LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 02:02 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol

I bought a 1997 ES 300 brand new and kept it for 11 yrs with no problems, before I sold it to a friend.

Dream car has always been to own a LS model.

I got my local dealer in GA to agree to order me a 2014 LS460 F-Sport for $1,000.00 over invoice. I could probably have it by December.

Lexus LS, $81,371 invoice plus $1,000.00 = $82,371 plus tax, tile,tags
Hyundai Equus $62,500 plus tax, tile,tags
$19,129 savings buying Equus

First time I have ever ever been in a Hyundai dealership. I went an test drove a 2014 Hyundai Equus with the Ultimate package. Car has all the bells and whistles and a few more than the LS. I have to say I'm pretty impressed, and I am picky.

Hyundai dealer Sales Manager was very nice. Told me he would sell me the car for $62,500, that's $1,000 under invoice.

Hyundai is inching closer on the tails of Lexus and other European car companies.

I got to decide soon.

2014 Hyundai Equus with Ultimate package.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/gallery.aspx

2014 Hyundai Equuus
429-hp 5.0L V8 GDI engine and rear-wheel drive
8-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
Forward-view cornering camera
Multi-view Camera System
Full 12.3-inch TFT LCD instrument cluster display screen
Heads-up Display (HUD)
Power door closure
Power trunk lid
Power rear side-window sunshades
Cooled rear seats
Rear-seat power up/down head restraints with manual tilt
Rear-seat entertainment system with dual 9.2-inch monitors
Rear-seat illuminated vanity mirrors
Haptic steering wheel remote
Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) with Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with stop/start
Front and Rear Parking Assistance System with rearview camera and Rear Cross-traffic Alert
Navigation system with 9.2-inch LCD screen with DIS Multimedia Controller
Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Surround Sound Audio System with 17 speakers
Three-zone automatic temperature control with Air Quality System (AQS)
Premium leather seating surfaces and microfiber suede headliner
Heated and cooled front seats
Integrated Memory System (IMS) for driver seat, mirror and steering wheel
Electrochromic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass
Power rear sunshade
Valet Service:
Owning an Equus means you may never have to set foot in our service center. Ever. Not for an oil change, not for a tune-up. When it’s time for service, contact us by phone or Blue Link® and we’ll come to you, pick up your car, deliver a Courtesy Replacement Vehicle and return your Equus when it’s ready.

Complimentary Maintenance:
Owning an Equus comes with the confidence that all of the normal scheduled maintenance is complimentary for 3 years or 36,000 miles. This doesn’t just mean oil changes, but all parts and labor included in the Equus Owner’s Manual under scheduled maintenance. And Equus maintenance is easy and painless given the convenience of our valet service that comes to you, picks up your vehicle, delivers alternative transportation and returns your vehicle when the work is done.

Assurance Connected Care Powered By Blue Link:
The Equus is transformed by the safety, convenience and capability of Hyundai Assurance Connected Care. Standard for the first three years of ownership, it offers important benefits including Automatic Collision Notification and Assistance, SOS Emergency Assistance and a suite of features to help make regular maintenance nearly effortless. Blue Link also offers available features that include Remote Vehicle Access, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Point of Interest (POI) Search and much more.

Equus Customer Connect Center:
The Equus Customer Connect Center provides a premium level of service for Equus prospects and owners. Operating seven days a week, this service gives you access to questions about warranty coverage, features and functionality, Authorized Equus Dealer locations or even helps scheduling a personalized demonstration appointment (applicable for period of 3 years/36,000 miles). Seven days a week from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (PST). Prospects/Owners call (877) 378-8727. Sales Champions and Service Advocates call (877) 378-8723.

America’s Best Warranty™*:
For more than a decade, the Hyundai 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty hasn’t just changed how our customers feel about their cars, it’s changed how we build vehicles. To make sure we deliver automobiles worthy of a 10-year warranty, Hyundai initiated the Drive Defects to Zero plan. This program has a dedicated team of Hyundai engineers who are charged with catching, learning about and fixing any issue—no matter how small—before it gets to the customer. America’s Best Warranty does more than give you peace of mind, it’s a commitment from Hyundai to maintain a high degree of quality, dependability and reliability.
Old 08-28-13, 02:23 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be surprise if people here choose the hyundai
Old 08-28-13, 02:29 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Cartune
Would be surprise if people here choose the hyundai
Yeah I know, Don't beat me up too bad. lol

I have always thought that in the Japenese market and against the Europeans, Lexus is at the top for Reliability. Hyundai is giving them a run for their money in the Genisis and Equus line. Hopefully this will make Lexus step up their game to keep their long time Lexus followers around. Like me.
Lexus needs more HP and add new technology as standard without charging for them in the LS. Just saying...

It's tempting to buy a Equus.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 08-28-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-28-13, 02:57 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

(Brand and reputation aside) I'm not gonna lie, the Equus is extremely attractive in person. Everything from the nice LED strip headlights to right down to the rear of the car. The inside does feel a bit cheaper than the LS, but that's not to say that it can't compete.

Of course, in my mind I'm thinking of putting aftermarket air and some 21's or something to make it look the way I want it to. But stock for stock - it's a tough decision when you're looking for something that's "high end" luxury and the difference is $20,000.

The Genesis is also a worthy competitor.
Old 08-28-13, 02:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This thread is a positive for Hyundai.
Old 08-28-13, 03:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i already replied in the other thread
Old 08-28-13, 03:14 PM
14LSSport
Driver

True the Lexus is a little nicer inside. Lexus has the brand name following and its resale value is better. I remember when Lexus was the new kid on the block competing with the luxury American and Europeans before they got their own crowd following.

I think Lexus waited to long to come out with their new styling front look s and updating their cars with more HP and added new technology. It is starting to bite them in the ***.

I am 52 yrs old now and even tho I can swing the extra 20K, that's a lot of money to spend when there is another vehicle close to same quality. I'm just saying.

I'll probably buy the Lexus, but we will see what happens the next time I'm in the market for a new car. Could be different if Lexus dont hurry up.
Old 08-28-13, 03:17 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i already replied in the other thread
Thanks,

I thought it might deserve it's own thread for discussion.
Old 08-28-13, 03:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I say neither. Buying a new car is a terrible decision financially. I would go for a 2012 or 13 with platinum warranty.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-28-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-28-13, 03:47 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I say neither. Buying a new car is a terrible decision financially. I would go for a 2012 or 13 with platinum warranty.
I don't have to have the new look since its riding on the same frame as a 2006 and up. I was thinking of going with a used LS and maybe buy new when the 2015-2016 upgrade is due to happen, but I was told from a Lexus tech that the 11-12 had head problems, but they were fixed on the 13.

If you own a 11-12, you better buy an extended warranty. I guess I could buy one with low miles then buy extended warranty. Lexus Master Tech told me to buy a 13 or 14.
Old 08-28-13, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
Thanks,

I thought it might deserve it's own thread for discussion.
which i completely agree
Old 08-28-13, 04:54 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How did the ride compare?
How about the quiet?
Finally, the seat comfort?

I'm less worried about resale than I am about having something I like for 3 years.
Never even considered a Hyundai until I looked at this thread. Now, I'm curious
Old 08-28-13, 05:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the forward camera and the HUD is the only options on the Equus that appeal to me. that interior does not hold a candle to the Lexus interior, and the exterior comes close but not quite.
Old 08-28-13, 06:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here is an article comparing the two. A few years old but interesting.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Overall, the 460's have not been as reliable as the 400's and 430's. The only major issue with the 460's was the valve spring recall for 07 & 08 models. I think part of the problem with the 460's is the cost of the parts when you are out of warranty. Suspension issues are really expensive. If you have plenty of money and are not really concerned about cost go ahead and buy new. I'm not trying to tell you not to. I have purchased new cars before. None that were 80K but I look back and totally regret not using that money on a beautiful single owner LS. Lesson learned.

If you are going used and want better reliability, a low mileage 2006 430 would be a better choice. Yes they are older and not as modern or powerful but they were also put together better. I personally would not trust the 460's much without a warranty. Too many little things are going wrong with them and they cost an arm and a leg to fix. But you could easily purchase a late model 460 with the extended warranty for under 40k. Lexus offers the Platinum Warranty up to 120k miles. Or even a 600hl with the extended warranty.

Again, just my opinion. I don't plan on ever spending more then 20 - 30k on an investment that is guaranteed to loose money. I would much rather put that extra 40 to 60k at work making me money rather then watching it depreciate 60% in the first 5 years. A new car, on average, looses 11% of it's value the moment it leaves the lot.

Example

Or

Below is an example of depreciation on a $81,000 car.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol-depreciation-on-81k.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-28-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 06:57 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I looked at a A8 and a Genesis, really considered it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol