Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus To Launch New Global Marketing Campaign

Old 03-12-13, 02:12 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation Lexus To Launch New Global Marketing Campaign

From LeftLane News:
Lexus will soon launch the brand's first ever global marketing campaign in an effort to better take on its German rivals.

Starting this May, Lexus will launch a new global marketing campaign designed to lure in shoppers that haven't considered the brand before. The ad campaign may carry varying tag lines in different markets, but will rely on similar creative and visual cues. "It won't be the same phrase everywhere, but there will be a consistent message," Brian Smith, vice president of U.S. marketing for Lexus, told Automotive News.

Although Lexus remains a top luxury automaker in the United States, the brand has struggled to find buyers in other global markets. Last year Lexus sold 476,566 units worldwide, compared to BMW's 1.54 million global sales in 2012.

Lexus is keeping the details of the new campaign a secret, but Smith says the new ads might not feature any kind of voiceover.

"The point of the brand campaign will be what we see on the screen, not so much words or language," Smith said. "It will be visual and impactful."

No word on which Lexus model might be the first to star in the new campaign, but the automaker's 2014 IS seems like a likely candidate.
Old 03-12-13, 02:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Bring it !!!!!
Old 03-12-13, 03:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the new line up, things are pretty exciting at lexus
i think they have a good chance to fight their german rivals this year
Old 03-12-13, 06:17 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is great news... Lexus really needs to build their brand in other markets.
Old 03-12-13, 07:55 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the Lexus brand lags the Germans in many global markets, I think the real weak point is the limited powertrain options they have. Lexuses are generally designed for the US market, and then transplanted to global markets where they don't really fit. The Germans on the other hand have a variety of size and powertrain options to suit local tastes, going as far as to even offer long wheelbase versions of the A4 and 3 series for the Chinese market.

I think globally there is also quite a bit of overlap between some of the more popular but lower end German premium cars and Toyotas. Lexus trying to compete with such German cars would mean Lexus competing with Toyota, which doesn't make sense.
Old 03-12-13, 09:20 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a second too soon.

I feel like Lexus has been too gentlemanly and understated in its advertising compared to the Germans, further fostering the wrong assumption that Lexus (and by extension its cars) is a boring company.

Here's hoping for more in-your-face adverts comparing Lexus with the German competitors.
Old 03-12-13, 09:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Good for them. It is time for a global upgrade in brand perception
Old 03-13-13, 06:00 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lexus to launch global brand campaign in May

AUSTIN, Texas -- Lexus, aiming to reach consumers who have not considered the brand in the past, will launch its first global advertising campaign in May.

While Lexus hasn't determined if it will adopt a single tag line or go with various tag lines, much of the creative and visual cues in the campaign will be similar, said Brian Smith, vice president of U.S. marketing for Lexus.

"It won't be the same phrase everywhere, but there will be a consistent message," Smith said. He said phrasing may vary because the same wording can have different meanings as it is translated.

The commercials likely will aim at consumers who have not considered buying a Lexus before, Smith said.

He disclosed the advertising plans to Automotive News during a program to introduce the redesigned Lexus IS sedan to journalists here.

Lexus, Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury division, is sold in more than 80 markets.

It is overhauling the styling of its car and light-truck lineup -- highlighted by new spindlelike grilles -- to pump more energy and emotion into the brand, as well as attract new customers, notably younger buyers.

Trailing the Germans

Lexus' global sales rose 18 percent last year to 476,566 units but remain well below its primary German rivals. BMW sold 1.54 million models worldwide last year, Volkswagen AG's Audi luxury line sold 1.46 million vehicles and Mercedes-Benz had 1.32 million worldwide sales.

Smith declined to provide details about the creative work. However, while the spots will show various Lexus products, they will almost be secondary figures, he said.

While Lexus' U.S. operations have used some form of "Pursuit of Perfection" since the brand debuted 24 years ago, many overseas operations have not followed the same creative theme, Smith said.

The theme of the global campaign will be more unifying. While individual markets will maintain some product and ad independence, the brand campaign will be uniform across all markets, Smith said.

"The point of the brand campaign will be what we see on the screen, not so much words or language," Smith said. "It will be visual and impactful."

In fact, Lexus marketers overseas may eliminate a voiceover, leaving the commercials silent except for music and text, Smith said.

The commercials will come from an agency hired by Lexus' European operations, rather than from Lexus' U.S. agency, Team One.

The commercials are being shot in Europe, though not in a location that is easily identifiable.
Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2NQMsVPm9
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Old 03-14-13, 07:26 PM
LexFather

Great now everyone will notice you can get all the options overseas and America gets the shaft lol.

Old 03-14-13, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^^ the ads will be edited for the u.s. so most don't know that.
Old 03-14-13, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ the ads will be edited for the u.s. so most don't know that.
It's a Lexus owner inside joke....

Old 03-15-13, 06:17 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Last night I participated in a Focus Group related to their new marketing strategy. It was a very diverse group of 8 in my session. Only 2 of us were true enthusiasts and even knew what the LFA was. I don't want to give too much away but suffice to say that Lexus is looking to promote performance in an Amazing way.

Last edited by KayGee; 03-15-13 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 11:41 PM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of where Lexus is headed! I also think it would be cool if Lexus developed a mobile robot kinda like Honda did w/ ASIMO. from the brief 15 sec glimpse it definitely gave that impression.
Old 04-17-13, 12:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus needs PRODUCT and more of it. Coupes, verts, wagons etc.. just Sedans and Utes won't cut it
Old 04-17-13, 03:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I saw the teaser as well on the Lexus Japan website (lexus.jp) as well as on the Lexus International website (lexus-global.com)

So yeah, this thing is really global. It will be interesting to see as to what comes out by next month.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus To Launch New Global Marketing Campaign