Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Moog Ball Joints vs. OEM Ball Joints

Old 04-15-13, 11:45 AM
vlogs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moog Ball Joints vs. OEM Ball Joints

Like stated on title, which ball joint is better to use? I have a set of Moog ball joints brand new laying around the house and I'm wondering which ones you CL GS owners prefer. What's the difference between the Moog one and the OEM one? I'm getting ready to change out my ball joints. I'm at 97,Xxx miles right now. I don't know if I should stick with the Moog ones or the OEM ones. Opinions are highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-15-13, 12:17 PM
youngs3oo
Driver

A lot of members here will probably say Moog. But you gotta grease them yourselves. They do look and feel a lot thicker than the oem lbjs too.
Old 04-15-13, 01:55 PM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

I recently fitted genuine balljoints but in hindsight I would prefer to have fitted the MOOGs as they have grease nipples and are made by 555 in japan. Lexus designed the ball joint with it mounted upside down. It seems obvious that the grease will slowly but surely work its way out by just running down hill. Being able to periodically re-grease these will probably make them last forever.
Old 04-15-13, 02:03 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat a week ago and did a lot of research and reading. From what I read moog products have been going down hill for a while now. I ended up going with the oem ones. The original ones lasted almost 100k miles so they're obviously built good. I just changed mine at 96k, they weren't that bad. Coulda got some more miles outta them but didn't want to take the chance.
Old 04-15-13, 02:03 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Im running moogs for a few months and so far so good, but damn do these rust up quick. I would recommend coating them with something to prevent rust
Old 04-15-13, 02:05 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been on OEM for two years now. The original lasted up to 110k until they started creaking. That's when I replaced them
Old 04-15-13, 02:26 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

like lexusfam said moog going down hill most parts is made in india or usa(even usa made part are horrible quality) and not japan
from my last order only ball joints and inner tie rods were made in japan by 555, and it took me few trips to advance auto parts to find outer tie rods that are made by 555 and are from japan (i will post picture later of usa made tie rod quality)
Old 04-15-13, 02:28 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

as for ball joints as far as its made in japan by 555 i would use it over oem
Old 04-15-13, 02:40 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Moog triple 5 Japan all day, and who said their going down hill? What proof do u have that a reputable company like Moog is fantastic one day then the next their going down hill? Come on now, its just your personal gripes...
Old 04-15-13, 03:03 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Moog Balljoint look like it's on Steriods compared to Oem. Being able to greese them is a bonus. Yeah they do generate some surface rust after a few months.
Old 04-15-13, 04:13 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

not all moog parts are 555, and not all are made in japan
like i said i would use 555 over oem parts
Old 04-15-13, 04:50 PM
vlogs300
Driver

Thanks for your opinions guys. When I change the ball joints do I have to change the tie rods as well? I called a mechanic earlier and he said along with installing the ball joints, I should get a lock ring for the aftermarket ball joints and an arm. He didn't specify what kind of arm I needed though. I have no clue what arm he is talking about...
Old 04-15-13, 05:45 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vlogs300
Thanks for your opinions guys. When I change the ball joints do I have to change the tie rods as well? I called a mechanic earlier and he said along with installing the ball joints, I should get a lock ring for the aftermarket ball joints and an arm. He didn't specify what kind of arm I needed though. I have no clue what arm he is talking about...
Any competent mechanic should be able to source missing parts. You shouldn't have to be a mechanical genius to get your car serviced.
So perhaps you can call him up and just give him approval to order any recommended parts for you, prior to your showing up
Old 04-15-13, 06:53 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vlogs300
i guess you decided not to search this topic at all huh? Everything you asked has been answered. Just so I can be productive in your thread, yes good with Moog vs. (yuck) Oem lbj's. yes change the outer tie rods at the same time because you HAVE to take them off to replace lbj's. yes go to rockauto and get your moog lbj's and outer tie rods for the same price of Oem lbj's. yes google rockauto to find a 5% off discount off your order. Yes I call BS to the member above that said moog quality is going down. Provide proof, links to back up claim. I would like to read it.
Old 04-15-13, 06:55 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

i did change my ball joints from oem to moog and no any other extra parts was needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moog Ball Joints vs. OEM Ball Joints