Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mk3 supra pumpkin into a SC

Old 08-01-11, 06:29 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mk3 supra pumpkin into a SC

well i have been browsing supra forums all day. no real answers. first off my goals are to get an LSD into my sc400. obviously an auto supra TT lsd fits into my differential, BUT my real question is could the mk3 supra differential(whole pumpkin) be fit into my sc400? i couldnt get a direct answer on the length of the axles, or the axle flange pattern, or the pumpkin mounting onto subframe, or even if the diff/driveshaft flange longer or shorter. i have available any means of fabrication to do the job. for example i had in mind to machine an adapter of sorts for the axle flanges and the drive shaft/diff input shaft. i could easily fab a mount for the pumkin but id like to see if anyone has any info. since the mk3 diffs with LSD can be had for cheap, machining and fabrication is at no expense to me.

something like this for the driveshaft.

Last edited by poorsupra; 08-01-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 08:45 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i would like to know the answers also.
Old 08-01-11, 08:45 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have total access to every tool to fab these parts, & you have the knowledge & skill to do this. Then yes, almost anything can be done. Other than that. NOOOOOOOO. It will not work. Save your money & make it easy on youself. Or just buy the MK3 diff & fab it all up, take alot of pics & post it on here, so we all can go WOW, cant believe he did it.
Old 08-01-11, 09:02 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

mark3 dif

mark4 dif:

First, take a note of the front mounting ears, how the distance between centers is massively different.

Then, even though the pics don't show it, the rear mounts are totally different.
iirc, the studs you see on the mark 3 are for the mounts. on the sc/supra, there are three bolts that go through the mounts, into the casing.

so, in short; can it be made to happen?
answer: I've seen it once, guy had a mk4, somebody [horribly ghetto] rigged one in. the next worst thing I have seen was some kid on Pimp My Ride had a car that was two half cuts that were arc-welded together. not cool, not safe, not fun.
Old 08-01-11, 09:20 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

well as far as mounting the diff to the rear subframe, that wont be an issue, i could easily fab something up. i come from a prerunner backround, built a 5.8L windsor ford ranger, 4 link, full roll cage, long travel. so making things fit in places they didnt before, while making sure its strong is the name of my game, and looks like i can easily machine a drive shaft adapter similar to the one i posted.

my main concerns are the axle flanges. and the width or lack of width on the mk3 compared to the sc diff. all in all if anyone has a mk3 diff could you measure the width from flange to flange? if someone has a sc diff handy id like the same measurement. pretty much the more narrow the better, because getting crafty on the lathe for the mk3 to sc4 axle mounting flange adapters will be easier if i have more room to work with, a low profile adapter may pose to be the deciding factor whether it will work or not. cant over extend or jam together the axle.

another option is to see what spline the mk3 axles are compared to the sc, as far as where it slides into the wheel bearing. if the mk3 axles are the same just shorter i could make a spacer at the flange to take up the extra.

2 mk3 axles, lsd w/3:37 diff, some time and materials couldnt be more then 250$ total.

Last edited by poorsupra; 08-01-11 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 10:23 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I has the same question over the na-t forums and evryone flamed me for that... I am, glad someone else brought it up. I have a turbo MK3 shell at my dispossal and, if this can be made to work out on the sc300, I would also like to know the answer.

Where in socal are you located Poorsupra ?.... Maybe we can come up with kit or something since I have a mk3 just sitting.
Old 08-01-11, 10:59 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

or i was even thinking of doing a hybrid axle then sleeving them together with some DOM tubing. TIG welding it all up. would it hold some big HP? prolly not, but if your looking at a budget LSD set up you prolly dont have the $$ for big HP anyway.

well im thinking i could make this a bolt on kit. 1 driveshaft adapter. 2 hybrid axles. and a bolt on bracket for the diff. so when i get some $$ and eventually do get a TT auto LSD i can just swap all my stock stuff back in.

im in the desert(apple valley) btw^^

Last edited by poorsupra; 08-01-11 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 05:32 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if u can make it work. show us pics.

question. not a thread jack here...

can u use the LSD from a MK3 into a SC300 pumpkin?

MK4's are hard to come buy. even for the earliest of 1993 models.
Old 08-02-11, 09:02 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DoomLight
if u can make it work. show us pics.

question. not a thread jack here...

can u use the LSD from a MK3 into a SC300 pumpkin?

MK4's are hard to come buy. even for the earliest of 1993 models.
nope, only mk4 supra TT AUTO lsd units are a direct swap into our sc-gs/3-400 diffs.
Old 08-02-11, 10:07 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone took the lsd from a mk3, did some minor modds to it and put it into his none lsd is300 diff, the write up is somehwere on my.is

maybe ud be able to do the same for the sc diff
Old 08-02-11, 10:27 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

i'll take a look. im curious. MK3's are much easier to come by. MK4 supra are pretty much invisible
Old 08-02-11, 10:47 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

well the mk3 lsd into a is300 diff is pretty common. mk3s will hold 500+whp with no real issues. if i could get some mk3 parts to measure and do some test fitting, id bet there would be a market in SC guys wanting the swap.
Old 08-02-11, 11:12 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

i wish i had the means.
Old 08-04-11, 04:15 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no status yet???
Old 08-04-11, 07:13 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

i figured i could easily save up enough $$ in the time it takes to for a welded diff to go out. so my original goals were to save money, so ill do whats free and weld my diff. if i go thru a set of axles and tires then break my diff i still will have spent less then doing this swap. then do it right with a suupra auto LSD. my dad had to talk some sense into me haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mk3 supra pumpkin into a SC