Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Is the 2013 Lexus ES300H the car for you?

Old 06-07-13, 05:27 AM
cubbie88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2013 Lexus ES300H the car for you?

Hello this is my first post and I've had my Starfire Pearl 300H long enough to give some advice and help those that are on the fence.

Gas Mileage is best when driving stop and go for medium to long ranges expect 39-44mpg. The car has it's worst mileage when driving on short to medium trips on the highway 33-36mpg. Eco mode is useless unless you want to create traffic. The throttle response and air conditioning is crippled and not worth it. Normal mode is the best. Sport mode makes the engine rev higher and the steering wheel tighter. Sport mode also forces the ev mode alot more when not accelerating.

The interior is plush and padded everywhere it needs to be. I don't like lexus headliners but thats a personal preference. The nuluxe is comfortable but mine got wrinkled within the first 200 miles. Get the navigation for the higher resolution display and a nice stitched hand rest on top of all the other features that comes with it. I have a non navi and the **** it has is cheap and the rubber hand rest is almost non existent. The rear seating for 6 footers is hit or miss. The headliner is shaped oddly where you hit it with your head by bobbing forwards. The fold down rear cup holders push into your knees. There is a odd knee divider behind the front seats that hits your knees getting into the car.

The exterior is modern but I fear the front of the car is too squarish and will not age well. The headlight bulbs and some of the tailight bulbs are reach in and twist off no bumpers need to come off. Changing the oil should be simple as well because of the 2.5 engine witch reminds me of my old camry. Get the parking assist because the car is pretty long. It's easy to maneuver because of the good turning radius for the car size.

The brakes take time to get used to because they aren't as strong because of the regenerative braking. The transmission also needs some getting used to because it doesn't shift. The suspension can be soft and firm but the inside is quiet. The engine is whiny when pushed and the transition from electric to gas is noticeable at low speeds. Car sounds like a spaceship sometimes when coasting. The handing is not the best the 0-60 is respectable. The Michelin tires don't grip very well either.

I recommend the car for the older crowd because this is not anywhere near my old is250 in performance or handling. Good car for what it was designed for but a little harsher (especially with the horrible chicago streets) than the old model witch was floaty.

Last edited by cubbie88; 06-07-13 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 04:01 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write-up.
Old 06-07-13, 09:00 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write-up... you pretty much nailed it. I wouldn't disagree with any particular point.