ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Es 300 Rear Sub Removal

Old 09-11-08, 11:48 AM
JSR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Es 300 Rear Sub Removal

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the forum. I just purchased a 2002 es300 with the mark levinson sound system. It sounds like the rear sub is blown. does anyone know how to remove this sub? i am going to replace it but need some guidance.

thanks!!
Old 09-11-08, 09:48 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

You've got quite a task on your hands! You will have to remove the entire back seat, the C pillar covers, and the rear deck to get to that sub. There's quite a few steps. But before you do anything, it's a good idea to unplug the battery so that you don't accidentally deploy an airbag. Good luck.
Old 09-12-08, 05:21 PM
JSR
Driver School Candidate

could you give me those steps and any other tips?

thanks
Old 09-12-08, 07:48 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To bad its not a 2001 then it takes about 5 min
Old 09-12-08, 09:29 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

I'll have to search around and see if I can get you some better directions but until then....from what I remember.

1) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2) Remove the bottom of the rear seat assembly by pulling up on it. There are two clips....one underneath the seat on each side. It's probably best if you pull one side a loose at a time. When both clips are disengaged pull the seat bottom toward the front of the car and up carefully.

3) Next remove the back of the rear seat assembly by first removing the four bolts that should now be visible at the bottom of the seat back. You also have to detach the seat belts from the seat back. You'll need a Philips screwdriver to unscrew the screws. And you will need a flat head screwdriver to disengage the clips. Then you must disengage 3 metal clips behind the seat by pulling up and outward on the seat back. This should completely release the seat back.

4) Next you must remove the covers on the C pillars. There are about 5 or 6 clips in there. I can't remember an exact technique for removing these clips but I think all the clips pop out with simple outward pressure. The one in the top corner facing you on either pillar might need some special care though. I remember it being a little tricky.

5)Then you must remove the rear deck by disengaging several clips underneath it. Lift up but be careful because some of the clips are easy to break. You should be able to slide the rear deck out of the way once all the clips are disengaged and you disconnect the third brake light wiring harness.

6) At this point, you should have access to the subwoofer. Note: I never removed my subwoofer. I just know how to get to it from another mod. I think you need a socket wrench to remove it so it should be straightforward at that point in time.

The first time you do this...it will take a few hours unless you are the type that likes to rush and you don't mind breaking and replacing a few parts.

It's a quick rundown of the steps. If I find a more detailed description that I had laying around, I'll email it to you.

Last edited by mick_foley; 09-12-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 08:32 PM
JSR
Driver School Candidate

thanks alot for the info. i followed your instructions and everything went great. took out the mark levinson sub, cut the wiring harness off, spliced it and attached it to the replacement sub. made a wooden template so that i could line up the bolts from the factory speaker with the jl audio sub. came out great!
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Es 300 Rear Sub Removal-jlfront.jpg  
Old 09-18-08, 07:20 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

That's cool. Glad I could help.
Old 09-25-10, 05:48 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Ive seen other posts on repairing the sub by using the silicon or hot glue. They say you can repair it with out taking out the seats. Just pry off the speaker grill and apply glue. Can you tell me if PRYING off the speaker grill is possible with out causing permanent damage to the grill? If so how do you do it? Thanks
Old 09-25-10, 09:52 PM
vi3tprynce
Driver School Candidate

hey. how much was that JL audio sub? I will eventually replace my sub as well, but I don't have the money on hand at the moment. Did you need to buy another amp to run that sub?
Old 10-06-10, 01:27 AM
suneetb
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering the same thing! I want to change my stock subwoofer to something like a JL. Does it sound any better, without adding an amp? Or do you have to add an amp?

I have a lexus es300 2003
Old 09-29-12, 06:32 PM
jjakiun
Driver School Candidate

Default 1/2 way there

Follow direction in this string and another for my 2003 with the ML. Subwoofer sounded blown. I've removed seats and deck. Took about an hour and a half total with a break cause I got a frustrated and got real detailed with the caulk job. I used Alex Plus latex with silicone white. Did this so I could make sure I got all the tears. Applied generously and spread evenly. I'll put everything back together if the speaker is fixed. Keep you posted and thanks for the tips. Well worth the effort if it works.
Old 09-30-12, 06:39 AM
jjakiun
Driver School Candidate

Default Finioshed & Success

Well it took all of 20 minutes to put it back togehter. The cauld appears to be holding. I used Alex 35 latex with silicone. Sound is good. I can't tell it was ever blown/broken. Some things I did with my 2003.

Bottom back seat easily remove, grab corner and pull up hard
Upper Back seatDidn't unbolt seat belts, just undid clips and slid them around the outside of the top piece of back seat. The plastic pieces that hold belts in line have hold behind most, I just stuck a small screw driver in the hold and a flat head between and they opened.Dewault screw gun came in handy and so did the socket extenderBolts for upper back seat where 12MM
Deck RemovalLots of plastic clips and pins, I think 8. Squeeze and jiggle them and they pop up. I crawled into the back trunk and did it. Flashligt really helps! Clips were grey, black and white.
Sides of Deck were a pain, two downward pieces in the back make it hard to remove, I reach under the deck once I got all the pins and clips undone. Lots of jiggling

Total time to get at speaker and caulk about 1.5 hours, take a break if you get frustrated. Not too bad

20 minutes to get back together.

Cost $0 - I had the caulk from a painting job.

Thanks again to all on the forum that posted.

Total time to get at speaker about 1.5 hours, take a break if you get frustrated. Not too bad
Let caulk dry overnight - Alex 35 require 2 hours.
30 minutes to get back together.
Old 09-30-12, 08:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That sounds like a lot of work. I would have thought it would be easier considering it's right there on the rear deck.

At least you can find replacement subs for the ES though, the one in my RX is under the front passenger seat and there's no other more powerful units. But overall the sound system in my RX ( 210 watt stock) kicks *** compared to the ES (80 watt stock).
Old 10-01-12, 05:57 AM
mick_foley
Pole Position

There may be an easier way to get to the subwoofer but the instructions I originally used for getting to it were from Lexus if I recall correctly. So this is how the dealerships ideally would access the same area.
Old 10-01-12, 09:17 AM
Andrew211
Driver School Candidate

I've done this a couple time...(removed the seat to get to the sub)...replaced it a couple times with another factory one and eventually has the same problem. Not sure if an aftermarket one will be compatable with the ML system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Es 300 Rear Sub Removal