RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A brand new 2013 RX350: Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 10:38 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A brand new 2013 RX350: Problems

Problem #1 (NOT resolved as of today): There is a rattle coming from somewhere on the passenger side. The noise appears to come from the AC vent on that side and a Lexus tech confirmed it last weekend during a test drive. He was dead sure about it too. Fast forward this week, we get a different tech for some reason and he insists he has to conduct another test drive to duplicate the problem. My parents drove to the dealership against my advise and sure enough they say "it's normal." I just drove it for about an hour with no radio and there is still the rattle sound from the passenger side (possibly from the AC vent). This rattle "kicks in" only on a "rough" road at around 40-50 mph. It does not happen on a smooth road or at higher speeds. To my dismay, I also seem to hear a creaking noise of some sort from the center console area...possibly from the nav screen area.

Problem #2 (Resolved): There was a little paint overspray on the plastic piece at the top of the steering wheel. It really is nothing but a small "dot" that you can feel with your finger when your put your hands on the steering wheel. Frankly, my parents didn't even notice it until I told them but I asked the tech to take a look at it last week when I went to the dealership for Problem #1 above. The dealership ended up replacing the whole damn steering wheel, which was like $2300 .

Problem #3 (Resolved): Actually there were other areas in the cabin with some rattles. One in the back and one right by the driver's ear somewhere along the roofline. These are all resolved by the Lexus tech.

Obviously, I am happy that they took care of Problem #2 and #3, but I feel like we are getting a run-around when it comes to Problem #1. I'm not really sure why they wouldn't allow us to work with the tech who confirmed the noise in the vent but it seems like they are giving me no choice but to go over there personally and "twist some arms." What do you think?

Do any of you have similar problems?

Last edited by Gymniac; 10-18-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 11:06 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rattles can take a few attempts to resolve. This can involve multiple road tests to try and isolate the problem. You need to just keep working with Lexus. My suggestion would be get someone that is young and has excellent hearing to go out with you and move around in the car until they can really isolate the problem. This will be helpful in describing the problem to Lexus. Statements like the noise appears to be coming from the passenger side are a pretty general starting point for Lexus.
Old 10-19-12, 08:54 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car two weeks ago. its been in the shop for a full week getting the rattles out. even though I should be mad, but I have never been given a car of equal value as loaner. one time my Corvette was in the shop for a month. I got a cobalt as a loanet
Old 10-19-12, 10:50 AM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We have 2 Honda vehicles (CRV-EXL and Odyssey van). We are looking at a new RX 350. Reading this thread is causing me to think is changing from Honda to Lexus is a good idea or not. Pay more and quality goes down?
Old 10-19-12, 11:12 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Build quality on the RX has definitely gone down, but the material quality is definitely higher than the Honda's. Is it worth the extra $20-30K, probably not. You cant justify car purchases with money sometimes.
Old 10-19-12, 03:29 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth85
We have 2 Honda vehicles (CRV-EXL and Odyssey van). We are looking at a new RX 350. Reading this thread is causing me to think is changing from Honda to Lexus is a good idea or not. Pay more and quality goes down?
noise can also increase with colder weather.

Honda vehicles are notorious of being "noisiest”. Most common complaint on Odyssey was noise and Honda went all out on current fourth generation Odyssey but still not the quietest. Newer Lexus vehicles are so quiet, we can hear all kinds of little noise that are normally masked in other none luxury brands. “cossie1600” probably has legitimate noise problem but definitely not norm for Lexus.
Old 10-19-12, 06:28 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Sorry, a brand new car shouldn't rattle, hot or cold.

Do a search on the 3rd gen forum, tons of rattles reported. My Prius and my Z rattle less even though they are noisier. My car's been in the shop for 8 days now trying to get rattles fixed in the door!
Old 10-20-12, 10:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I must lead a charmed life .... two Lexus's with total of 8 years of ownership and zero rattles in either of them, and I have excellent hearing. I have no issues regarding build quality .... it is excellent. My RX is Japan built and I think it makes a difference regardless of the claim that the Canadian vehicles are built to the same standards ..... maybe so on paper but the people assembling them are worlds apart in background and culture.
Old 10-20-12, 07:40 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I must lead a charmed life .... two Lexus's with total of 8 years of ownership and zero rattles in either of them, and I have excellent hearing. I have no issues regarding build quality .... it is excellent. My RX is Japan built and I think it makes a difference regardless of the claim that the Canadian vehicles are built to the same standards ..... maybe so on paper but the people assembling them are worlds apart in background and culture.
I couldn't agree more. I don't want a japanese car built in America or Canada. My RX is built in Canada and i have issues with it that I still need the dealer to address. If I buy another Lexus in a couple months im gonna make sure I get something that was built in Japan like it should have been in the first place. If you don't agree then your entitled to your own opinion but thats how I feel, so don't tell me im wrong for thinking that.
Old 10-21-12, 04:46 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Different Cultures

So far, all of my RX's have been Japanese manufactured and rock solid. I agree the plants are set up to the same standards but you're still dealing with unions and different cultures. Maybe it's that or luck of the draw but when I switched from German to Japanese cars (for my own), they just seemed to be more dependable and screwed together just a bit better. I have to stay with what works for me. Even the best cameras and right now, I have (that I still use) 4 Japanese cameras (3 digital Nikon's and one Fuji X100). Different uses for each camera. Given that I have to admit I wish I still had the two Leica M3's (film cameras) that were stolen from me when visiting NY back in Jan of '68.
Originally Posted by Sevn86
I couldn't agree more. I don't want a japanese car built in America or Canada. My RX is built in Canada and i have issues with it that I still need the dealer to address. If I buy another Lexus in a couple months im gonna make sure I get something that was built in Japan like it should have been in the first place. If you don't agree then your entitled to your own opinion but thats how I feel, so don't tell me im wrong for thinking that.
Old 10-21-12, 06:40 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

not ONE problem or rattle with my CANADIAN built Lexus after 6 months of ownership; and I expected it to have the quiet and comfort of my former Town Car; It does!!! Guess the shift that built mine was closer to the seemingly "wonderful" Japanese plant!!!!
Old 10-21-12, 08:50 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I have a 11 Japanese built RX450h, the car rattle. I have been driving a 10 canadian built RX350. They both rattle!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-12, 09:40 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 12 Japanese built RX450h with not one issue period. My neighbor owns a 2011 Canadian built RX350 and has stated his vehicle has never rattled and has yet to have a problem.
Old 10-21-12, 06:11 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

This is my first canadian built Lexus. No problems. My other Lexus cars were all made in Japan without problems, too. Even my IS was fine.
Old 11-09-12, 04:24 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own any Lexus RX, but soon (if tomorrow's deal goes well.)

I owned 2 American built Honda/Acura. 98 Accord and 02 TL. Both squeaked/rattled when brand new, from the door panel or from the dash, etc etc. For some reason, both cars had no squeaking/rattling after like 30-40K miles.. I guess dust/dirt buildup helped to insulate them?

My just-sold 08 Japanese built TSX has very minor rattle on driver side door and steering column throughout my 5 yrs of ownership. I didn't bother to get dealer to correct them as I don't want them to take interior panels apart.

Ya I do agree getting squeak/rattle fixed is pain in the ***.

Hopefully I will have better luck on my next car.. I have never owned Toyota/Lexus before. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: A brand new 2013 RX350: Problems