Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 12:07 AM
crzyis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter

Any one have it?

Thoughts on what it would cost to have dealer install it?

Sewell has it listed for 286 which isnt a bad deal at all.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5391.html
Old 04-03-12, 06:20 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crzyis
Any one have it?

I have remote start on mine and have not been able to use it that much yet. I just tested it out a couple of times since I took delivery. I think it will be nice for these hot Texas summers to cool down the car before you enter. You can have your AC set on low and the heat blowers set in the on position so that everything can cool down as fast as possible before entering the cabin. The engine will shut down once you go to open the doors to get in. Lexus designed it that way so that no one can run up to your car and jack it while it is still running. Not too sure how much the dealer will charge for installing one. I need to look at my sticker to see how much it was.

Last edited by Room4Tu; 04-03-12 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 06:58 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
The engine will shut down once you go to open the doors to get in. Lexus designed it that way so that no one can run up to your car and jack it while it is still running.
Instead of shutting it down, they could have checked to see if the person trying to open the door has the smart key. If they don't, shut it down. But if they do, don't shut it down, and leave the engine running.
Old 04-03-12, 07:24 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On most remote starters that I have seen. If the key is NOT present, when you hit the brake to shift from park to drive, the engine will shut off. It's pretty standard.

I wonder too how much it will cost to install. My local Lexus dealer charges $70 an hour....
Old 04-03-12, 11:41 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

lexus also installs an aftermarket RS that keeps the doors locked until you open it and the engine is still running as you open the door. if you touch anything in the car the engine shuts off. so you have to do the traditional foot on brake / push button. it was expensive , i had it intalled on 2 previous ESs'. DK how much for installation.
Old 05-08-12, 06:33 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

I have remote start on mine and have not been able to use it that much yet. I just tested it out a couple of times since I took delivery. I think it will be nice for these hot Texas summers to cool down the car before you enter. You can have your AC set on low and the heat blowers set in the on position so that everything can cool down as fast as possible before entering the cabin. The engine will shut down once you go to open the doors to get in. Lexus designed it that way so that no one can run up to your car and jack it while it is still running. Not too sure how much the dealer will charge for installing one. I need to look at my sticker to see how much it was.
So...you're saying regardless if you have the smart key with you or not when you touch the door handle it shuts off? That's total crap! Should stay running if you have the key with you.
Old 05-08-12, 06:42 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
So...you're saying regardless if you have the smart key with you or not when you touch the door handle it shuts off? That's total crap! Should stay running if you have the key with you.
Yep, it shuts down completely even with the key fob in your pocket. I'm sure there is a way to bypass this. Maybe the dealer can reprogram it some how but still a little early in the game I guess. If some one figures it out let me know.
Old 05-08-12, 07:15 AM
MY13GS350
Rookie

I wish there was a better way to validate the user once you enter the car to bypass the engine turning off, only for you to have to restart it.

This was the main reason I didn't purchase this option on the last 3 cars I have had.

Before that I had a diesel truck and I would just lock and leave running when I would go into a store or fuel up or go into a restaurant when it was 80s + out. But those don't seem to mind being left to idle like a gas engine does.
Old 05-08-12, 08:52 AM
friscolaw
Driver School Candidate

I have it on my 13 GS. Distance on it is pretty good, but yes, it turns off when you open the car. Pretty dumb because the key should still be the security on it. According to my dealer this isnt an option you can turn off.
Old 05-08-12, 09:02 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by friscolaw
I have it on my 13 GS. Distance on it is pretty good, but yes, it turns off when you open the car. Pretty dumb because the key should still be the security on it. According to my dealer this isnt an option you can turn off.
That really sucks! I was going to get RS, but now I think I will pass.
Old 05-08-12, 10:31 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Default I changed my mind.

This was a very informative thread. I was considering purchasing this upgrade, but did not know about the engine shut off when openning the door even with the smart key in your position. That totally defeats the purpose of the remote starter. Sewell sell the remote starters for around $350. I hope Lexus reprograms the operations of the Remote Starter to let the engine to continue operating when openning the doors with the smart key in your position.
Old 05-09-12, 12:13 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crzyis
Any one have it?

I would skip it since it not worth the trouble. I look at the installation instruction and look like Lexus dealer would charge you $200-300 for labor. The install involve to remove lots of dash panel cover, do you really want it now?

Also same for glass break sensor and illuminated door sill. I wonder why Lexus wont make the install process more simple like plug and play?
Old 06-08-13, 07:01 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

If you get this option, will you get a replacement or separate fob? I don't mind the engine shutting off I need the AC on to help cool the seat down. It's been getting hot. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to get home but the back of my seat doesn't seem to get any less warm. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the perforated seats but I don't feel this on the RX or previous vehicle. And the fan is working too or at least I hear the fan noise back there.
Old 06-08-13, 07:19 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

i was going to get this when I got my car in April. They wanted $500, installed. then I read about Res+ and decided Res+ is better. it may be a long wait, but I'd much rather have Res+. I believe they're charging around $1,500 for that, however, on the model it's available for.

Last edited by larryinWA; 06-08-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:33 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

did anyone install an aftermarket option?

Quick Reply: Remote Starter