IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight's do not turn off automatically! Killing my battery!

Old 07-29-10, 09:22 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight's do not turn off automatically! Killing my battery!

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my headlamps not turning off automatically.

This happens primarily if I switch the light into the second position... I don't know what it is called, but it is the position directly above OFF.

The headlights can potentially not turn off automatically if I have it set to the low beam position (2 clicks from OFF).

If I set it the AUTO position, it is usually fine. It'll turn off by itself after 30 seconds.

I'm positive that I have this feature (turn off headlight after 30 seconds) enabled as my LPS.

When I walked back from a 2 hour dinner and I saw my lights were on, I freaked out thinking the battery was out of juice. Fortunately, that was not the case. Furthermore, this happened on two occassions!

Am I missing something or Is the LPS feature is suppose to work only when the light is toggled in the AUTO setting?

Please advise!
Old 07-29-10, 09:31 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no it's supposed to turn off after a while. but if you're having problems with that you should just force it by double clicking the lock button on the remote when you leave.
Old 07-29-10, 10:04 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this has been discussed many times: the Auto feature, don't use it.
Old 07-29-10, 11:01 PM
kl323
Pole Position

@ba-b4, I've tried that. Doesn't really force the lights to shutdown. Only way to get them to turn off is to get in the car and force them off that way.

@llamaboiz, Are you referring to the LPS feature or the AUTO position on the headlamp switch? I personally don't like the latter, I drive through lots of tunnels and I don't want the on and off to shorten the life of my HIDs.
Old 07-30-10, 03:14 AM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my headlights turn off after i press lock twice on my fob. so just lock twice when u get out of the car
Old 07-30-10, 09:02 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestfyu
my headlights turn off after i press lock twice on my fob. so just lock twice when u get out of the car
Same here...
Old 07-30-10, 09:06 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I've noticed that if you turn your heads to the off position then to the on position AFTER turning the car off, the lights don't automatically turn off. If you did it before turning the car off, the lights will.

Don't know if that helps you or not. Regardless I always turn my lights off with my keyfob after reaching where I need go after I get out of the car.
Old 07-30-10, 09:34 AM
kl323
Pole Position

Hmm... I feel like this defeats the purpose of the automatic shutoff feature.

All of other cars turn off the lights regardless of what I do. Once ignition is off, after a few seconds, the lights will shut down.

Going to try the double lock thing with the door and see if that works. I rarely reach for the keyfob in my pocket.
Old 07-30-10, 09:44 AM
huntarrr
Rookie

They will turn off after about 30 seconds if you do NOT press the lock button twice. If you do, they will turn off instantly. It's as simple as that...
Old 07-30-10, 09:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kl323
Hmm... I feel like this defeats the purpose of the automatic shutoff feature.

All of other cars turn off the lights regardless of what I do. Once ignition is off, after a few seconds, the lights will shut down.

Going to try the double lock thing with the door and see if that works. I rarely reach for the keyfob in my pocket.
I agree--the feature should would the way it's intended. They should shut off automatically in AUTO, ON or Parking light mode. If not, and you are under warranty, have the dealer look at it.

Personally, I'd rather manually turn the lights to OFF then have to press the key fob 2x. It's in my pocket or briefcase, and that's where it stays--that's why I wanted a SmartKey.
Old 07-30-10, 11:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Along with not working if you switch them back ON if the car is OFF

From what I remember...

The Auto OFF feature might not work if you shut the car down with the door open... (that's in any of the 2 positions) ..

In other words... Shut the car down... door opens.. door closes.. 30 seconds later the lights Turn OFF

I think, but i will & can test it later..

Joe Z
Old 07-30-10, 03:37 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 516is
same here...
+1....................
Old 07-31-10, 10:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Along with not working if you switch them back ON if the car is OFF

From what I remember...

The Auto OFF feature might not work if you shut the car down with the door open... (that's in any of the 2 positions) ..

In other words... Shut the car down... door opens.. door closes.. 30 seconds later the lights Turn OFF

I think, but i will & can test it later..

Joe Z
I tried this today--lights still turned off.
Old 10-24-12, 09:52 AM
purliss
Driver School Candidate

Having the same problem. Even double clicking lock on the key fob button does not work. Any fix?
Old 10-24-12, 11:41 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought auto off only works with the switch in the Auto position and the LPS feature allows to set the time delay for when the light turns off. In headlight/marker light on position, the headlights will stay on even after the car is off and locked, unless it is double locked through the key fob.

There are conditions where auto off will be disabled, such as when the door is opened before the car is off, but again, the lights can be forced off through a double lock on the key fob.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight's do not turn off automatically! Killing my battery!