LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What's a lateral arm bushing - front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 01:41 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a lateral arm bushing - front suspension

Was told the car front suspension is sagging and needs lateral arm bushings on the front strut mount. I am finding lots of different parts online that sound similar. I can buy "front strut mounts", "stabilizer bar" stabilizer bar bushings". The latter only cost $11 each. I am not seeing anything named "lateral arm bushings". Any suggestions? I don't want to buy an entire part if only the bushings can be purchased separately. Thank you for suggestions. Part is for a first generation LS400.
Old 12-09-12, 04:55 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

This is the strut assembly

front strut mount is # 6 in this picture, and will not cause sagging.
stabilizer bar and stabilizer bar bushings are not shown but deffinatly will not cause sagging.
Everything that you mentioned is not what you need,

I assume that you need a Axle Carrier & Lateral Arm Bushing Kit and I can only find one for the rear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/583-LS400-89...-/170757947438

If it is for the front, are you sure it is a lateral arm and not a control arm?
Old 12-09-12, 05:27 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd assume that the person you talked to was talking about the front lower control arm bushings.

who inspected the car?
Old 12-09-12, 05:50 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Hey thanks to you both. SpencerT -- really appreciate the link. The repair was not 'urgent' so I didn't take care of it at the time and now (that I'm ready to take care of it) I can't recall what the exact part was named. No longer in touch with the original mechanic who diagnosed. I have 'lateral arm bushing' in my notes, but also 'front strut mount' so that's as much as I know. I have some other maintenance work coming up soon so I will have that mechanic look at it and tell me what part will stop the clunks I'm getting while going over potholes (and the noise is coming from the front, not the rear). Driving me nuts and has ruined the 'Lexus ride' feel. I may call a few parts places tomorrow and see what they say. Otherwise, will wait for the re-diagnosis.
Old 12-09-12, 06:24 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Make sure that you get it diagnosed before you go buying parts.
A worn front strut mount may diminish ride quality but is unlikely to cause your "clunk".
More likely is the strut rod bushing.

But neither of which will cause a sag... that is a seperate issue.
Old 12-09-12, 06:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

an utterly blown out strut mount can cause a sag and a clunk but there would be a host of other issues besides those 2...

if the car has 150+ miles on it, it might be worth it to do a complete suspension re-bush if you plan to keep the car for a while..

Roca rubber lower control arm bushings, some poly sway bar bushings, new sway bar links, strut rod bushings, new upper control arms(bushings and upper ball joints in one), lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods will have the front of your car riding like new assuming the struts/springs/strutmounts are in decent enough shape.

Consensus seems to be that rubber bushings, and NOT Polyurethane bushings, should be used everywhere but in the sway bar bushings to maintain ride quality.
Old 12-09-12, 09:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
inner and outer tie rods
what I do to every car I purchase, makes it drive with that new car rock hard steering - love it!

new upper control arms
I hope you're rich!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-09-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 09:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

have the mech show you exactly what part he's referring to, he's using the wrong name. any arm parallel to the ground is a "lateral" arm.
Old 12-09-12, 10:41 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
what I do to every car I purchase, makes it drive with that new car rock hard steering - love it!
I agree, it can make a big difference.
I do it simply for alignment reasons unless they show signs of wear. nothing sucks worse than to go for an alignment and find all the adjustment is seized!

I hope you're rich!
$125-150/arm on rockauto is not that bad considering you're getting new upper control arm bushings are $55/side and upper balljoints would be like $50-75/side...
not to mention the 1-2hours labour you are saving by not having to press out the old bushings before pressing the new ones in.
Old 12-09-12, 10:59 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

from what I have read here on CL - no brand of aftermarket upper control arms have lasted much over a year except the real Toyota ones, at over $1000 per set!!

search on it - this has been discussed to death, and no good options
Old 12-10-12, 01:40 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I have searched and it seems the only real consensus is that the Arnott's are garbage.
There is nothing conclusive about any other brands beyond speculation and hearsay.

From personal experience, both Beck/Arnley (@$185/arm) and Moog (@~$150/arm) parts are of exceptional quality and perfect OEM fit on every other application I have installed them on for the past 12years. There is minimal to no discussion about either in any negative context, beyond one thread where the OP was basically called out by everyone for being an idiot.

I have no problems or qualms ordering either, but will be ordering the Moogs, so that I can mic up the ends and and confirm fitment for everyone else.

Unless someone has some quantifiable proof that either or both of these brands do not fit...

Oh and I have a 96 for reference

Last edited by Shmee; 12-10-12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 07:37 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

who has the Moog UC arms for $150?

this site is claiming that GM/Delco is the OEM for our super expensive inner tie rods, not sure if that is true, but it wouldn't be the first time a GM part was found on a Toyota from the factory
Old 12-13-12, 07:53 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Rockauto has the moog arms for the 96 for $146 and $165, or at the time of my last post that's what they were.
Old 12-13-12, 08:11 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

just checked again and indeed they are those prices still however that was set to CND, here is the USD prices:

MOOG Part # RK620653 R-Series
Front Right Upper
$148.79
Add Part
MOOG Part # RK620654 R-Series
Front Left Upper
$167.89

still pretty reasonable for them,
Mevotech arms are $128 each
Raybestos arms are $145 each
AC Delco arms are $183 each
Beck/Arnley arms are $188 each
Old 12-13-12, 08:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

some guy here on CL got these in a few days ago and said they were very well made and performed well - for $77

Quick Reply: What's a lateral arm bushing - front suspension