IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water Pump Replacement.

Old 08-02-10, 11:32 AM
mmarzluf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Replacement.

Greetings all...

I needed to do a water pump replacement on my 07 IS250 AWD this weekend. I searched here last week for some info but didn't find much.

I decided to do the repair myself. I'm not new to engine work so it didn't bother me.

Anyway.. sorry, I didn't take any pics along the way, but if anyone has any questions about doing this repair, feel free to give me a buzz. Everything went smoothly. The dealer specs note discharging the AC system though, not sure why. There's no need to disturb that system at ALL for the WP replacement. No need to take off the Oil filter sub assembly either as they suguest. I guess they have to vouch for the $720 some how.

Myself? I had about $320 in it and about 4.5 hours labor. That includes a new serpentine belt, toyota long life coolant, an oil change with Mobile 1 full synthetic, and filter. Oh, and peace of mind that nothing got f-ed up and not mentioned. LOL.
Old 08-02-10, 03:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

preventative maintenance, or your water pump failed? how many miles do you have on your car? seems early for the pump to fail unless you have very high mileage.

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-02-10 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
trujtru (06-02-21)
Old 08-02-10, 04:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I guess you drive a lot of miles or your 2007 would still be under warranty. Toyota water pumps are pretty reliable so you must have just been unlucky. Could you see the cause of the failure after you got the old one out?
Old 08-03-10, 05:28 AM
mmarzluf
Driver School Candidate

Seems to have just been an unlucky pump. I just bought the car a month ago. It had 73000 on it when I got it, but wasn't worried about the mileage. ALL service intervals were done through the local Lexus dealership. It has a complete service record and seems to be very well taken care of. The salesman that took it in on trade (at a Toyota dealership) said the previous owner was a commuter and traveled out of town daily. It shows. The drivers seat is the only one that shows ANY wear. The paint is gret EXCEPT the front bumper which is peppered from road debris. The brakes are new, and the exhaust and tires are in great shape. I feel like I got a nice car for $17500.

2-1/2 weeks into owning it, I noticed small drips on the garage floor. The toyota dealership I bought it from agreed to look at it. Course, they first claimed that it was just dry residual left from a previous over fill (BS). I had them check again and and told them I was seeing fresh drips on the floor. That's when they suddenly noticed that it was seeping from the weep hole (bad seal). They offered to pay for 1/2 the cost (that was my waranty). Course, that was doing the repiar at their shop and even though "their" price was the same as the Lexus dealership, they refused to allow me to take it anywahere else. They ordered the pump and were supposed be calling to set up the appointment. Three days later I called to verify my appointment and was told that the replacement had been canceled by the manager who said that if I wasn't going to be happy, then he wasn't going to spend the money" and that the pump wasn't actually part of their 30 day powertrain waranty. Course, you all know that lexus includes the pump in THEIR powertrain waranty up to 70K.

Oh.... And FIRST, the toyota dealership told me to go to the Lexus dealership and ask if they would extend the factory waranty for me and replace it for free.

What a joke. The Toyota place I normally buy from would have NEVER treated me like this, BUT, this other place just happened to have the car on their lot. I'm sure reading this all sounds like I was the ***** that wouldn't play nice but there were a number of other things going on at the same time For instance, the second key fob was still with the previous owner. They told me during delivery "He's bringing it in tomorrow night" all warm and cozy that day. The fob has YET to show up. They also didn't get the Memorandim title to me until the day the 30 day tags expired. All this, and a general "F-you" attitude from the managers has really had me pissed off.

Oh well...... what's done is done. The new pump is on and I know the engine that much more. I'll never visit that dealership again.. lesson learned.
Old 08-03-10, 10:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

have you contact the toyota coroprate office and file a complaint?
Old 08-03-10, 04:02 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

my friends 08 250 water pump went at 45k the dealer took care of it said it was a faulty pump. cause it was making a wierd noise while driving
Old 07-08-13, 05:17 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Got my water pump replaced today my 08 is250 has 54000 miles on it also will be getting the carbon issue done in the next few months when part come in.
Old 07-08-13, 05:44 PM
PumaFiveOh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I guess you drive a lot of miles or your 2007 would still be under warranty. Toyota water pumps are pretty reliable so you must have just been unlucky. Could you see the cause of the failure after you got the old one out?
I would have to disagree, seems like Toyota water pumps (At least the ones they use on the IS's) are complete junk.

Just had mine replaced on my 2009 IS250 by the dealer under warranty. I've never had a car this new have a water pump take a crap so soon.
Old 07-08-13, 08:31 PM
bronakk
Driver School Candidate

Recently replaced my pump also at the dealer. 2008 is250 w/ 50k miles. Thankfully it was covered under warranty.
Old 07-09-13, 11:52 AM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

The water pump on my IS350 was replace @ 27k miles...previously owner. No signs of noises or pink crust from the current one on it. Crossing fingers they got this one right!
Old 07-11-13, 10:11 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Having to replace my water pump on my 07 with 61K miles. Noise and pink crust evident.
Old 07-11-13, 11:15 AM
patbateman
Driver School Candidate

Just had mine crap out at 72k on my 08 IS350. I've been hearing a weird noise but never had a water pump fail so I didn't identify it as a failing water pump noise.

Noise got really loud and my temp gauge pegged so I took it in immediately when that happened and found out what it was.

Wish I went to the dealer to have it looked at earlier since it would have still be covered 2k miles ago
Old 07-11-13, 12:10 PM
maddnotes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my 2008 IS250 with 51K up to the dealer for the 50,000 mile check up and they noticed mine was leaking so they fixed it for me under warranty at no cost.
Old 07-11-13, 02:12 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Water pump failed is a common problem with IS250/350 every 40 thousand mile will probably fail
Old 07-11-13, 02:31 PM
docambriz
Driver School Candidate

I was told two days ago that my water pump ($795) was leaking and had to be changed ASAP but my car has never over heated (stays below middle) or made any noise or leave and drops under my car except when my ac is on.

Last edited by docambriz; 07-11-13 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement.