Road Course and Auto-X Discussion about road course, time trial and autocross racing.

So I just signed up for my first track event...

Old 10-20-12, 02:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

8 25 minute sessions will kill the brakes if they are already on the edge and the tires will take a beating. Thats over 3 hours of hard driving. Have a great time. It's addictive
Old 10-21-12, 10:32 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the only part of my brakes that's on the edge is the rotors up front. The pads and brake fluid were both replace about 7K ago. The rears haven't been replaced, but they still had a decent amount of life at that time.
Old 10-24-12, 11:39 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Most cars have understeer built in by manufacturers.

With your setup, and the addition of the Fsport sway bars, you will definitely cause more understeer.

Have fun!
Old 11-25-12, 04:06 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Man, I've been having some crappy luck with my car lately.

Anyone know how dangerous it would be to take my car to the track with a slightly bent rear rim? I hit something on the road that put a bubble in my tire and put a bend in my rim. I'm going to get the tire replaced, but I was hoping to put off the rim repair for a couple weeks (which would be after I go to the track).
Old 11-25-12, 07:05 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though you can probably get away with running it on a slightly bent rim, you don't wanna test your luck because the tire can de bead mid corner. So just be on the safe side and repair the rim.
Old 11-27-12, 09:16 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Hopefully no one is getting annoyed with my reposts of these questions, heh.

But thanks for the tips, man. Debeading, huh? You really think that would happen with a fairly minor bend that didn't cause a leak or imbalance? That would be some serious shizz if the tire could debead from this...

I'm getting my pre-race inspection done now, so hopefully I'll find out if it's a problem soon... and hopefully it'll be good news. I guess worst case scenario, I still have my OEM wheels that I can spend ~$100 getting re-installed if necessary. Just hope it doesn't come to that. Although it might actually be good for me in one other way -- my rear wheels have an offset that is 15 mm more aggressive than stock, which from what I hear could potentially wreak havoc on my bearings.

One last question -- do you guys who track your car usually change your oil before and/or after track events? Or do you stick to your regular change intervals?

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-27-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 11:52 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Hopefully no one is getting annoyed with my reposts of these questions, heh.

But thanks for the tips, man. Debeading, huh? You really think that would happen with a fairly minor bend that didn't cause a leak or imbalance? That would be some serious shizz if the tire could debead from this...

I'm getting my pre-race inspection done now, so hopefully I'll find out if it's a problem soon... and hopefully it'll be good news. I guess worst case scenario, I still have my OEM wheels that I can spend ~$100 getting re-installed if necessary. Just hope it doesn't come to that. Although it might actually be good for me in one other way -- my rear wheels have an offset that is 15 mm more aggressive than stock, which from what I hear could potentially wreak havoc on my bearings.

One last question -- do you guys who track your car usually change your oil before and/or after track events? Or do you stick to your regular change intervals?
I change mine before events. Sometimes after. Are you using synthetic?
Old 12-26-12, 07:11 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I'm new here, but long time HPDE instructor for P-cars. (pboc/nasa/pca/chin/safe/scca)

this guy wrote a great set of articles on HPDE. VERY worth reading. (the IS is front wheel? trail brake more, never lift, etc)

http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/DriversEdEd.html

brakes and tires get used up at the track. and you must hydrate. you brain fades big time if you're not hydrated.

'look ahead' is the eternal mantra. and slow in, fast out.