GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation - Go Home command and cancelling directions before arriving at Destination

Old 08-05-13, 01:38 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Navigation - Go Home command and cancelling directions before arriving at Destination

When I say "Go Home" it doesn't understand the command but when I say "Go" it replies Go Home. Seems stupid to me that it doesn't understand the command but when you say GO it takes it as Go Home. Has anyone else have this problem or does "Go Home" work for anyone?

Also I thought I saw a post telling how you can cancel the Navigation and turn by turn voice instructions before you arrive at your destination. Does anyone have instructions on this?

I am amazed at how primitive some of the commands are and I can't believe this was tested very well before it was released
Old 08-05-13, 01:45 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Go home works for me every time. I can also say, Take me home and it understands it as Go Home. Deleting a destination is a 3+ step process. Menu -> Destination -> Delete Dest.
Old 08-05-13, 02:08 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praetor
Deleting a destination is a 3+ step process. Menu -> Destination -> Delete Dest.
From the Nav screen go to Route>Delete Dest. Quicker than the Menu way.
Old 08-05-13, 03:33 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Thanks, but I am not talking about deleting the destination, just stopping the Navigation form showing the route or giving turn by turn instructions.

For instance when I say "GO" and it starts the instructions to my home, I don't want to delete my home address but if I decide I don't need or want further instructions for this trip only, how to I stop it from giving directions but keep my home address.

Regarding the Nav instructions in general they seems very primitive in some respects like getting to a specific song from my MP3 player with voice commands, not being able to request a certain station with voice commands, etc.

Even the up and down button on the steering wheel takes getting used to. For the programmed stations you need to press the lower button to scroll thru the presets for the higher groups but when using the MP3 player to get to a higher number song, you need to press the top button.

An another grip is that they don;t have a limited number of presets on the dash so you can get right to stations without scrolling
Old 08-07-13, 11:55 AM
LuxoRocket
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
Thanks, but I am not talking about deleting the destination, just stopping the Navigation form showing the route or giving turn by turn instructions.

For instance when I say "GO" and it starts the instructions to my home, I don't want to delete my home address but if I decide I don't need or want further instructions for this trip only, how to I stop it from giving directions but keep my home address.

Regarding the Nav instructions in general they seems very primitive in some respects like getting to a specific song from my MP3 player with voice commands, not being able to request a certain station with voice commands, etc.

Even the up and down button on the steering wheel takes getting used to. For the programmed stations you need to press the lower button to scroll thru the presets for the higher groups but when using the MP3 player to get to a higher number song, you need to press the top button.

An another grip is that they don;t have a limited number of presets on the dash so you can get right to stations without scrolling
If you say "Go home", the navi sets your target destination as your home and starts providing directions to your home address. If you then click Route>Delete Dest, it stops providing further directions to your current target destination. It does not delete your home address. So if you say "go home" again at a later date/time, it will route you to your home address once again.

I do agree with your comment about the voice command system being clunky and not intuitive.
Old 08-08-13, 09:12 AM
Viren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to route button in the nav window there is a pause guidance button in the overlay screen. If you want to resume repeat the process except it will say resume
Old 08-08-13, 01:47 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I would check a couple of things. First, is your home address programmed to the "Home" button under the Destination menu? Second, make sure "Expanded Voice Commands" are turned on. For some reason, they are turned off by default. You can check under Setup, then Voice. I'm not 100% sure the "Go Home" is affected by that, but it is good to have turned on anyways.
Old 08-11-13, 06:22 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Yes My home Address is in there and I have expanded Voice commands on. When I say "Home" it comes back with you home and gives directions to my house.

Like I said earlier, this whole navigation and voice commands for things like the radio and heating cooling is very basic and not what you would expect from Lexus.

This is our second Lexus (04 LS 430) and while we love both cars, from what we read on this site some other companies nav and voice commands are much better
Old 08-12-13, 04:22 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Command to pause current route is "Cancel Route".
Old 04-21-14, 02:37 PM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

You many not be sufficiently waiting long enough before you make your command, remember that if she hasn't "beeped" then she hasn't engaged the microphone yet. Also remember the microphone for speech and voice commands is just over your head so speak conversational speed, clearly, don't yell and don't whisper.
Old 04-21-14, 08:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Command to pause current route is "Cancel Route".
Thank you. This is the most beneficial post I've seen. "Go Home" does work for me but I've never figured out how to delete the route via the voice commands. I'll try this.
Old 04-22-14, 11:54 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For security reasons, remember not to input your actual home address.

I use the local police departments address.
Old 04-22-14, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I've heard that. Great point.
Old 04-28-14, 10:50 AM
Stroud109
Driver School Candidate

You didn't mention the year of your Lexus. That is important because there is no standardized command for all generations of navigation systems. My 2010 ES needs the command "pause guidance" to pause the route and "delete next destination" to delete the next route. If you have multiple routes in action then in some year models you can use the command "delete all destinations".