ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

HID headlight replacement

Old 01-26-11, 08:44 PM
ksiq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID headlight replacement

My 2007's drivers side headlight is randomly shutting off. I can see it slightly flutter when I inspect it. I'm not sure how to replace it. I've taken off the cap/wiring harness and can see the end of the lamp but it isn't clear to me how to proceed. Haven't had any luck finding an on line tutorial. Any help will be appreciated!
Old 01-26-11, 09:01 PM
PJ82ND
Driver School Candidate

turn it counter clockwise
Old 01-27-11, 06:38 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksiq
My 2007's drivers side headlight is randomly shutting off. I can see it slightly flutter when I inspect it. I'm not sure how to replace it. I've taken off the cap/wiring harness and can see the end of the lamp but it isn't clear to me how to proceed. Haven't had any luck finding an on line tutorial. Any help will be appreciated!
Turning counter clockwise is for Halogen bulbs, yours is a little different.

There's a metal clip in there that holds the bulb in place. It looks like a "U" and you'll need to pinch the upper ends of that "U" to release the hooks. Once released, let the "U" clip swing down out of the way and just pull out the bulb.

Good luck
Old 01-27-11, 07:30 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ksiq
If you're still under the 4yr/50k warranty the dealer will cover this.

Soon all of the 2007 ES350s will be out of warranty however, and DIY info like this will be very handy to have.
Old 01-27-11, 05:41 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HID bulb replacement DIY

1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
The following users liked this post:
nevernu (10-28-17)
Old 01-28-11, 08:41 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the same procedure for any headlight replacement.

I guess things look a little more intimidating w/ all the layers of plastic under the hood.
Old 01-31-11, 12:31 PM
92sc300nj
Driver

that same procedure is used for is line and gs line lx470 also... the ls is a LOTTT more difficult to change.
Old 03-25-11, 09:20 PM
adr7090
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I has the same issue in my 2007 ES 350 that only have 52K miles. The left HID went off suddenly and it turns on for a second and turns off and I can hear a "humm" behind the light mount. Thank you "dreyfus" for assembly instructions....it will be really helpful for me to replace a new bulb now.
Old 09-24-12, 03:37 PM
stelars
Driver School Candidate

Default I am SO done with Lexus !!

I have a 52,000 ES 350 that sounds like a diesel engine. Now they're telling me $250 to replace a low beam headlight?? I'm going back to GM !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-12, 05:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by stelars
I have a 52,000 ES 350 that sounds like a diesel engine. Now they're telling me $250 to replace a low beam headlight?? I'm going back to GM !!!!!!!!!!
The noisy engine on early ES350's has been well documented. Most owners who had it reported it was primarily on cold startup and went away when the engine warmed up.

A headlight burning out at 52,000 miles? Not uncommon. Since you are out of warranty no need to take the car to the dealership for replacement there are shops out there who will do the job for much less.
Old 10-02-12, 06:55 PM
frf16drvr
Driver School Candidate

The left front low beam HID failed on our 2007 ES. I ordered a replacement bulb from Amazon for about $51...dealer price was $222.95. My local mechanic installed it in about 30 seconds and showed me how to do it. It was worth the $15 charge. The 9-step procedure above is exactly right. Good luck.
Old 10-07-12, 08:17 PM
Cdub78
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I wish I had found this thread sooner because I've been monkeying with this headlight all day.

I am having an issue with my 2002 SC430 driver side low beam as well. It was working intermittently and now it doesn't work at all. I thought maybe there was a loose connection somewhere so I pulled everything out and looked at the bulb. there seems to be a little corrosion where the connector with the metal socket (braided cable) connects to the light bulb.

The bulb itself looks ok and I actually got it to flicker and now it is making a slow but loud buzzing sound when I turn on the headlights. The light has stopped flickering and just plain does not work. Sounds like electrical. I'm not sure what else to try. any ideas on making that connection better? is there a replacement socket out there somewhere? I'm not really sure what to search for.
Old 11-24-12, 05:06 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
I posted a question involving adding HID to a 2IS over here. But I wanted to comment here as well. I went to the dealer today with the same HID bulbs you mentioned to inquire about adding them to my dad's 2006 IS 350 which currently doesn't have HID. The dealer I went to today said it would be $135 to install these bulbs, which would make the car now indeed have HID. I asked if it was as simple as swapping out bulbs and he said it was "more involved than that." Specifically he said there was some "disassembly of the housing" and "programming" involved. I didn't see that mentioned in your walkthrough.
Old 02-09-13, 11:01 PM
howserich
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 gs350 driver side low beam HID

how do you get at the assembly to remove the bulb?
Old 02-10-13, 09:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by howserich
how do you get at the assembly to remove the bulb?
you are in the ES section. You'd probably get more results posting your question specifically in the 3GS section.

However, I'd imagine it's similar in that you remove the plastic coverings and just reach in there. If that doesn't work, there should be an access panel in the wheel well liner or you can remove the splash pan under the front bumper to access the rear of the headlight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID headlight replacement