Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

UL w/ air suspension bouncy?

Old 12-20-12, 02:17 PM
choi0706
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UL w/ air suspension bouncy?

Is there something wrong,? the car became REALLLY bouncy! Ride height adjustments still work, high/low.. But is very bouncy in both modes..
Old 12-20-12, 04:32 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the first sign of airshocks going bad. Usually rear ones get hard first. At least that's what I experienced. Each airshock is $1k by itself. I switched to metal springs and shocks.
Old 12-20-12, 05:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

My LS is pretty bouncy as well. I wouldn't say it's super bouncy but it is annoying at times.
Old 12-20-12, 06:56 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I love the bounciness! to firm it up just put it in sport mode.
Old 12-21-12, 06:32 AM
choi0706
Rookie

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
That is the first sign of airshocks going bad. Usually rear ones get hard first. At least that's what I experienced. Each airshock is $1k by itself. I switched to metal springs and shocks.

Any other way to confirm its the shocks, and perhaps nothing else? sensors, etc?
Old 12-21-12, 01:45 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go to dealer/Lexus shop to test air suspension but most likely they'll find no leaks. I read on this forum that shocks can blow out. So when my LS started to experience bouncy behavior I started ordering parts. When I did my swap mechanic said shocks had no leaks. I didn't want Murphy's law to bite me.....

Ps
Sensors have nothing to do with how firm your shocks get, meaning rods/sensors to adjust height of air suspension.
If you start to drive your LS hard airsus will firm up, same thing if sport mode is selected. If you drive normal and suspension is set to "Normal" ride should be far from firm or bouncy, should be like a magic carpet ride.

Last edited by yuri.ber; 12-21-12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 07:21 PM
dosik2
9th Gear

The airsus may be going bad.
But, before conclusion, I would check the tire pressue first...
Old 12-31-12, 07:19 AM
choi0706
Rookie

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
You can go to dealer/Lexus shop to test air suspension but most likely they'll find no leaks. I read on this forum that shocks can blow out. So when my LS started to experience bouncy behavior I started ordering parts. When I did my swap mechanic said shocks had no leaks. I didn't want Murphy's law to bite me.....

Ps
Sensors have nothing to do with how firm your shocks get, meaning rods/sensors to adjust height of air suspension.
If you start to drive your LS hard airsus will firm up, same thing if sport mode is selected. If you drive normal and suspension is set to "Normal" ride should be far from firm or bouncy, should be like a magic carpet ride.

yeah, its very bouncy, unbearable almost.. I can't tell if the fronts are being bouncy as well.. But the rears are certain..
Old 01-31-13, 11:35 AM
choi0706
Rookie

any thoughts guys?
Old 01-31-13, 01:02 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The UL air suspension is simply a combination of air bags and shocks. Your shocks may be bad or they may be set to their softest setting. The switch on your dash labeled Sport / Normal selects one of two positions for the shock damper valves.

1) Is your car sitting abnormally low? If yes then then your air bags are shot and need replacing. If no, then your air "springs" are fine.

2) Look at your shocks underneath the car or from around the tire. Do you see oil contamination on the outside of the shocks? If yes, the shocks are probably bad (if there is quite a bit of oil). If no then the shocks are probably good. If only a little bit of oil, and you have a complaint with a soft ride then I'd assume that your shocks are shot and think about replacing them.

3) Can you tell any difference at all between Sport and Normal shock settings? If yes then the shock adjusters are working (and the shocks are bad). If no then the adjusters may not be working. These can be easily checked by following the shop manual.

The overall bad news is that with the UL air suspension system you have to buy the shock and air bag together as a complete unit. Very $$$$. Many have replaced the air suspension with steel springs because the steel springs are about 1/4 the cost for the complete exchange including shocks.
Old 01-31-13, 05:54 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

I just replaced mine with the OEM sport struts/steel springs because my rear was bouncy. Car feels like a million bucks now.
Old 01-31-13, 07:27 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
I just replaced mine with the OEM sport struts/steel springs because my rear was bouncy. Car feels like a million bucks now.
I did mine a year and a half ago. Standard springs. It feels as good as it ever did. I'm very pleased with my decision.

Last edited by Bon; 01-31-13 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 07:44 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
I did mine a year and a half ago. Standard springs. It feels as good as it ever did. I'm verry pleased with my decision.
I went with tanabe nf210 springs. The car feels great. I wish it was a tad bit lower, so I am debating selling the struts/springs, but man I don't want to lose this ride quality.
Old 02-01-13, 06:29 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
I did mine a year and a half ago. Standard springs. It feels as good as it ever did. I'm very pleased with my decision.
Man, you guys are getting me itching to replace my air. A few months ago I picked up a full set of lo-miileage sport struts and springs all ready to go ($150!). I may have to tackle this one in a few weeks as I have one entire week off from work.
My air sus is still fine but I don't want to deal with it when one of 'em goes. I'll just change them now. My car is completely stock and has about 75K miles on it.
Old 02-04-13, 01:18 PM
Treasure
Driver School Candidate

week ago i purschase a 04 ls430 i notice the right side passage was a little low the car has only 79000. Is there an after market air strut .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UL w/ air suspension bouncy?