GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 08:31 AM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care

We recently purchased a 2011 GX 460 Premium with the black semi aniline leather. Last week we noticed that the black leather when under sunlight has a tint of dark blue/purple on certain parts of the seats. It is very noticeable when you look at it outdoors not even in direct sunlight.

To better explain the condition.....the seating surface and even the backrest area are black but the back of the front seats where the pouch resides and also the two sides of the fronts seats (side airbag areas) have this blue/purple tint. Also the sides of the rear seats (side airbag areas) have this tint. We also noticed the side of the door panel has that tint. At first we thought there were dye issues with the leather so we took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. It doesn't seem to be a dye issue as the color tint is very specific to certain areas and dye issues are spotty.

Wanted to hear those of you with the black semi aniline leather to see if any of you noticed this color tint?
Old 11-15-10, 07:34 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have the black semi-aniline leather?
Old 11-15-10, 11:30 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

I have the same black semi-aniline leather on mine there is a slight, very slight color difference from the center of the seat but i really don't see purple or blue just a minute color difference.
Old 11-16-10, 06:03 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just brainstorming. My Lexus dealer treated my seats with something to prevent staining. It came for free, but they have tried to sell me a program to get retreated on yearly basis. Maybe this is just leather treatment the dealer has used causing color relflection.
Old 11-18-10, 10:35 AM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your feedback and replies. A picture is worth a thousand words so I've posted a picture. As you can see there are color variations to the black. I don't think it is due to leather protectant/treatment from the dealer. Looks like it came like that from the factory.

Is it just me or do any one of you notice this.
Attached Thumbnails Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care-img_02361.jpg  
Old 11-18-10, 04:12 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GXOwner
Thanks for all your feedback and replies. A picture is worth a thousand words so I've posted a picture. As you can see there are color variations to the black. I don't think it is due to leather protectant/treatment from the dealer. Looks like it came like that from the factory.

Is it just me or do any one of you notice this.
By that pic, it looks like that piece of the seat is not leather. It is probably vinyl (poorly tinted). If it is as noticeable without direct daylight I would not except that as being normal. I'm sure if you sent that picture to Toyota as an official complaint, it would be in Lexus' best interest to replace the seat. Squeaky wheel.

Koz
Old 11-18-10, 05:47 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its probably a different material or what not so that the airbag can rip out of the material.
Old 11-18-10, 07:47 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

If you look at the floor carpeting, it is not black and has that purple/blue tint as well. If you compare it with the surface of the back seat (black) you can see the contrast. Without sunlight you don't notice it unless you really look hard at it.

I'm thinking it is normal at this point but wanted to confirm if others with the black semi-aniline interior noticed this as well. I hope we didn't get a defective model. I don't think Toyota/Lexus will replace the carpet/seats because of this tint issue. Both fronts seats and the floor carpet are like this.
Old 11-18-10, 08:07 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I have the same interior, I don't see any difference, it's all black...
Old 11-20-10, 02:26 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I have the same interior, I don't see any difference, it's all black...
Same here...
Old 11-27-10, 10:31 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Went to the dealer for our 1000 mile complimentary service earlier this week and looked at a few other GX Premiums with the black leather and it is the same. There are slight color variations in certain parts of the leather only in the side of the seats on the side airbags and the carpeting. You actually see this same variation on the darker brown color interior as well but you really need to look at it as black shows off any imperfection easier. I was told those areas are not the aniline leather areas (synthetic areas for padding purposes) hence "semi- aniline".

The service guy said I was one of the few people that noticed this color variation. He said you really need to stare at it under direct sunlight with doors open to notice it. Well it is normal in case any new owners do spot this.
Old 11-28-10, 12:22 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed the color variations on the black leather in the dealership before I purchased the gx.
Old 12-02-10, 11:58 AM
Koz

I just took delivery of the black interior and it is barely noticeable, I can live with that.

Koz
Old 12-02-10, 12:00 PM
Koz

What I do not understand is why there is only one button (on the barn door and none on the door handles) to lock the vehicle from the outside.

Koz
Old 12-02-10, 05:35 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
What I do not understand is why there is only one button (on the barn door and none on the door handles) to lock the vehicle from the outside.

Koz
Why should there be any buttons? It seems the buttons on the side-swing rear door should be eliminated so the entire vehicle relies on the electronic keys to lock and unlock by touching the door handles. The handle on the side-swing rear door should be touch sensitive just like the other doors.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our dealership replaced the batteries in our electronic keys at our annual service under warranty ... or maybe for customer goodwill. Whatever, it is better than being locked out of our vehicle because the electronic key battery died!

Quick Reply: Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care