ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es350 remote start

Old 08-21-13, 05:17 PM
jeepman123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Es350 remote start

I was told that with remote start I would be able to start the car but when I open the door it would shut off and then it would push start. Is there way around this? I have a 2011 ES 350. My ls gmc yukon and has no problem but it doesn't have this push button. Please help. I want to have a remote installed in my wifes car didn't think it was going to be a problem. If anybody could help I need to know what system would work. The guy that put it in my Gmc yukon can't help me with this problem. He told me that he doesn't know how. Never had a problem like this. If anybody has a remote start that doesn't have the car shut off when opened please let me know the model of the remote start and where it was done. I live in Jersey. Please help
Old 08-23-13, 09:27 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am going to be pulling the trigger and getting a remote start installed. I will probably go with a big box store (ie.Best Buy , yikesss), but at least they are a big company which I can b*tch to if they mess it up. Some of the installers are actually half decent, if you talk to them. I am thinking of tipping the guy before hand, so that he does an extra careful job.

Anyway, all the guys I have talked to said the car has to shut off once you get into the car. I remember seeing a thing on a "Fortin" brand bypass module which said it had the auto key detection (i.e. no need to shutoff the car once inside). But looking at it again I can't see anything.
Old 08-24-13, 08:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepman123
I was told that with remote start I would be able to start the car but when I open the door it would shut off and then it would push start. Is there way around this? I have a 2011 ES 350. My ls gmc yukon and has no problem but it doesn't have this push button. Please help. I want to have a remote installed in my wifes car didn't think it was going to be a problem. If anybody could help I need to know what system would work. The guy that put it in my Gmc yukon can't help me with this problem. He told me that he doesn't know how. Never had a problem like this. If anybody has a remote start that doesn't have the car shut off when opened please let me know the model of the remote start and where it was done. I live in Jersey. Please help
There are numerous aftermarket RS systems that do not shut the engine down when the door is opened as the Lexus RS does. The downside is that you must carry an extra key fob that may or may not perform all functions of the Lexus fob. I bought a Code Alarm unit. Why Lexus designed the RS this way boggles my mind. I have 3 cars with the RS installed and the oldest, an Acura, is 10 years old. I also had an Avalon that was traded for my new Lexus. On the 2013 Lexus ES forum you will see many complaints regarding the range of the remote on the Lexus RS unit as well as the shut down issue. I would recommend you checking with H&R Radio Service. www.HRAutoRadio.com where I had 5 cars done. 1-800-523-6605.

Last edited by bc6152; 08-24-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 01:29 AM
ChristianM
Driver School Candidate

As far as I know, it must shut off when the door is opened. Its called a secure takeover on the vehicle so it knows that the key is in the car, or else anyone can just drive our car away. I had the Compustar 901SS installed with a Blade bypass I believe. I remember reading in the forums somewhere that a few gentlemen had it installed where they had to get in the car and shift it into gear within 10 seconds or it shut down. Another person said that they have to open the door and push the start button twice immediately or it will shut down. Needless to say I am fine with it shutting off when the door opens, my bypass allows for the full use of my factory remote as well so I cant complain. By this I mean if my car is armed with the Compustar and I forgot my compustar remote at home, my car will still function properly when I open the doors and will deactivate the alarm.

Some searching may help you find the thread where the guys posted about their alarms that don't shut off when the door is opened. It was a pretty debated topic since the dealer says it cant be done.
Old 08-31-13, 06:47 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

As soon as the remote start - not the Lexus RS - is activated the doors lock. This prevents anyone from "just driving the car away". One must unlock the doors, insert the key, OR press the start button, press the brake, put the car in gear and go on your way. Again, the downside is that an extra key fob is necessary. IMO both systems leave something to be desired. The Lexus due to its lack of range and the open door shutoff, and the aftermarket where one must carry another remote. Lexus dropped the ball on this and could have done much better IMO.
Old 09-01-13, 04:13 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bc6152
As soon as the remote start - not the Lexus RS - is activated the doors lock. This prevents anyone from "just driving the car away". One must unlock the doors, insert the key, OR press the start button, press the brake, put the car in gear and go on your way. Again, the downside is that an extra key fob is necessary. IMO both systems leave something to be desired. The Lexus due to its lack of range and the open door shutoff, and the aftermarket where one must carry another remote. Lexus dropped the ball on this and could have done much better IMO.
Absolutely Lexus dropped the ball. In this day and age, why can't the RS system start the car in a "remote mode" disabling any movement of the car (I.e. Switched out of gear or otherwise) until the OEM fob has been detected in the interior proximity? Seems pretty feasible to me. Must be a liability thing in my opinion.

I am still searching for a proper install method, and will be hoping to get a remote start installed this month. My concern with the shut off on door open, is for dead of winter where you're battery needs at least 15 minutes to properly recharge :s. Don't want to get stuck anywhere.
Old 09-02-13, 08:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Well maybe with the 2014 models Lexus will see the light and change the RS procedure. Then, perhaps, we can get it installed into our earlier cars. Keep an eye out for any info as I will also do.
Old 09-22-13, 03:58 PM
jeepman123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
They sure as sh---- did
Old 09-23-13, 11:21 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Still looking between 2 brands.
Compustar 2W9000FM-RF http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10215972.aspx
Pros: Great range (apparently and by specs),
Cons: Bulky remote and requires door lock on FOB to be used instead of OEM FOB (not confirmed)

and Viper http://www.viper.com/P-4203V/Viper-R...e-Start-System
Pros: Small, compact
Cons: Lower Range
Old 09-29-13, 05:05 PM
gnm313
Driver

I did mine back in 2007 using the Fortin SL2 key override and a compustar RS. At the time the keyless entry could only be done by sacrificing a fob. I can enter the car and drive away. Car shuts off after 10 seconds if I press on the brake and no fob detected. I am looking at a 2014. I thought this problem had been solved. Getting scared... Can't live without my long distance RS/

http://ifar.ca/en/products/alpha-ser...-override-sl2/
Old 11-25-13, 08:01 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Has anyone found a way to make the car NOT shut off once you open the door? I want it to detect my FOB and then I can drive away, WITHOUT having to restart the car ....

Thanks!
Old 11-26-13, 02:27 AM
MikePA
Rookie

I just had a Compustar, with a Slice remote, installed at Westminster Speed and Sound in Westmister, MD. They said the 'problem' is caused by the Lexus security system and there's no way the remote start module can bypass it.
Old 11-26-13, 08:21 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MikePA
I just had a Compustar, with a Slice remote, installed at Westminster Speed and Sound in Westmister, MD. They said the 'problem' is caused by the Lexus security system and there's no way the remote start module can bypass it.
Hey, that's what I just got recently installed... slick remote and great range.
Yes, that's what they told me also. Same applies for Toyota also.

Really stupid, as the OEM fob still works as you walk up to the vehicle, detects proximity etc. It should know when you are in the car, and when you shift out of park or touch the brake, should shut off if FOB is not detected.
Old 11-27-13, 11:33 AM
mnedescu
Driver School Candidate

Cant the shutdown issue be fixed by this?
http://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/lexus/es_...push-to-start/
Old 11-27-13, 05:31 PM
MikePA
Rookie

Originally Posted by mnedescu
Cant the shutdown issue be fixed by this?
http://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/lexus/es_...push-to-start/
What feature of this product would lead you to believe it could solve the shutdown issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Es350 remote start