RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 Key Stuck, and wont turn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 06:31 PM
olegd88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX330 Key Stuck, and wont turn?

Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase an 04-05 RX and went to check one out. The previous owner was testing the spare keys he has and put in the valet key (the one that comes with a credit card type holder) in the ignition.

The key is now stuck in the ignition, it will not turn. It is stuck in the Lock position, however from the looks of it is not fully seated in. Can't be pushed in, or out. Tried to force it in with some relatively light hits on the key, but nothing.

The car looks good, and I am willing to purchase it, but this is a major issue. I couldn't even test drive it.

The owner plans to take it to the dealer, but I would consider purchasing it as is at a discount and dealing with this issue myself.

Can anyone recommend anything here? I have read here about the issue of the ignition lock, however from what I understood most people have the issue where the key wont turn, however it can still be taken in and out.

(It is the right key he used for the car.)

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-22-13, 07:58 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The credit card spare key is an emergency type key not a valet key. It doesn't have a built in chip to allow the car to start. You must follow the instructions on the credit card type holder exactly.

1. Insert flat key into the ignition switch.
2. Within 10 seconds put card closer to the ignition switch as indicated by the arrow head.
3. After the the security indicator stops flashing turn the key to the START position.

These instructions are also in the owner's manual.
Old 06-23-13, 06:52 AM
olegd88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems he got it out. Although I have tried putting the card close to the ignition.

The issue was that the key looked like it wasn't seated fully and simply got physically stuck in the cylinder.

I have read some issues with the key cylinder, is this a symptom? Can anyone comment?
Old 05-18-22, 08:07 AM
jayboydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My key gets stuck and I am not able to turn counterclockwise to LOCK. Sometimes when I am struggling, when the key suddenly will turn, I had pressed the key deep into the keyhole. Today,. It turned after I turned it to run (past accessory, but not starting the engine) then put the selector shift into drive for a couple seconds and put back to park. A mechanic brought the topic of key cylinder gets stuck in Lexus to which I responded yes, it happens to me. He did not say what is done to fix the problem but the focus is the 'key cylinder' which is removed then repaired or replaced. I don't want to be forced to use a new key for a new cylinder! Maybe a new cylinder can be mated with existing key.
Old 05-18-22, 09:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboydog
My key gets stuck and I am not able to turn counterclockwise to LOCK. Sometimes when I am struggling, when the key suddenly will turn, I had pressed the key deep into the keyhole. Today,. It turned after I turned it to run (past accessory, but not starting the engine) then put the selector shift into drive for a couple seconds and put back to park. A mechanic brought the topic of key cylinder gets stuck in Lexus to which I responded yes, it happens to me. He did not say what is done to fix the problem but the focus is the 'key cylinder' which is removed then repaired or replaced. I don't want to be forced to use a new key for a new cylinder! Maybe a new cylinder can be mated with existing key.
I see what you're saying since replacing the ignition means a new key that won't work in the doors anymore and that kinda sucks lol

It won't affect your immobilizer so that's the good news because immo is done with the chip in the key thru the key amplifier- as long as same key chip is used.