LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 2015 COMPLETE Exterior Redesign???

Old 04-04-13, 03:24 PM
Juandango
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 460 2015 COMPLETE Exterior Redesign???

I am new to the Club. I have been following this and some of the other Lexus forum sites. I have been wanting a new LS for some time, but , quite frankly, have been a little disappointed in the new 2013 “quasi-redesign” which i had been anxiously awaiting.

The new 2013 interior is very nice but, except for the addition of the spindle grill, I find the 2013 exterior to be virtually identical to the 2007-2012 models. A fellow named Black Dynamite recently said in a post that Lexus is planning to do a FULL, COMPLETE LS EXTERIOR redesign for the 2015 model year.

How would he know this? Is he a Lexus employee? Is this just a guess or does anyone have reliable information to back this up? I view a new LS as a major purchase so I would be very grateful for the answer. It will very likely influence my purchasing decision.
Old 04-04-13, 03:40 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert by any means, but I doubt that Lexus would do a complete changeover on the LS within the next 2 years considering that they just did that with the 2013 model, they might do some minor changes like with the 09 compare to the 07-08 LS.

Last edited by datplayaz; 04-04-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 04:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^ i would have to agree. i just bought the 2013 LS and the rear is redone the front is redone and the interior is redone. i can't see a complete makeover in the next 2 years. i too wanted to wait, then realized, what else can be done to this car in another year or two. i have no qualms about the 2013 LS except the wheels which i am changing, other than that, this car is solid.
Old 04-04-13, 04:31 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, keep in mind that waiting two, three, or more years to buy puts you much closer to the government-mandated CAFE standards which are already causing manufacturers to downsize vehicles, engines, and luxe. Check out the latest Jag ads for a look at the future of luxe cars. Waiting can be a dangerous game...
Old 04-04-13, 06:45 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True ^ Jags now have super charged V6 for their flagship sedan and Audi already has as well. But still the performance compared to our V8 is similar so cant really complain. What we can complain about is no offering of the over the top flag ship like the XJL super sport, S8, S63/5 AMG, Alpina B7, and the like. I do see a engine modification as being possible as how the S550 did from 09-10 going from 390 roughly to 429 with their facelift.
Old 04-04-13, 10:13 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXurious
I do see a engine modification as being possible as how the S550 did from 09-10 going from 390 roughly to 429 with their facelift.
Over the next five years, you're going to see exactly the opposite. HP, torque, displacement, weight, and features are all going to crater. Those CAFE standards are truly BRUTAL! We are in the golden age of power and features right now, probably not to be seen again in our lifetimes. Sure, a few exotics will remain but at stratospheric prices and extremely limited production. Our current population of cars with gobs of power, tons of luxe, choice of models, and all at affordable prices is going the way of the dodo.
Old 04-05-13, 12:02 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I do see them doing something like that as soon as 2015. This chassis came out in 2007. 3 years later in 2010 they did a minor change. 3 years later for 2013 they did a more significant change. By 2015 the chassis will be 8 years old. If you look at how the past has been they make major chassis changes like this in just about those intervals. It'll actually be overdue for one at that point. They are like that with almost all their models.

Ucf10/11 1990-1994
Ucf20 1995-2000
Ucf30 2001-2006

Last edited by lbintab; 04-05-13 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-05-13, 05:35 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Not only did the 2013 460 get a major refresh inside and out the chassis has been stiffened on all 2013 LS sedans, however for the F-Sport version get it has more bracing in the rear. Also up front, new bushings to quicken turn in response, and new rebound springs to reduce body roll. Lexus stretch out the LS for 3 more years due to having too many models having new designs from the ground up (2013 GS, ES & 2014 IS) they made that mistake before and it set them back. It has been rumored that Mr. Toyoda (when he took over after all the Toyota unintended accelerated issues) fired the LS design team due to all of the issues for the 07 model that was not Lexus like so whatever they were working on for next gen LS could be scrapped or have been used in the 2013 who knows. Lexus is pretty good at being secretive about what is coming in the future unless they put that info out themselves, I would look for all NEW LS sedans in late 2016 and they may call it a 2017 is my guess based on how Lexus is rolling out cars now.

I agree with the others on the waiting game, if you want one get it b/c it will always be something better of new coming around the corner. One way I see combating the government-mandated CAFE standards is adding turbos like BMW and Audi to get more HP out smaller engines. Man for me there is nothing like a rear wheel drive V-8!!!! Call me old school but that what I love the most about my car.
Old 04-05-13, 08:18 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
...it will always be something better of new coming around the corner. One way I see combating the government-mandated CAFE standards is adding turbos like BMW and Audi to get more HP out smaller engines. Man for me there is nothing like a rear wheel drive V-8!!!! Call me old school but that what I love the most about my car.
Your assumption that the future holds "better" cars around the corner is true if, and ONLY if, the market drives innovation. When government regulations replace market incentives, the entire game changes. As you imply, even turbos and blowers will not suffice to replace the smooth, reliable power of V-8 engines. Furthermore, it is nowhere assured that such performance aids will even be available in the (near) future. I don't think people here truly understand how radically restrictive the CAFE standards actually are. And auto engineers are busy designing CAFE's low-powered, high-efficiency, decontented "cars of the future" right NOW! You want to see the future of cars here? Look at France. Wall-to-wall crappy little 4-door hatchbacks. Now, lots of folks love their little runabouts both here and there, but they are NOT Lexus LS460s!
Old 04-05-13, 05:07 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

yah I think we'll see a whole new LS in 2015 as a 2016 model. Once the new S Class comes out later this year the pressure will be on all other luxury manufacturers.
Old 04-06-13, 08:13 AM
Juandango
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you changing about the wheels? I am going with the standard 18 inch because I like the luxurious Lexus LS ride. Am afraid of the 19 ' but they admittedly look very nice'.
Old 04-06-13, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I'd be very surprised if we did not see an all new LS in 2015.

Bear in mind that of all the competitors in this segment, the LS is already the oldest, imagine two years from now? They did a refresh for 2013 just to try and stay as current as they can, but an all new LS is right around the corner.
Old 04-06-13, 03:40 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'd be very surprised if we did not see an all new LS in 2015...an all new LS is right around the corner.
Nonsense! The major minor is all you're going to see until the new generation flagship is ready. I would guess somewhere around MY2017-18. It will have 6-cylinder gas engine only (possibly turboed) with an optional turbo-diesel. Weight will be in mid 3's, luxe will be drastically trimmed (no all-seat HVAC), and you'll be looking at a bunch of plastic instead of steel. The GOOD news is others will be making even crappier cars. Yea! Bring on the future...
Old 04-06-13, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

At that point the basic LS460 will be 11-12 years old (bear in mind the current LS460 came out in 2006. Never in Lexus' history has one basic model been utilized that long) If they wait that long they will be woefully behind the rest of the market segment, when they are behind already. Everybody else has a brand new all new vehicle in this class already, if Lexus stays put that long they may as well cancel the LS and go the way of Infiniti and Acura. Bear in mind that by 2017-2018 we're going to be looking at a new 7 series, a new A8 most likely. The current model of those vehicles will have come and gone all while the LS is basically the same as it was in 2006. Remember this is third version of this chassis already, the first time Lexus has ever done that. They're trying to stretch out their new model debuts so they don't all happen at the same time, but by 2017 we're going to be looking at least a refreshed GS and ES. 2015 makes a lot of sense because the LS will be the big reveal.

I don't share your opinion on what the future holds for the quality of these vehicles. Look at the 2014 S Class as the benchmark.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-06-13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 06:37 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I don't share your opinion on what the future holds for the quality of these vehicles. Look at the 2014 S Class as the benchmark.
What happens in MY2014-2015 is irrelevant. CAFE really begins to kick in a few years later than that. By the early 2020s, CAFE rules the roost and all your (and others') dreams of killer mobiles are so much smoke. Imagine you're a car designer with 2024 hanging over your head requiring a 50% improvement over your current flagship vehicle's fuel economy. You gotta figure out how to get 34mpg out of your existing 22mpg car. No, a can of STP+ in the tank is not going to do it. Physics says you better get busy downsizing your engines, dropping weight like Karen Carpenter, and putting your passengers cheek to jowl. Look at France, Steve; they're driving now what we're going to have to be driving BY LAW 10 years from now. Look into it - tell me I'm wrong...PLEASE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS 460 2015 COMPLETE Exterior Redesign???