IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time for new brake pads... stock or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 12:07 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new brake pads... stock or aftermarket?

So the brake pads have been squeaking lately. It only has 26k miles.. isn't this abnormal? (I picked up the car when it had 24,600mi) I don't stomp on the brakes violently. If anything, I'm a gentle driver (for most of the part)

Is it best to stick with stock OEM pads or aftermarket ones? Also, should I get them installed by a trusted mechanic rather than at the dealership? I'm sure Lexus will rip me off for the labor costs..

Am I on the right track? Some good recommendations and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-01-13, 12:26 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Project Mu pads, just like OEM but much much lesser dust. keep it in JDM
Old 08-01-13, 12:44 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Haha! Yeah, I've read about Project Mu somewhere before.
Do you recommend the BESTOP genuine type, since I'm not looking into any crazy performance ones?
Old 08-01-13, 12:46 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That's the one
Old 08-01-13, 03:06 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I actually just did my first brake pads at 26,700mi do I'd say you're right on schedule. My rotors are still plenty thick though. Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly with blitz on this one... I have the Project Mu NS400 pads and couldn't be happier with the performance. OEM stopping feel with less than 50% of the dusting. It's amazing to see how much less brake dust I have, and yet my stops feel just as confident. Check out speedfreeks the CL vendor for the best deals.
Old 08-01-13, 03:35 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I went with Stoptech pads about 100 miles ago - so far they feel just like stock (maybe a little better) and dust about the same too. The big upside is price; about $150 for all 4 corners.
Old 08-01-13, 05:05 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently bought front and rear pads for my F for $48 shipped from rock auto. I don't remember the brand, but they are cheapies for DD. I use EBC yellow stuffs for track days.
Old 08-01-13, 05:27 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

stoptech and carbotech bobcats are great street pads. im running the stop techs right now and for being 1/3 the cost of stock they are the same performance if not better
Old 08-01-13, 08:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm
So the brake pads have been squeaking lately. It only has 26k miles.. isn't this abnormal? (I picked up the car when it had 24,600mi) I don't stomp on the brakes violently. If anything, I'm a gentle driver (for most of the part)

Is it best to stick with stock OEM pads or aftermarket ones? Also, should I get them installed by a trusted mechanic rather than at the dealership? I'm sure Lexus will rip me off for the labor costs..

Am I on the right track? Some good recommendations and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Recommend you look at this thread, start with first page, than go to last page and work forward. There's some great information in there:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

I am extremely happy with my Ferodo DS2500 pads. I got mine from these folks:

http://speed-freaks.net/catalog.html

Members here get a club discount. Use Code CL10.

Lou
Old 08-01-13, 06:53 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

depends on how you drive it and what you're looking for... I searched the forums for the past couple days on various reviews on brake pads on the F forums from replacing it with the stock brembo pads to the hawk pads and many other brands. There were a pair of pads called StopTech street performance pads which F owners compared it to the brembos and couldnt see a difference between them other than the sudden slight bite the brembos have. I compared the prices its $400 for both front and rear Brembo pads online from sewell lexus and only $120 for the Stop Tech pads which also dusted less than the Brembos. I mean theres a handful of other brake pads that are just as good but it all comes down to how often and how hard you drive it or if you track it. Ive been using the F as a daily so i just ordered the Stop Techs today cause my pads also got worn out....hope this helps
Old 08-01-13, 10:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Dust ratings from Speed-Freaks from the link I posted above:

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net

Data so far, ranked based on dusting:

Project Mu Type NS or NS400 = Lowest Dusting Pad, no loss in performance - some fade resistance
Carbotech 1521 = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - but fade if used hard
Performance Friction Z Rated Pads = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - some fade if used hard. (We will need to test these again).
StopTech Street Performance Pads = ~ OEM Dust, better performance than stock, lower fade than OEM
Porterfield R4-S = (Going to Test with a member on the forum for feedback) (to be reviewed by PatrickISF)
Ferodo DS2500 = Less dust than OEM, Better pedal feel, feel stronger than OEM, much less fade than OEM (reviewed by lowrideraz). On this pad, do remember the minimum operating temp for performance is higher than OEM specs, but they would affect only vehicles in extreme cold environments.
Lou
Old 08-14-13, 10:44 AM
ISFnFast
Driver School Candidate

HI All,

Looking for some guidance...
I have a 2008 IS F and am going to my first track event as a beginner at Thunderhill (Northern CA) and looking for opinions on what brake pads and rotors I should get, as I'm due for changing both in the fronts, and for rears, just the pads. ( I only plan on this one weekend for the year and next year maybe one or two events.) Should I just stick with OEM pads (and rotors) for now, until I get better and more experienced on the track? Will the stock parts hold up without fade on the track (My guess is it will given I'm only a beginner, but would like to hear from others who have tracked.)

My Driving Profile...
I use the car as a daily driver to and from work and do autocross all year (been autocrossing for the past 5 years on stock pads and rotors - so far so good on stock). I avg. 10k miles per year only. I don't want to change out pads during track events and just want to drive to the track, run and back on the streets with the same set.

Other info in case in makes a difference...
The car is mostly stock except I've installed the adjustable ball joints in the front to get ~2.8 degrees of negative camber, upgraded the front upper and lower control arm bushings (went to poly from FIGs), and wheels are stock with upgraded tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE11s sizes 245/35/19 front, and 275/30/19 rear.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

ISFnFast

Last edited by ISFnFast; 08-14-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added mods.
Old 08-14-13, 10:58 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I am in the exact situation as you. Been to 2 track days this year so far on stock brake pads and rotors, and did not have an issue with braking at all. Sessions were 15-30 minutes, from ~110mph to 30mph at the heaviest braking point.

For my skill level (beginner - intermediate), stock pads are fine. The bigger issue I have are the tires getting greasy after 10minutes, being the ISF is nearing 4000lbs with driver.

I would say for the ISF, if you can swing it, spend the money on a dedicated track tires instead of the braking system.

Originally Posted by ISFnFast
HI All,

Looking for some guidance...
I have a 2008 IS F and am going to my first track event as a beginner at Thunderhill (Northern CA) and looking for opinions on what brake pads and rotors I should get, as I'm due for changing both in the fronts, and for rears, just the pads. ( I only plan on this one weekend for the year and next year maybe one or two events.) Should I just stick with OEM pads (and rotors) for now, until I get better and more experienced on the track? Will the stock parts hold up without fade on the track (My guess is it will given I'm only a beginner, but would like to hear from others who have tracked.)

My Driving Profile...
I use the car as a daily driver to and from work and do autocross all year (been autocrossing for the past 5 years on stock pads and rotors - so far so good on stock). I avg. 10k miles per year only. I don't want to change out pads during track events and just want to drive to the track, run and back on the streets with the same set.

Other info in case in makes a difference...
The car is mostly stock except I've installed the adjustable ball joints in the front to get ~2.8 degrees of negative camber, upgraded the front upper and lower control arm bushings (went to poly from FIGs), and wheels are stock with upgraded tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE11s sizes 245/35/19 front, and 275/30/19 rear.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

ISFnFast
Old 08-14-13, 11:18 AM
ISFnFast
Driver School Candidate

Thanks itsmike177 for the quick reply.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the RE11s are sufficient for the first time on track, since it's one of the top-rated street legal tires for auto-x and track (In time I'll look to getting another set of wider wheels with more std sizing). This is my 3rd set of RE11s and what I like about them on autocross is that they give me the proper audio feedback when the tires are squealing at the limits, so I don't push them anymore. Hopefully they'll do the same on the track.

BTW...would you or anyone else here on the forum know where to get these OEM parts for the lowest price? (I just posted another new thread asking the same question - so please reply there for lowest price options to keep it in context.) I was referred to Sewell parts in Dallas/FW. Not sure if they are indeed the cheapest.

Thanks again!

ISFnFast

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I am in the exact situation as you. Been to 2 track days this year so far on stock brake pads and rotors, and did not have an issue with braking at all. Sessions were 15-30 minutes, from ~110mph to 30mph at the heaviest braking point.

For my skill level (beginner - intermediate), stock pads are fine. The bigger issue I have are the tires getting greasy after 10minutes, being the ISF is nearing 4000lbs with driver.

I would say for the ISF, if you can swing it, spend the money on a dedicated track tires instead of the braking system.
Old 08-14-13, 06:48 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFnFast
Thanks itsmike177 for the quick reply.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the RE11s are sufficient for the first time on track, since it's one of the top-rated street legal tires for auto-x and track (In time I'll look to getting another set of wider wheels with more std sizing). This is my 3rd set of RE11s and what I like about them on autocross is that they give me the proper audio feedback when the tires are squealing at the limits, so I don't push them anymore. Hopefully they'll do the same on the track.

BTW...would you or anyone else here on the forum know where to get these OEM parts for the lowest price? (I just posted another new thread asking the same question - so please reply there for lowest price options to keep it in context.) I was referred to Sewell parts in Dallas/FW. Not sure if they are indeed the cheapest.

Thanks again!

ISFnFast
RE-11 are great tires for all skill levels, like you mentioned, they give a lot of audible feedback which can be helpful for newer drivers. I have found them to tolerate heat pretty well too so I dont think you will have to worry about managing tire temps until you really start picking up speed.

For pads I would recommend going with Stoptech street performance pads for your intended use. They offer at least the same torque levels as the OEM pads BUT they have a higher maximum operating temperature and are much less expensive than the OEM pads.

-Matt M.

Quick Reply: Time for new brake pads... stock or aftermarket?