Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NX to debut at Geneva 2014

Old 04-05-13, 11:26 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX to debut at Geneva 2014

Lexus will launch hybrid SUV to rival Q3

April 5, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

COLOGNE, Germany -- Lexus plans to show a production-ready premium compact SUV to rival Audi's Q3 and BMW's X1 at next year's Geneva auto show, a company source said.

The hybrid model, which will be based on parent company Toyota's RAV4 compact SUV, will slot below the current Lexus RX 450h and become the automaker's first offering in the fast-growing premium medium SUV segment, the source said.

It was unclear if or when the vehicle would come to North America. Toyota Europe declined to comment on future plans for the model.

At this year's Detroit auto show, Lexus chief Kazuo Ohara said a concept version of the SUV would be unveiled at the Tokyo auto show in November.

The compact SUV will likely use the Toyota hybrid drivetrain currently found in the Lexus IS 300h, which uses a four-cylinder 2.5-liter gasoline engine mated to an electric motor.

Automakers are racing to add small SUVs to their lineups because of the popularity of models such as the Q3, Nissan's Juke and Opel's Mokka.

Automotive News Europe contributed to this report

You can reach Michael Knauer at autonews@crain.com.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz2PcAZDKe8
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Old 04-05-13, 11:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good news, but can't come soon enough!!
Old 04-05-13, 12:45 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting news. They need one in the lineup
Old 04-05-13, 02:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 153 Likes on 91 Posts

This is a no-brainer. The smaller luxury SUV is hot right now and one with high mpg's and a "Lexus" name plastered to it is a winning combination.
The question is price. If it can be decently optioned for around $35k, it will have my attention.
Old 04-05-13, 02:55 PM
LexFather

They are selling like crazy in Europe too. Remember we didn't get the X1 for a year b/c demand was so high in Europe. Crazy.....

Thing is the RX just sold 9k last month, more than anyone and more than entire brands so I hope the NX doesn't cannibalize too many sales. Its obvious even with people leaving Lexus or buying others, the RX remains the leader.

Since this seems to be a hybrid from launch getting maybe 40mpg, its going to be one hot seller. I am assuming that would be the highest rated MPG SUV in America maybe the world.

Old 04-05-13, 03:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

probably more like 35-37 MPG :-).

if it is true, it could go on sale within year or maybe little bit more than that.
Old 04-05-13, 03:51 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New smaller CUV in 2014

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/05/l...va-motor-show/
Old 04-05-13, 03:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Would have been excited if it said coupe instead of another hybrid SUV.
Old 04-05-13, 04:21 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes just released the GLK250 Bluetec in Canada. 2.5l twin turbo, 7 speed with 4matic. 7.2l/100km (32.7mpg) combined.

Diesel costs about the same as regular here, still more than US.

Seats 5 comfortably and 2013 styling got rid of the boxy look. Lexus needs to step it up or they are just loosing the opportunities.
Old 04-05-13, 06:52 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the hybrid drive concept. Let's hope that Lexus builds some luxury into the small CUV ... I have not been impressed with the HS and CT as recent entry level efforts. The RAV4 platform does not sound like a particularly attractive starting point, but I guess I will keep an open mind and see what they produce.
Old 04-05-13, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Love the RX but I'm excited for the NX 300h (and 200t) to come to market to own a smaller more fuel efficient Lexus compact SUV getting 40+ mpg. Can't wait for summer/fall in 2014 for the new model to be out. It's about time Lexus comes to market where BMW, MB, Audi, Acura, and Infiniti already have had offerings for years

http://www.leftlanenews.com/spied-le...crossover.html
Old 04-06-13, 07:58 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Well too bad. I already got my RX
Old 04-07-13, 01:55 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably more like 35-37 MPG :-).

if it is true, it could go on sale within year or maybe little bit more than that.
I find it interesting how you were so adamant in disproving and very dismissive of my theory that this mule was the NX, which it likely was, as several parts didn't match the 2013 RAV4. The door-mounted mirrors and the more extensive & sloppy "camouflage" were a red flag. Not only that, luxury competitors were being tested(doesn't matter if RAV4 is more upmarket elsewhere) and it even had a dual exhaust system.

There's an obvious difference between a test mule and actual prototype(utilizing the production design), as this vehicle was the former. Clearly none of the 2013 variants have such elements on the exterior, so that obviously wasn't a RAV4. Next time one should be a bit more attentive than deride understandable speculation.

North American 2013 RAV4

2013 RAV4(Worldwide)

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-07-13 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Shortened regions to "worldwide".
Old 04-08-13, 08:54 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Very Great pictures comparison. It looks like the NX will be as small as the Tucson, and the Lights look like a hint of the Current RX and Rav4 all together. The Front end will have Lexus Predator Nose, and look a bit Bulky up for a 3d effect.

The tail lights will be Close to the Current RX, maybe more pointy. But well, I like my RX, and my wife love it. I enjoy the Smooth and Floating ride, but I dislike the Body Roll through the corner.

Now if Lexus could have made a FLoaty Ride together with an Agile, and more Balancing, Stiffer Corner roll. I will buy it with no Doubt
Old 04-08-13, 09:35 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Very Great pictures comparison. It looks like the NX will be as small as the Tucson, and the Lights look like a hint of the Current RX and Rav4 all together. The Front end will have Lexus Predator Nose, and look a bit Bulky up for a 3d effect.

The tail lights will be Close to the Current RX, maybe more pointy. But well, I like my RX, and my wife love it. I enjoy the Smooth and Floating ride, but I dislike the Body Roll through the corner.

Now if Lexus could have made a FLoaty Ride together with an Agile, and more Balancing, Stiffer Corner roll. I will buy it with no Doubt
try asking in the 3rd gen RX forum. I think the F-Sport springs, coupled with the standard shocks should give you the desired effect. Since the 2013 RX F-Sport is just a cosmetic and suspension upgrade on the standard RX, it should be a bolt on swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX to debut at Geneva 2014