RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

South Bay area Lexus dealers cheap?!?

Old 06-22-13, 04:57 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default South Bay area Lexus dealers cheap?!?

I moved out here to the Bay area a few weeks ago. Due to the giant speed mountains people put in different parking lots and apartment complexes, I have noticed an increase amount of squeeks from the rear suspension. Since my warranty is going to run out in a few weeks, I figure it is time to bring it into the dealer along with other problems (they said they might be able to update my NAV for $169). When I tried to schedule appointments in the dealerships around here, I found that none of them offer loaner cars. I have to drive 30 minutes outside of the city before I can find a dealership that would offer a loaner. I thought the whole point of buying an overpriced Toyota is to get things such as loaner cars. What the hell is going on. Are dealerships in big cities really that cocky?

Also the prices they charge are outrageous too. The first dealer wanted $400 to upgrade the NAV.
Old 06-22-13, 07:01 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
I moved out here to the Bay area a few weeks ago. Due to the giant speed mountains people put in different parking lots and apartment complexes, I have noticed an increase amount of squeeks from the rear suspension. Since my warranty is going to run out in a few weeks, I figure it is time to bring it into the dealer along with other problems (they said they might be able to update my NAV for $169). When I tried to schedule appointments in the dealerships around here, I found that none of them offer loaner cars. I have to drive 30 minutes outside of the city before I can find a dealership that would offer a loaner. I thought the whole point of buying an overpriced Toyota is to get things such as loaner cars. What the hell is going on. Are dealerships in big cities really that cocky?

Also the prices they charge are outrageous too. The first dealer wanted $400 to upgrade the NAV.
My understanding is you need have min 2 or 3 hours service to get a loaner. The NAV update should be pretty quick, why don you just wait for it?
Old 06-22-13, 07:18 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, Welcome to the West Coast. I'll let folks in NorCal hopefully give you more specific feedback on dealers in the SanFran area.

This topic of loaners though was covered in the last few months here. Net is, Lexus Warranty (in writing) provides a loaner for something that that causes your truck to be in for service over a day. If its less than that, or not under warranty, it is completely at the discretion of each dealer. My personal experience has been I can generally get a loaner if scheduled in advance warranty or not -- but if its a short time, say under a couple hours, I just wait and never ask for the loaner as my turnaround time would be greater. My dealers though in SoCal, Phoenix and Atlanta areas over the years may have been a whole lot better in that regard than what you are finding in the Bay Area. Others here have given examples where the dealers were not as kind as the ones I've done business with ... Across the US and Canada as I seem to remember.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-13, 01:51 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I guess each dealer can do whatever they want. As a customer, I guess I just have to choose wisely and weed out these cheap dealership. Part of the reason why I bought an overpriced Toyota is for the loaner car. If it takes a day before I get one, I might as well go back to Toyota.
Old 06-23-13, 01:00 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't take a day long service to get a loaner. You might want to call around, I live in the SF Bay Area and get offered loaners. I take my RX to Pleasanton Lexus because I live in Pleasanton, but over the years have used many others.

Prices can get high in the Bay Area ... depending on the service, sometimes it is cheaper to call out of the area. I saved almost $400 driving 45 minutes to Modesto for one major service at Lexus of Modesto a few years ago. Same nice dealership, loaner and qualified staff. I have saved big dollars getting my kids two Lexus vehicles serviced at an independent garage in the area.

Last edited by UCSB; 06-23-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 01:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess each dealer can do whatever they want. As a customer, I guess I just have to choose wisely and weed out these cheap dealership. Part of the reason why I bought an overpriced Toyota is for the loaner car. If it takes a day before I get one, I might as well go back to Toyota.
If one of the main reasons you bought a Lexus is for a free loaner you should have indeed stayed with Toyota and just rented a vehicle when you had to take it in for service, it would have been far cheaper than buying a Lexus. Most owners find the Lexus is more luxurious than a Toyota with more features, but if you can't tell the difference you have wasted your money.
Old 06-23-13, 04:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Frank, that was very well said IMHO.
Originally Posted by Evitzee
If one of the main reasons you bought a Lexus is for a free loaner you should have indeed stayed with Toyota and just rented a vehicle when you had to take it in for service, it would have been far cheaper than buying a Lexus. Most owners find the Lexus is more luxurious than a Toyota with more features, but if you can't tell the difference you have wasted your money.
Old 06-24-13, 12:45 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I never said it was the main reason, but it was definitely one of the reason. Some of the features are nice, but it better have a lot to make up the 10-20K price difference

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Old 06-25-13, 11:14 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my car serviced at Lexus of Pleasanton as well. I bought from them in 2009, and they've been the primary mechanics for my RX. I've never had a problem getting a loaner, since I have a long commute into Berkeley.

I drop off the car before 9 am, and pick up my car before 6. They do charge $15, but since I'm driving 60+ miles RT, I figure that's about the cost of gas.

I had no luck with "service" from Coliseum Lexus in Oakland. YMMV.

Sandi
Old 06-26-13, 12:09 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I am in Cupertino now. I drove 18 miles to Redwood City, they gave me a 2013 RX350 to drive, no questions asked. The car was in for some squeaking/rattles/full detail. I asked about doing the GPS upgrade, they told me it isnt really worth it. So I skipped on it and spent the money on a full detail as the carpet on my car is turning black.

Pleasonton and other dealers in the area didn't have loaner car as an option on their website. I called for my appointment on Saturday at Putnam, I got it today no questions asked. I love it. That's real service. I just hope they don't disappoint me by saying my rear suspension squeaking is normal.

(I am sure they have loaner cars, but I sure as hell don't want to take a shuttle back to home/work and then have to go back to the dealership at night to pick up an alternate vehicle if the repair is more than a day)
Old 06-26-13, 11:26 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father's been going to Putnam for the last 17 years, first with his ES300 and now with his LS430. He swears by their service. Loaners were never a problem and his service adviser has given him some pretty good deals on major services due to him being a good long time customer. He had it detailed recently and they did a great job.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-27-13, 12:38 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I went back today as they couldn't replicate the rattle I had. I took the tech around and we were able to redo the noise. They got on it quickly and will look to repair it while I drive the gas hog rx350 around. At Nissan, they would have told me the rattles are normal and send me on my way
Old 07-02-13, 06:24 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pleasonton and other dealers in the area didn't have loaner car as an option on their website.
Yes, they do - you must have missed it.

When you log on to the service section of the site, it specifically asks if you plan to wait, or get a loaner. (I just scheduled my 90K service appointment yesterday).
Old 07-02-13, 07:23 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really own a Lexus? I never heard Lexus owners refer to their car as an "overpriced Toyota" sarcastically. Most of the time I hear this expression from bitter people who couldn't afford a Lexus and trolls. lol
Old 07-03-13, 12:40 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

No, I own a modified Toyota Venza.