prices, the quality is NOT good at all. It's a total garbage.
The premium sound system, not just from LExus but in any car should be spared from Sat Radio.

Seriously, compare the Quality of your favorite song. Hear it on channel 2 ( Hits 1) then hear it from your local FM station. i guarantee you analog transmission is better.. HD would be 10x richer.

Another alternative is Pandora.

Lastly, class action law suit...REALLY? the only people who gets tons of money in this cases are the LAWYERS. Even if you win. you'll probably get 3 months worth of subscription ( less than $50)
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-15-20)
Old 08-28-13, 04:49 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Considering the OP is on their first post, not exactly a great way to start. Maybe it was just their needing to vent.

I agree, Sirius will likely get cheaper or die off. It's overpriced and steaming is becoming easier with each tech advancement. I can see Sirius changing to a streaming service possibly, but their pricing model is a huge detractor for me.
Old 08-28-13, 05:37 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark, I don't disagree with you completely, however, one benefit of satellite, depending upon the channel, is far less -- but ever increasing -- ads (or in SiriusXM case, some channels suggesting other channels and special events that I care less about) compared to AM, FM and HD versions of those. I've been vocal here about it before, and despise SiriusXM Customer Service and corporate pricing strategies with the games consumers must play to obtain rates 40% or more less than what happens online or if you just let auto renew happen.

Agree quality of HD is super -- just wish I could find similar programming I like without a bunch of ads and chitter-chatter that lasted more than 30-40 minutes when I'm on the freeway, before I have to find another one.

Glad I have an iPod with 750 albums of my choice dedicated to both of my rides when I get frustrated with both live sources -- that works well, but definitely makes me feel like an old fogey stuck with his tunes that turned him on primarily as a teenager and younger guy many moons ago with less more contemporary albums of interest in my collection from these days. I'm far from "hip" (just that term dates me), but I gotta try a little, since I'm not dead yet. . Only live channels from some source can provide me "new tunes" so-to-speak.

Pandora (or even Apple's new Radio once that comes out) on the other hand, at least for me is much, much, more problematic quality-wise than even satellite -- with or without running it via the extra cost Lexus/MBZ Apps, or just streaming it directly via Bluetooth and having to physically play with my phone that I hate to do from a safety perspective vs more limited but convenient Nav interface while driving. Some of us do not need or elect to have pricey higher GB/mo data plans that in my case would cost me more than SiriusXM each month. At least for me even here in big 'ol Southern California, I can't keep my phone in my pocket while driving in many areas I frequent in either my Lexus or MBZ if I want to attempt hearing a couple of songs in a row from Pandora or other streaming service without a blip somewhere. I have to remember to move the phone out of my pocket before getting in the car and keep its antennae where it can have better reception (lots of analogies to the satellite challenges IMHO ).

...and lastly, IMO I agree with you, Class Action on Lexus and/or SiriusXM is nutty for the benfit of an individual consumer. To each their own, but its not something I'd personally spend any of my time pursuing, as it's easier to vote with my dollars and not subscribe to the monopoly that is SiriusXM if I don't like what they and various car mfgrs offer with supporting hardware and interface. Who thinks SiriusXM isn't part of the equation with the equipment installed, interface offered, and "free trials" in multiple mfgr cars these days anyway -- not me at least.

Last edited by BertL; 08-28-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling... Won't I ever learn? (Nope)
The following users liked this post:
heshamos (09-09-18)
Old 08-28-13, 07:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Linda, I understand what you're saying but as others here are also commenting on, satellite radio isn't perfect science yet. It's strictly line of sight, anything from pulling into your garage to driving past wet trees between you and the satellite is going to mess it up. 2nd, the signal is compressed, so just because it's digital doesn't mean it's the same crisp clean sound you can get from a CD or your iPod or even FM. Like Bert, when I'm on the road, it's usually my iPod for the music.
Originally Posted by linsan
It does not work properly. I was told it was not designed to receive all of the satellite signals, therefore it cuts out terribly. I understand that all of the 2013 Lexus fleet has this problem and the lexus stance is that it is "operating as designed". We ought to get a class action lawsuit against them.
Old 08-28-13, 08:37 PM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

I like Sirius/XM but my 2013 RX450h has the poorest reception I have ever seen. I have it in our other vehicles (Yukon, 750Li) and while the BMW fades under the occasional underpass or tunnel, it never fades because I am behind trees or other small obstructions. I have to be in a tunnel for over 20 seconds before the Yukon is impacted and it never fades in areas where the Lexus drops out, even if I have surfboards or SUPs on the roof.

Definitely a design and/or component issue.
Old 08-28-13, 10:14 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

I had a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 before i traded it in for my 2010 RX450h. The Sirius/XM cut out on that car all the time. I don't seem to have much of an issue with the RX. If I were you, goto your Lexus Dealer and demand they pull the radio and reseat the connection in the back. Also request they do the same at the satellite antenna connection point. It should be covered under warranty. And just like any other industry... the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by busurfer
I like Sirius/XM but my 2013 RX450h has the poorest reception I have ever seen. I have it in our other vehicles (Yukon, 750Li) and while the BMW fades under the occasional underpass or tunnel, it never fades because I am behind trees or other small obstructions. I have to be in a tunnel for over 20 seconds before the Yukon is impacted and it never fades in areas where the Lexus drops out, even if I have surfboards or SUPs on the roof.

Definitely a design and/or component issue.
Old 08-29-13, 02:43 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dab+

We don't get Sirius here in Oz, and it sounds like we're not missing out on much. However the current RX does come with DAB+ included - I believe this is the same as your American HD radio. Sound quality is excellent, with excellent stereo imaging.

One other thing we have is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation - it's owned by the government so doesn't run any ads. (And just because it's government-owned doesn't mean it follows the party line!) It's a great alternative to commercial radio.
Old 08-30-13, 02:38 PM
linsan
Driver School Candidate

The problem is not with Satellite radio…it is with Lexus and the poor design. My husband's vw can go through the same area with no problem and my radio reception is terrible.
Old 08-30-13, 02:41 PM
linsan
Driver School Candidate

They are just trying to stall you. I was told by the dealer it is a pooly designed radio and it doesn't work the way "we would like it"…i.e. "operating as designed". They put a new antenna on my car….it did not help at all. I am truly not a fan of Lexus anymore and my vehicle is only 3 months old.!!!
Old 08-30-13, 02:44 PM
linsan
Driver School Candidate

Totally a design flaw that Lexus should own up to!
Old 09-01-13, 07:21 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what the heck it is that they changed on the 2013 RX as far as the satellite reception compared to the 2010 RX??? The only interference I get with the satellite reception on my '10 RX is when I go into my garage at work, or just recently when I went up to the mountains for vacation. The vast tree coverage up there would interfere sometimes. But other than that, I get good reception in the '10 RX. I just wish the sound quality was better.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX 350 Sat Radio