IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

LFA Inspired Speedometer thoughts

Old 07-07-13, 04:41 AM
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LFA Inspired Speedometer thoughts

I just test drove the IS 350 loved it , iv booked the f sport and i am really concerned about the fact that i cant physically see the kph on screen at all times , instead i will have to look down and keep checking what speed i am going , especially if i am to slow down before a speed radar which happens a lot here in the gcc especially the hidden ones.

Aside from that everything checks out for me , do you think its something you just have to et used to and adapt? they should have at least provided secondary display on the front window.

What are your thoughts if u think its a major concern i am considering downgrading for the sole purpose of having a standard speedometer as strange as it may sound.
Old 07-07-13, 04:59 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

You mean your concern is the lack of a Heads Up Display (HUD)? The digital numeric speed is always indicated on the 8" display so it should just be a minor glance down as with majority of vehicles.

I know HUD is a convenience with my RX but when I drive my CT, I just look a few centimeters lower to get my speed...no biggie. Don't let this sway you away from the IS and if the digital speed readout absolutely bothers you, go for the non-F-Sport with its traditional analogue gauges.
Old 07-07-13, 10:33 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't quite understand the post. The speedometer is digital inside the tach and is easily read after you get used to the gauges. I like to slide my tach over so I can see the radio display on the dash and use the screen for the nav.
Old 07-07-13, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I think the OP is under the impression that the F Sport gauges do not always display the speed depending on the mode...which is not the case.
Old 07-07-13, 04:03 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnyPanx
I just test drove the IS 350 loved it , iv booked the f sport and i am really concerned about the fact that i cant physically see the kph on screen at all times , instead i will have to look down and keep checking what speed i am going , especially if i am to slow down before a speed radar which happens a lot here in the gcc especially the hidden ones.

Aside from that everything checks out for me , do you think its something you just have to et used to and adapt? they should have at least provided secondary display on the front window.

What are your thoughts if u think its a major concern i am considering downgrading for the sole purpose of having a standard speedometer as strange as it may sound.
In Oman you're lucky to have some great features. Like you can get F-Sport with Adaptive Cruise/Pre-Crash as well as remote engine start. In Emirates the dealer is not bringing any of those on the F-Sport and prices are more as usual. Go for the F-Sport and do share some pictures!
Old 07-07-13, 10:22 PM
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback , let me give you an example of what i mean :

. say your driving thorugh a road with a speed limit of 80 kph with a hidden radar that allows you to speed upto 99 without flashing , say im speeding over and above 100kph , the issue with the digital speedometer is tracking the speed while reducing it so you can bring it under the speed limit in time , i dont think that the f sport speedometer is as accurate as the analogue being it digital that is really my only concern.

. basically it is easier for me to track the analogue dial while reducing speed to aoid radar rather than staring at digital numbers going down hoping it changes in time i hope you get my point.

. i gave the dealership my feedback now their concerned im going to change my mind at the last minute and they don't want to give me an f sport to test drive so i wont really know how it works till i actually purchase the vehicle.

I would really appreciate it if someone can post a youtube video detailing the digital speedometer in action.
Old 07-07-13, 10:35 PM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnyPanx
thanks for the feedback , let me give you an example of what i mean :

. say your driving thorugh a road with a speed limit of 80 kph with a hidden radar that allows you to speed upto 99 without flashing , say im speeding over and above 100kph , the issue with the digital speedometer is tracking the speed while reducing it so you can bring it under the speed limit in time , i dont think that the f sport speedometer is as accurate as the analogue being it digital that is really my only concern.

. basically it is easier for me to track the analogue dial while reducing speed to aoid radar rather than staring at digital numbers going down hoping it changes in time i hope you get my point.

. i gave the dealership my feedback now their concerned im going to change my mind at the last minute and they don't want to give me an f sport to test drive so i wont really know how it works till i actually purchase the vehicle.

I would really appreciate it if someone can post a youtube video detailing the digital speedometer in action.
I don't think the problem you describe exists with the F-Sport. The speed display change rate on analogue and digital should be the same perhaps even faster with the digital as its not a rotary movement and can skip the numbers in between.

However bear in mind cars are not designed with people in mind who are looking to break certain traffic laws and how to get away with it.

Just track the car if you really want to speed.

Meanwhile I cannot imagine not getting the F-Sport. Infact the F-Sport speedometer is a big part of the IS purchase decision

Last edited by 03LX470; 07-07-13 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 10:56 PM
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

you have a point , im just going to have to physically test it out before i make a decision .
Old 07-08-13, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bear in mind that the analog speedometer in a modern car is also a digital device nowadays. I think you are way overthinking this...
Old 07-08-13, 02:40 PM
pocky
mooncake master

First world problems. ^_________^
Old 07-08-13, 02:47 PM
John510
Lead Lap

How about you don't speed? Problem solved
Old 07-08-13, 03:03 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

The real trick is to know how fast you're going from your RPM and gear selection. You shouldn't be looking down to figure out your speed, you should know from the sound of the engine and feel of the speed. Once you can do that, you don't need your speedo anyways.
Old 07-08-13, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Bear in mind that the analog speedometer in a modern car is also a digital device nowadays. I think you are way overthinking this...
he is over thinking it because LFA got digital speedo because old school one couldnt follow the engine revving fast.

so this is... faster... not slower.
Old 07-08-13, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't even think about it, but you're right...that is why the LFA has a digital speedo.

Also to that point...Formula 1 cars have digital speedos too.
Old 07-08-13, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

new IS will not 'outrun' digital or analog guages.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LFA Inspired Speedometer thoughts