Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzgte what do I need to go single turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 12:10 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzgte what do I need to go single turbo

Hey guys, with a 2jzgtte from japan, how easy is it to simply make a single turbo? Is it as easy as new ecu , single turbo, (possibly injectors)? Is a new ecu even completely necessary?
Old 02-05-13, 01:51 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you even attempt or think to SEARCH!!!!!!! this is the easiest information to find about the gte
Old 02-05-13, 07:20 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

It is extremely hard to swap to a single turbo on a GTE motor, very much like using the search button on this website. Just keep the stock twins and crank the boost to 30 psi.
Old 02-05-13, 07:51 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although iridebmx, and jjffyy came across kind of harsh, they are correct.

This topic and swap has been completed more times than any group of 10 people can count using their toes and fingers.

But to touch base on your question, yes its easy to make single turbo if your pockets are deep enough, and to the rest of your question..no. But there is more to the swap than just going to a single turbo, and this is where the forums search function comes into play. It will answer EVERY possible question you could imagine without having to post a new thread about each one, and will avoid responses as such.
Old 02-05-13, 09:01 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Its easier to just explain it to him in point form, most of the searched threads he will find have little bits of info here and there mixed in with responses telling people to search.

Here is what i got from 'searching' GTE single turbo. A mixed bag of picture threads and what did you do to your sc today and a few build threads. Although there is a sticky on a GTE conversion thread at least and maybe one more relevant thread.

I dont use it anymore I just use google.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzgte what do I need to go single turbo-clublexus.jpg  

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 02-05-13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 02:32 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

1willy1 has a good point, its not always easy to search things up as keywords are used and useless threads pop up. it is so much easier to use google. but yes, please do some research before asking. yes it is easy to do a single conversion, however, it is not easy to take off the twins. and no, u dont need a new ecu. u can run a single set up on stock ecu, stock pump, stock injectors
Old 02-07-13, 02:39 AM
Volume123
Driver

Ok wireless, that was pretty much the main questions you answered thanks. I just kind of needed some clarification, that obvioulsy, it won't be too expensive then to simply buy a single, some piping and swap out the twins. And about the search, I was on my phone which is a huge POS so I could not search at the time and needed answers, but I should have waited your correct.
Old 02-07-13, 09:02 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

So...who all spent more effort bashing the op than it woulda taken to post an answer?
Old 02-07-13, 09:26 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
So...who all spent more effort bashing the op than it woulda taken to post an answer?

I wondered the same yesterday lol I'm still fairly new but I found out early that many threads are three years old, you go to post in it, the following poster thinks that thread is new and only look at the OP. Let alone one thread equals cluttered questions and answers...
Old 02-08-13, 08:01 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Volume123
Ok wireless, that was pretty much the main questions you answered thanks. I just kind of needed some clarification, that obvioulsy, it won't be too expensive then to simply buy a single, some piping and swap out the twins. And about the search, I was on my phone which is a huge POS so I could not search at the time and needed answers, but I should have waited your correct.
a single swap will run you a little over $1k, typically. but if you can get everything used or cheap its possible you can do it for under $800 on the low side. it typically costs from $800 and above
Old 02-08-13, 09:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Thats why clear thread titles is very helpfull, to prevent cluttering the forum.
While your question is very specific as to what is required for a single upgrade, your thread title is just 2jz.

Searching clublexus with google can also be helpful, and you will get results in other sections besides the SC section, which if talking about gte stuff there is good info in the GS and IS forums as well.

Thanks to those that are helping out with what seems to be the easy questions. sometimes getting the question and answer in one page with a good title is all it takes for people to actually find the info when searching.
Old 02-08-13, 10:38 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

The single conversion will cost you quite a bit especially if you dont plan on installing the parts yourself (stock twins is a PITA to remove if the motor has already been installed. The best way is to buy a turbo kit that is proven to work on the SC or youll have to pay for custom fabrication.
Old 02-09-13, 02:51 AM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I wondered the same yesterday lol I'm still fairly new but I found out early that many threads are three years old, you go to post in it, the following poster thinks that thread is new and only look at the OP. Let alone one thread equals cluttered questions and answers...
Yeah. I use google and loom through the club Lexus results, but there's so many threads that have a tiny bit of info scattered over so many pages it seems silly to necro bump it. Makes more sense to me to just post a new topic if the topic is older than 2012