Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear Philippines: Review - Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8L 4x4 LTZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 11:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Gear Philippines: Review - Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8L 4x4 LTZ

A short review of the Chevrolet Trailblazer Diesel by Top Gear PH

Review: Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8L 4x4 LTZ

By Niky Tamayo — 09 May 2013

In recent years, to meet changing US-market demands, Chevrolet dropped the likable Trailblazer SUV from its US lineup and replaced it with an all-new crossover called the Traverse. Unfortunately for Chevy, while buyers wanted crossover economy, they still wanted the SUV look, which means they all went out and bought front-wheel-drive faux-SUV Ford Explorers instead.

Luckily, the Chevrolet Trailblazer still lives, as a Colorado-based truck designed in Brazil, built in Thailand and powered by a European diesel. But how far removed is this multinational pastiche from the old Trailblazer? And can something so global in reach be truly American?

STYLING

Chevrolet's new styling perhaps looks best on the Trailblazer. The aggressive multi-piece grille and tall hood-line make for an imposing presence, and the rising beltline and muscular haunches lend the vehicle a handsome dynamism. Out back, the lines of the sculpted tailgate draw the eyes down to the grab-handle. Nice touch, that.

The new face might not be as memorable as the split-level headlamps and grille on the old Trailblazer, but the overall design has a more modern, more global appeal. The thick-spoked rims, on the other hand, present a uniquely American aesthetic, and suit the truck well.

INTERIOR

At a glance, the interior looks fantastic, with chunky shapes and curves everywhere. I particularly like the Camaro-inspired instrument cluster and the circular-themed climate control, with its easy-to-read digital screen.

Plastic surfaces leave something to be desired. The door panels and glovebox lid are of hard and dull plastics. Seating space and comfort easily trump the Fortuner-Montero Sport duo, although the narrow rear doors make ingress and egress to the rear seats clumsy. The third row is spacious, but doesn't fold into the floor completely, making the otherwise large cargo bay a little less useful for carrying large items.

ENGINE PERFORMANCE

While the 2.5 is merely average, the 2.8 is the new King of the Hill. It's got more punch than the Mitsubishi Montero Sport, with a smoother, more balanced power delivery. You won't mistake it for anything but a diesel, however. The coarse gurgling drowns out easy-listening music under acceleration.

The slick six-speed automatic is responsive in both auto and manual modes, and the long sixth gear makes for a relaxing 1,700rpm at 100kph. Mixed economy is commendable for the weight and power, at around 8-12km/L, but hot summer traffic sees that figure drop considerably.

RIDE AND HANDLING

While noticeably wider than Japanese trucks, the Trailblazer is narrow enough to feel handy in traffic, with surprisingly good forward visibility. It has a well-controlled primary ride, but things can get a bit choppy in the back seat as single-wheel bumps tend to cause some axle shimmy.

The big Chevy is better sorted than most competitors, with balanced handling, modest body roll and strong brakes. While handling is competent, the heavy electric steering, the thick insulation and the view over that wide hood make it feel very big and very American.

EXTRA FEATURES

While the base model gets the Colorado's capable underpinnings and 800mm wading depth, the 4x4 gets so much more. Here, you have a low-range transfer case, a full suite of electronic stability systems, luscious leather, a power driver's seat, chrome bits, backing-up sensors, and a pretty good stereo. Add P85,000, and you're upgraded to a touchscreen navigation system with an integrated parking camera and headrest monitors.

Despite the price premium, customers seem to be flocking toward the 4x4 model. Unless they drop the price of the 4x2 or give it an automatic transmission, I doubt that will change.

THE VERDICT

The Trailblazer is arguably the best 4x4 midsize SUV by far--for now. What's more, it maintains that quintessentially American spirit, something the other "American" here, the Ford Everest, has always lacked. All that's missing is an automatic 4x2 model to take the fight to the sales leaders (Toyota and Mitsubishi).

The Trailblazer is a worthy heir to the name, and whether it goes Stateside or not, it takes the ASEAN SUV segment to the next level. Ford will have to work overtime on the new T6-based Everest to beat this.

SPECS: CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 2.8L 4x4 AT

Engine: 2.8-liter direct-injection VGT diesel

Transmission: 6-speed automatic

Power: 177hp @ 3,800rpm

Torque: 470Nm @ 2,000rpm

Drive layout: 4WD

Seating: 7

Price: P1,718,888

Score: 18/20

Photos by Ken Tamayo
Old 05-10-13, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Much much much better than the Trailblazer we had in the States
Old 05-10-13, 03:48 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is supposed to compete with the Toyota Fortuner and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (sold overseas)
Old 05-10-13, 05:54 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Much much much better than the Trailblazer we had in the States
I disagree, but I bet it gets better than 14mpg's on premium I was getting.

Old 05-10-13, 06:01 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Mike728
I disagree, but I bet it gets better than 14mpg's on premium I was getting.

Well you're entitled to your opinion and the 6.0L V8 SS was a hoot, but quality was terrible especially in the cabin. My 2003 Explorer though no Lexus has significantly better materials, fit and finish than that generation of Trailblazer
Old 05-10-13, 06:08 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
My 2003 Explorer though no Lexus has significantly better materials, fit and finish than that generation of Trailblazer
Yeah, I didn't buy it for the interior.
Old 05-10-13, 06:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yeah, I didn't buy it for the interior.
Fair enough
Old 05-12-13, 12:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
This is supposed to compete with the Toyota Fortuner and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (sold overseas)
Yup, it's meant to compete against these kinds of vehicles: