RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX350 and Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 11:07 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 RX350 and Road Noise

Ok, had my 2012 RX350 now for over a year and like it a lot.........BUT.

There's seems to be a lot "road noise" that's transmitted back into the cabin, like driving over expansion joints on blacktop or rough road surface, is this normal?

I drove a 2000 RX300 for 100,000 miles and don't remember it being this noisy.

Interior noise is great and quiet.

I think this was talked about on this forum before, and someone mention different tires would help this problem?

Is there that big of difference in tires from one brand to another, and if so, why wouldn't Lexus address this problem on a $45,000 + vehicle?

Opinions Please.

Cheers!
Old 05-13-13, 02:08 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what tyres are you running? Dunlops seem to be rather noisy. A lot of people are on michelins but im not a fan of them. I like the Pirelli scorpion verde, theyre very good.
Old 05-13-13, 02:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Tires play a big role in road noise. Two main factors are tread compound, design and wear. So look at brand/model of tire and check it to Tirerack. Secondly, look at how worn they are since even teh quiet tires get slowly louder over time giving you the impression there's a problem with the car.

The other thing is to confirm your windows are laminated. As a 2012, you should have it, but just in case... It should say on the lower corner of the driver's window or roll it down and look at the top cross-section of the glass and notice if you see three layers stuck together
Old 05-13-13, 03:07 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
what tyres are you running? Dunlops seem to be rather noisy. A lot of people are on michelins but im not a fan of them. I like the Pirelli scorpion verde, theyre very good.
I have Bridgestone's on now that came installed from the factory and will little over 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

The other thing is to confirm your windows are laminated. As a 2012, you should have it, but just in case... It should say on the lower corner of the driver's window or roll it down and look at the top cross-section of the glass and notice if you see three layers stuck together
Yes I have laminated windows, but it feels like the road noise is coming from the bottom up........

I would just like to know if different tires would make a big difference and why enough to justify the cost to replace before their time just to get a quiet ride.
Old 05-13-13, 05:09 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If I had Brigestones with just 10,000 miles on an RX 3rd GEN I'd bite the bullet and get some Michelin's and be done with it. Yes, your car will have less 'road' noise. Call your local COSTCO and get their price then call your local dealer. They'll likely match it and maybe a few xtra dollars to boot. Then you'll have in the neighborhood of 40K miles of quite sure footed driving.
Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I have Bridgestone's on now that came installed from the factory and will little over 10,000 miles.

Yes I have laminated windows, but it feels like the road noise is coming from the bottom up........

I would just like to know if different tires would make a big difference and why enough to justify the cost to replace before their time just to get a quiet ride.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-13-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 06:03 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG. Is Bridgestone really that bad too?
I thought only Dunlop is bad.
We just picked up our 450h over the weekend... and it has Bridgestone.... >_<
Old 05-13-13, 06:11 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If I had Brigestones with just 10,000 miles on an RX 3rd GEN I'd bite the bullet and get some Michelin's and be done with it. Yes, your car will have less 'road' noise. Call your local COSTCO and get their price then call your local dealer. They'll likely match it and maybe a few xtra dollars to boot. Then you'll have in the neighborhood of 40K miles of quite sure footed driving.
Thanks, Good advice, now I have to think about this.

We do belong to Costco and Sam's Club.

Maybe I could even talk them into replacing the nitrogen in my tires................
Old 05-13-13, 06:36 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlin
OMG. Is Bridgestone really that bad too?
I thought only Dunlop is bad.
We just picked up our 450h over the weekend... and it has Bridgestone.... >_<
No, Bridgestones are not THAT bad. I've had them on my 2013 since I took delivery last June.

I was happy Lexus finally figured out the Dunlops were problematic and slowed delivery of vehicles with them, or at least I didn't get them in my first off the line 2013 RX450h. Dunlops ARE loud. I would have found them to be unacceptable for sure. Would I rather have Michelins? Yes. I have a multi-year and multi-car positive history with them. Do you always get a choice of tires when you buy a new car? No. Is it a bit of the luck of the draw for the dealer as to what any mfgr (including Lexus) delivers to them on the vehicle? Absolutely yes. Could you negotiate your deal to have a specific type of tire... AND at the same out-the-door price point? Perhaps.

For me, my Bridgestones are not awful and I will let them wear until I have some sort of major blowout or regular wear that forces me to replace another tire or two. ..then, Michelin or Perelli, here I come for all 4. For other owners, perhaps the road noise is a big deal in their 3rd gen. We all have things that personally annoy us the most. Do I believe my 3rd gen is noisier than my 2nd gen was? Yes. Do I consider it a big deal, or a deal breaker, or something I even complain about in my top 10 gripe list about my 2013 over my 2006? No.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about your decision to purchase your new RX. Don't let threads like this with a bunch of us that have owned Lexus for many years, that have many opinions as to what perfection may be for us, taint the excitement of your decision to buy your new RX. CONGRATULATIONS on your new ride, and enjoy one of the arguably best rides in the market today! I sure do every day. I spent 5 hours this morning out stripping my sealant, buffing out a few blemishes, and tomorrow morning is "3 layers of Zaino day" on my favorite toy. Enjoy yours as much as I do every day.
Old 05-13-13, 07:11 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

I too have the oem Bridgestones and when it becomes time to replace them I have decided on the BridgestoneDueler H/L 422 Ecopia which I understand is quieter than the Michelin's.
Old 05-14-13, 02:03 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

What's the deal with tires today?

Why should one brand be quieter then another?
I really think on a $45.000 luxury suv tires shouldn't be a issue especially when Lexus is known
for quiet.

Years ago tires were tires, of course they didn't last long.
Old 05-14-13, 09:28 PM
ecr72
Driver

Originally Posted by VVRX
I too have the oem Bridgestones and when it becomes time to replace them I have decided on the BridgestoneDueler H/L 422 Ecopia which I understand is quieter than the Michelin's.
Where did you get this information?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-15-13, 02:48 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I fancy putting on some pirelli pzero tyres. See how this beast goes round corners then!
Old 05-15-13, 08:24 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

[QUOTE=ecr72;7938650]Where did you get this information?

This information can be found at TireRack.com